What are A.I Certificates?

Help Support CattleToday:

rockcreekfarm

Reaction score
I am new to A.I and I have been buying my semen from select sires, I was looking on the ABS and Genex websites and saw something about A.I Certificates and I was wanting to know if anyone could tell me what they are and what the are used for?

rockcreekfarm":30c762id said:
I am new to A.I and I have been buying my semen from select sires, I was looking on the ABS and Genex websites and saw something about A.I Certificates and I was wanting to know if anyone could tell me what they are and what the are used for?
the AI certiicates have tobe bought with the semen to reg the calves if the cows are reg.if you dont have them for that bull then you cant reg the calves.some charge extra for the certs.

Not all breed associations use them anymore.
If your breed assocation requires them you cna buy them after the calves are born and you decide to regester them, that way you don;t pay for something you won;t use.

dun":3by6b61y said:
If your breed assocation requires them you cna buy them after the calves are born and you decide to regester them, that way you don;t pay for something you won;t use.
an if you buy them the way your talking about it can cost you an extra $50 to $75 pre cert.if you assoc requires them id buy them when i buy the semen.

bigbull338":2pzqc8gn said:
dun":2pzqc8gn said:
an if you buy them the way your talking about it can cost you an extra $50 to $75 pre cert.if you assoc requires them id buy them when i buy the semen.
Good idea, buy 5 units of semen and get 3 live calves worth registering and have the other 2 certs tying up your money.

bigbull338":28b5iy5r said:
your right on 5 straws 3 certs are all youll need in most cases.
So why not buy them as you need them? The Red Angus association did away with them. Know anyone that needs some Red Angus semen certs?

but most semen cos require you to buy a rack of 10 straws of semen at a time.the AHA required certs on all reg bulls calves through AI.an BBU requires certs on all AI calves reg.so if certs are required its best to get 5 certs.

bigbull338":159soe41 said:
but most semen cos require you to buy a rack of 10 straws of semen at a time.the AHA required certs on all reg bulls calves through AI.an BBU requires certs on all AI calves reg.so if certs are required its best to get 5 certs.
You need to change studs. I've bought semen 5 at a time for 30 years. You can always get the certs at a later date and save to upfront dollars. I think too many people have the certs so they figure they might as well register the calf. Wrong way to do things in my opinion.

Whatever breed you are using for AI, check out their rules. Everybody does it a little bit different. If you don't plan to register the calves you won't need them either.

I just bought 3 registered hereford heifers and was going to try and A.I them. I bought 5 straws from Select Sires last month and the guy did not say anything about a certificate that why I was wandering if I needed them or not? Does anyone know if the AHA requires them?

rockcreekfarm":28r98mv5 said:
I just bought 3 registered hereford heifers and was going to try and A.I them. I bought 5 straws from Select Sires last month and the guy did not say anything about a certificate that why I was wandering if I needed them or not? Does anyone know if the AHA requires them?
your best bet is to call the AHA office an see if they still require the certs to reg AI sired calves.i know they required them 22yrs ago but that mayve changed by now.

rockcreekfarm":cplt9rwe said:
What bull did you use? I believe there are a couple of Select Sire bulls that do not require semen certificates. They call them Non-Certificate Sires.

rockcreekfarm":2piet6yw said:
Im using Traditions Legend, I going to breed them June 1st so they will have march calves.
You don't need to buy certificates to register calves from him.

rockcreekfarm":3oue1pmi said:

I hope I can give you a clear answer on certs for Herefords (AHA), most AI bulls sell just the semen and then sell a cert if you decide to keep and reg. the calf. So if I was using the Legend bull for AI I would just buy the staws of semen and wait until calves hit the ground. When they are on the ground and developed enough to see their worth as future herd pospects then I can buy a certificate from the breeder or semen provider so they can be registered. So if I AI 10 cows to Legend and got 5 bull calves and 5 heifers, but only one heifer looked good enough to keep as part of your registered herd I would only need to buy cert. = less cost per AI calf. That's the most of it for Herefords.

Some Hereford AI bulls are non- cert bulls, but with added cost to the semen, meaning it is not necessary to buy a cert, all calves born to a registered cow can be registered at an extra semen cost. IMO is a bit of a waste of money since I only register about 10 to 20 percent of my calves, 99.9% of my bull calves are culled or freezer steers and only a few heifers make the grade to bump some one in the herd.

Hope this helps,
Alan

Latest posts