What about this guy?

Help Support CattleToday:

Ryan

Reaction score
Sanddollar Die Hard
D.O.B. 3-2-2006
Hip Height on 1-21-2008 - ~57.5"
Tip to Tip on 1-21-2008 - ~44.5"

He weighed 1190lbs on 6-6-2007, that was the last time we weighed him. He was the #2 ADG 2006-born bull at the World Show this summer. He won his class at our World Show in both the Open and Youth shows. His dam is one of our top producers, and he is the last born calf out of his sire.

The bulls around him were all born late spring 2007 (april/may)

Criticisms? Thoughts? I know what my thoughts are on him, and what I like and would change about him.

Sanddollar_Die_Hard_-_01_Medium_.jpg

Ryan

Nice looking bull! Like his color. Clean naval flap, very nice hindquarters, but could use some more hip. Topline is ok for a bull. He does look "bully" in head. Nice deep body. Nice "beef type" longhorn! Congrats!

KNERSIE":2yjsc4k4 said:
Nice "beef type" longhorn!

As opposed to?

I'm glad you asked that question... Opposed to: The other bulls out there that are bred strictly for horn. There are many breeders out there who believe there are Dairy Cattle, Beef Cattle and Texas Longhorns (I'm not one of them, I think Longhorns are Beef Cattle... well we're working on that).

Ryan

I have had very little to do with Longhorns but I would say thats one nicely put together beef bull regardless of breed. From the picture he is very hard to fault structurally.
Congratulations
Goddy

Syd Sydney":1p4d613h said:
He was the #2 ADG 2006-born bull at the World Show this summer

If that is what he was why are you even asking anyone on here what they think?

I like sharing pictures and getting other opinions on animals. Maybe someone will notice something that I have missed.

Ryan":33klk2dv said:
Syd Sydney":33klk2dv said:
He was the #2 ADG 2006-born bull at the World Show this summer

If that is what he was why are you even asking anyone on here what they think?

I like sharing pictures and getting other opinions on animals. Maybe someone will notice something that I have missed.

In my naive, knowledge deficient brain, I "think" what Ryan might have been asking was for opinions from other Longhorn and Non-Longhorn breeders as to the "actual" quality of his bull.

I do not think, however, there is a 100% (1.00 positive correlation) between what any given show and judge(s) thinks is high end actually translates to 100% high end all of the time. Judges and shows are usually "uncontrollable variables" unless Vito Correleone (aka "The Godfather") makes them an offer they can't refulse... ;-)

He's nice Ryan but I'd like more butt on him if I could change him. Maybe hang his nutts a little straiter and add a tic of bone. You have very nice cattle.

ollie?":l4rlcmyy said:
...but I'd like more butt on him if I could change him...

That is our number one concern with him. He is put together pretty good (could be better), has great growth and frame, and good genetics ...However... we would like to see more muscle and natural thickness in him, especially in the rear. He's gained weight really well and grown great in regards to frame size, but he's always had that look about him that he could stand to be 100 - 150 lbs heavier. I guess that is the main reason he is not higher in our books and we go back and forth on our thoughts about his future here, just doesn't have the natural thickness and muscle as our other bulls.

Lots of give and take between him and our other bulls. We say we wish he'd been born about 5 or 6 years earlier that way would could put our current bulls on his daughters.

Thanks again to all for the comments and thoughts on him.

Ryan

For those interested... I weighed him today (2-3-08) and he weighed in at 1740 lbs.

Ryan

Latest posts