What a day...

Help Support CattleToday:

:lol: A bad day of doing what you love is better than a good day of anything less than what you love any day. :nod:
As far as trailers are concerned, I have days where I can back uphill on a winding road for a couple of hundred yards without stopping to find a place for a neighbor to get by me with his trailer and then I have days where backing up in a straight line to load out is to much to ask. :lol:
One time my dad and I were going to get into the registered business with red angus cows and the ranch we were buying them from finally felt sorry enough for us trying to back up to the loading chute in his old 2wd pickup sliding in the wet grass that they finally saddled a couple of horses and brought the dogs out and loaded us about thirty feet in front of the load out. :oops: Now I wish I'd have realized what we had in those particular cows and I wish my dad and I had gotten along better so we'd still have the progeny from them.

I been backing trailers since I was a kid. I had a good day too. My feet hurt walked around bout 8 hrs at an equipment auction with Highgrit and his son.

dont feel bad back in 89 my dad bought a new f250.so insted of taking his old truck to get a fresh cow up he took the new 1.well he pulled it even with the gate to make a lane.got the cow going up to the gate she stops and backs into the drivers side door caving it in.so dents and dings happen.

Tim,
Congrats on the purchase. I have no problems backing up ive been doing it for years. I have found if you use your personal vehicle that you want to remain nice for farm work you will tear it all to pieces. If you can get a cheap farm truck to haul and do your farm work I would suggest that before you tear it all to pieces. I taught my sister how to back with a trailer and I had to keep telling her slow down once she realized it was no fire to put out and started taking her time she manages pretty well.

Sounds like a rough day, but as long as you learned something out of it, consider it a good day. Next time you go to back up a trailer, try putting one hand on the bottom of the steering wheel. My dad told my wife about that trick and it greatly helped her with backing up. If you have a gooseneck, goosenecks are somewhat tougher as they swing more than pivot like a bumper pull.

I'm by no means an expert at backing up a trailer, but I find it much easier to do if you can line up straight to where you're trying to back up and just slowly making your way there, also try not to overcorrect the wheel because it doesn't work very well with the trailer in the back.

A towbar or gooseneck hitch is quite simple, I remember my dad teaching me "just follow the trailer -slowly". A turntable drawbar and hitch is something I'd rather not talk about :shock:

When I was 15 and just started driving, my dad put me in his crew cab F350 standard transmission diesel and had me hook up to his 16 ft flatbed car hauler that I could barely even see from the drivers seat. He told me to back it into the gate from the road, down towards our barn and line it up to my moms car as if we would be loading the car onto the trailer. It was probably a good 400 feet from the road to the car. He told me I wasn't getting out of the truck until I learned how to back up a trailer. It probably took me 3 hours and I'm not sure how his clutch survived that ordeal, but I figured it out, albeit with a pretty sore left leg from all that clutching.

I find that the longer a trailer is, the easier it is to back up. I do better going uphill with a 24 ft stock trailer than flat ground with a 12 ft dump or flat trailer. In any case, it's nothing more than practice required before you can get to where it's almost second nature. Taking it as slow as possible with very slight corrections is the key. Having good tow mirrors and watching the trailer without having to turn your head around is helpful as well.

If you ever want to feel better about your skills, go sit at a boat ramp and bring some popcorn. I swear half the people I see at a boat ramp must have never been in a truck before, much less backed up a trailer.

When I was learning to back a trailer I was always told to "turn towards trouble". If you turn towards what you don't want to hit you will go opposite. My dad is also a truck driver though so I was made to go back into every nook and cranny as soon as I was old enough to drive. I have also learned that the longer the trailer the slower it reacts to the wheel. And one more thing, if the vehicle is longer than the trailer it makes it more difficult. I have an extended cab long bed and a 11 foot trailer. It can be difficult to back at times, but I have gotten pretty used to it. I started out of the farm one day and almost got stuck. I had to back downhill through 2 gates around a feeder and then dog leg a sharp turn to get back out of the loading pen. Talk about sweating bullets. A.) Because at the time I was borrowing the trailer from a neighbor and B.) There was no going forward to straighten up. I had one chance to get through lol.. My only explanation is the good Lord was watching over me as I was backing up.

Lets get back on the Holstein bull lol maybe if he bred anything you should have a good replacement heifer with his mix if it comes out a heifer. I would rather it be a heifer then a steer in that case for sure. Just thought I would throw that in lol.

Big Cheese":3p4tytam said:
Lets get back on the Holstein bull lol maybe if he bred anything you should have a good replacement heifer with his mix if it comes out a heifer. I would rather it be a heifer then a steer in that case for sure. Just thought I would throw that in lol.
Yikes! Holstein bull on dexter cows.......that's not a good thing!

Taurus":11cq84ia said:
Big Cheese":11cq84ia said:
Yikes! Holstein bull on dexter cows.......that's not a good thing!

Didnt know he had dexter cows yea thats not good! Still would be a good milker though lol

Latest posts