What a day

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
The boss decided yesterday to take a chance and cut hay. It has rained everyday for the past three months so you have to admire his optimistic outlook. Got up this morning planning to spend the day trying to get what he cut dried. Jacob called and told me the purchased heifer that had a True North calf in her had calved, crap she isn't due until the 27 th this can't be good. I asked him how tiny is the calf he estimated 60 to 65 pounds but since she had just calved wanted to leave her alone for a bit. I went over a few hours later he said he saw her take the calf to the back of the pasture, he was running the hay Tedder so didn't see exactly where, he did tell me to watch the heifer cause she acted like she would jump in your pocket. I spent the next couple hours looking for the calf, never did find it. I am quite sure it's fine the heifer would watch me like a hawk but never gave it up and it was obvious she had been nursed. I called the breeder he is going to check dates the calf is just mighty active for three week premie. We had a cow I sent to the sale barn last year she was a 2005 model, unless you saw her calve you wouldn't see her baby for at least two weeks, she was the master of hide today reminded me of 525 I sure miss that old cow. We made it through the day with no rain it rained at the home place but not at the farm. Tonight our AC went out while trying to get it going we managed to flood the house, nothing like having to empty the catch all under the stair storage at 9:00 after a full day in the hay field. The positive side of this is the storage area looks great. hopefully we can bale hay tomorrow and I can find the calf.

I know the feeling on the hidden calf.
I sold my "master of the hide" this year.
Sure miss the ol gal, but I've got her son breeding some cows. So I'll live..

Managed to tear down some fence while moving hay last. Both pickups gave me trouble too. Alternator locked up on one. The other went to overheating for no apparent reason. But I got the squares all loaded and tarped. And a drop or 3 of rain came at 2 am.

Good times!
Good times!

Just the opposite; went late yesterday evening to check the cows . Drive through the heifers and 2nd calf momma's . Notice a crowd standing around a first calf heifer. She's busy cleaning up a new born with an audience of about 12 watching the precedings . Out in the open , middle of the pasture. Caused me to get up early before church this morning to see where she was . Going to give her an atta girl . She had moved him to the shade .

Just the opposite; went late yesterday evening to check the cows . Drive through the heifers and 2nd calf momma's . Notice a crowd standing around a first calf heifer. She's busy cleaning up a new born with an audience of about 12 watching the precedings . Out in the open , middle of the pasture. Caused me to get up early before church this morning to see where she was . Going to give her an atta girl . She had moved him to the shade .
Always reminds me of the circle of life.
Lion king I think it was

We had a dairy goat that would stop labor and delivery if we went to look in and saw her. She wanted to keep her kids (we always took them away since she was kept for milk). LOL

13BECB08-13E2-4F00-A869-62FACDF2DA72.jpeg
Found it still don't know what it is but thinking heifer. Dam is A Raindance Out of an 004 daughter I can wait lol. The guys busted their butts trying to get hay up today Managed to get the majority of it baled before the bottom fell out. The good news is what got baled should be really good hay. Hopefully can get what's left dried out and baled it will be good belly wadding to tighten them up once we put them on ryegrass this winter. It won't go to waste.503435DF-1A8F-4425-B538-9F19A38C729C.jpegthis was taken just before the bottom fell out. The rest of these girls should be calving late September through October.

4E7816A5-4165-46E4-80E8-F931170A7B70.jpegA4EE60A8-8E21-4B30-A785-64CBC85C48F6.jpeg
I think she is going to be a really good mamma

Last edited:

Latest posts