What about this for first aid kit

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
If you need to keep all of that on hand you've got some serious problems that need to be addressed.

I would keep some excenel, banamine, and dexamethasone around. None of them have a really long withhold.

I think an excellent vaccination program for your herd would be the best option. It's not right that your neighbors let their problems run around, but since that's the case a strict repiratory vaccination program would be a cost saver.

Maybe a shoot-on-sight policy would make their fences better. ;-)

I'd have to question your vet if you have unlimited access to some of those. My vet won't dispense NuFlor, Draxxin, or any antibiotic stronger than oxytet by the bottle. Case by Case basis only.

dyates":8qavmyhk said:
I'd have to question your vet if you have unlimited access to some of those. My vet won't dispense NuFlor, Draxxin, or any antibiotic stronger than oxytet by the bottle. Case by Case basis only.

I have a really good vet that will let me get anything in bulk that is needed.
But we have been doing business for years and he knows my herd, and what we do.

I do suggest that you keep nuflor, la200, and lute.
But thats just for the odd weekend when everything goes wrong.
Havnt had one for awhile, but I am sure that I will see a wreck happen again.
It always seems to go down at the wrong times? At least for me?

If you need to prepare for more than that you have bigger problems then needs to be talked about on a net board?

TNMBP,The other day on a post Ryans March bull, in response to Doc Harris, you claimed,
Doc you are misled. I am owner, operator, manager, ceo, cfo, etc, feeder, groomer, vet, etc to my cattle. Only thing I dont do is preg check and ai
. TNMBP, Most all vets I know of already have all the supplies they need in their truck or office and wouldn't have to put together a first aid kit.

Our first aid kit depends on the season
If it's calving:
LA200
anafin (non steriod anti inflam)
oxytocin
lute
electrolytes
nuflor
chains
dophram
epinephrine
benedryl (advice from vet)
drench bag
thermometer
a/d/e/sel
Syringes with label of drug so as to not mix up

Scours if they hit:
sulfa boluses
sulfa injectable
electrolytes
drench bag
thermometer

vaccination time:
epinephrine
LA200

dyates":1tlpsdm5 said:

Depends how well a vet knows his/her clients as to what they'll hand over. Nuflor is a little drug compared to some of the stuff my vet hands out to me. :p

I have everything from vaccines/wormer to antibiotics (LA200, Nuflor, Baytril, Twin Penn, etc) to oral drugs (spectam, sulfas, kaopec, activated charcoal, etc) to surgery supplies (needles, catgut, etc) to IV equipment, IV fluids, milk replacer, local and general anesthetic, epinephrine, anti-inflammatories/pain meds (Banamine, dexamethasone), vitamins (B12, E, A, D), minerals (Bo-Se, Multi-min), tubing equipment, stethoscopes, thermometers, oral electrolytes, syringes, needles, etc, etc. It's not a collection I acquired overnight; it's been years of owning cows and learning from my vet, and they're all things that I bought as I needed them. Some things I always keep on hand; thermometer, basic antibiotics, IV fluids, pain meds - esp when I have young calves - but others I only get when I need them, such as vaccines or the more expensive antibiotics (ie Draxxin). I also have access (at the dairy) to a lot of hormone drugs like Lute, oxytocin, GnRH and other antibiotics like Excede, mastitis treatments like Quartermaster, IV fluids like CMPK and dextrose, etc.

Note that a lot of the stuff I have wouldn't be part of my collection if I didn't have a VERY good relationship with my vet. The majority of the drugs are prescription only, as are many of the vitamins/minerals and even IV fluids are hard to get from some vets. The best thing you can do is develop a good relationship with one of the vets in your area. I've used my vet exclusively for some 4-5 years, and he knows what I know and what I can and cannot do -- which is why he's willing to hand over a lot of that prescription-only stuff. It's related to trust.

TN -- you don't need both dex and predef2x. They're essentially the same thing. You also don't need both types of penicillin, JMO. I only keep Twin Penn.

Too late Crowder the job is taken by TTCLM, Cattlemanfrom outerspace, Tmbs'er and his other names :D :D
You know a shot of dex and La 200 will cure all! :roll: :roll:

As I clicked on the thread - I noticed it was posted by TN, and I regretted clicking - but, low & behold, his post IS NOT THERE!!! where did it go?? I get the gist of what he posted by all your comments.
MM - I don't know very many producers with a better supply on hand than we have - but you sure beat us - of course, that's goiNg to be your BUSINESS!

LA200 cures the pink eye. And it does a good job. What else is it good for? I don't use it for anything besides pink eye and that doesn't come around but about once every three years.

upfrombottom":138om5rr said:
I usually keep some Aleve and Rolaids in mine and take them before get started on the cows.
Best idea yet.
Take what you know you need for the day. No matter what else you take you won't need it. You always need what you don't have.

upfrombottom":2vp8dy3t said:
I usually keep some Aleve and Rolaids in mine and take them before get started on the cows.

Don't forget a nerve tablet. Better keep a whole bottle of them. The cows will need one too!

rocky61":oq8v4lv6 said:
has anyone used LA 300

Yes, I use a product called Tetradure manufactured my Merial which is tetracycline 300mg/mL. It is quite a bit more expensive than LA 200 but the dose is 1/3 less. It also has a longer drug duration than LA 200. A real downside of the drug is that it can cause lameness in the front leg on the same side as the neck injection. I have seen many lame calves that were given Teradure at induction (the lameness goes away in a week or so). I personally use it for doctoring bulls or cows on pasture as the dose is less and I don't have to stab them near as many times!

Latest posts