wet bull--8000v--he's mad

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
I heard the bulls bellowing and snorting a couple weeks ago, could see the red bull where he was supposed to be, pawin and raising cain, and could hear but couldn't see the Charolais so I got on the tractor, drove around the pond and went to look.

may2014007_zps02dc6b34.jpg

That sucker had decided he would swim that 12' deep channel, go thru the 5 strand and try the red bull on for size, but when he went up the other bank where the fence is, he ran into a hot wire that's tied to a Zareba EAC100Mile charger. POW! again--POW!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
By the time I got close enough to use my phone camera, he had changed his mind, swam back accross , was mad as the dickens and made a run at the tractor but his heart wasn't in it.
That was his first encounter with that charger. The red bull learned his lesson long ago.

:lol: Dang, I am glad you weren't a foot! :lol:

"Wet bull" and "hot fence" make a pretty good training session! :lol:

greybeard":2k1kttpi said:
I heard the bulls bellowing and snorting a couple weeks ago, could see the red bull where he was supposed to be, pawin and raising cain, and could hear but couldn't see the Charolais so I got on the tractor, drove around the pond and went to look.

may2014007_zps02dc6b34.jpg

That sucker had decided he would swim that 12' deep channel, go thru the 5 strand and try the red bull on for size, but when he went up the other bank where the fence is, he ran into a hot wire that's tied to a Zareba EAC100Mile charger. POW! again--POW!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
By the time I got close enough to use my phone camera, he had changed his mind, swam back accross , was mad as the dickens and made a run at the tractor but his heart wasn't in it.
That was his first encounter with that charger. The red bull learned his lesson long ago.

I have 4 chargers and 3 put out 8000V and one that does 14,000 my bull and the neighbors stand about 5 foot from the
fence and beller. I had the hot one turned off for a couple of months this winter when I had the cows closed out.
I guess neighbors bull forgot about it when I let the cows back in and turned it on. He had stuck his head through the
neighbors fence and hit that hot wire made a mess when he went in reverse.

It is extremely satisfying to see them get their pecker knocked soft and get back where they are supposed to be.

Don't really know what the voltage is on this one--8K is as high as my tester goes. This one is advertised at 6 joules, but dunno for sure about the V.

You put up a picture of your bull? Now you are going to get 201 evaluations. :lol: I will start. He has mud on his face.

Is there not much topographic relief where you live? I find some challenges living in "these here hills" but one of them is NOT standing water. If there is water here, it is moving!!!

inyati13":x848pm92 said:
You put up a picture of your bull? Now you are going to get 201 evaluations. :lol: I will start. He has mud on his face.

Is there not much topographic relief where you live? I find some challenges living in "these here hills" but one of them is NOT standing water. If there is water here, it is moving!!!
I think those are really tears. :lol2:

branguscowgirl":16xek5g2 said:
:lol: Dang, I am glad you weren't a foot! :lol:

"Wet bull" and "hot fence" make a pretty good training session! :lol:
:lol2: :nod: :clap: Good fencer! You should submit your picture and story to the company to use as an advertisement. Nice bull by the way.

inyati13":3v04k43d said:

It moves here too----very very slowly. My property is an old alluvial plain. Centuries of the little river spreading out, dropping fine grained clay silt down when it receeds. Topo doesn't vary more than 5' from one extreme to the other except right next to the river, which is sandy loam. The waterways are man made, to impound water, so cattle have water no matter where they are on the property. A necessity in Texas when drought comes around. The pic was taken the day after a heavy rain--over 6" in 24 hrs.
Picture was taken at 2nd fork in the pond, just a little below center in this older picture.
kh61.jpg

Normally:
xfy.JPG

Here's what it looks like when heavy rains come and the river gets out.
ir7b.jpg

What's the cost of that fencer? I have a Zareba 6.75J, don't know the voltage on it, but in dryland like around here it doesn't work as well as I'd like.. we've got 3 big ground rods in 6 feet deep and tied to the aluminum irrigation pipe that goes around most of the property too. I think it's around 8000V, and perhaps a 14000 volt one would be a little more effective in dryland.

So... I guess he was madder than a wet hen?

Nesikep":3dprx3n1 said:
What's the cost of that fencer? I have a Zareba 6.75J, don't know the voltage on it, but in dryland like around here it doesn't work as well as I'd like.. we've got 3 big ground rods in 6 feet deep and tied to the aluminum irrigation pipe that goes around most of the property too. I think it's around 8000V, and perhaps a 14000 volt one would be a little more effective in dryland.

So... I guess he was madder than a wet hen?

During the drought none of mine worked really well, the way I solved that was went
around the place with ground rods tieing them in to the bottom strand of barb wire.
Wired the bottom strand to the ground on the charger.
Edit I also bought ground clamps that clamped to T post and wire to the bottom strand
it had a ground about every 50 to 75 yards on a mile of fence.

Nesikep":bsfsjven said:
Here's where I bought it.
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/z ... ce-charger
I've seen them on sale elsewhere a little cheaper and I do know Z makes a 200 mile charger that is about $50 more.
Looking at the specs, it says:
The Zareba® 200 Mile AC Low Impedance Fence Charger is the most powerful animal-control fence charger made in the USA! This 200 mile electric fence charger works in heavy, wet weed conditions to control all types of animals, keeping your farm and ranch animals in while keeping predators out. 200 mile range; 115 volt, 60 cycle; pulsed DC output (1-second intervals), 20 stored joules of power; 15 joule output at 75 ohms. Output voltage no load is 15,400 volts.

Compared to the one I have:
Features include: 115 volt, 60 cycle; pulsed output (1-second intervals), 10.9 stored joules of power; 6 joule output at 75 ohms. Output voltage no load is 12,400 volts.

I probably should have spent the extra $50.....

That's always what you say until you accidentally hit it.. you see, around here we have irrigation pipes, and when you're in wet boots and holding one of them 40 ft suckers and the touch that hot wire, well.. I think it translates here to "be nice be nice be nice be nice be nice". It's much more colorful in person!

For barbed wire fencing, I'd like it to have a 30 second interval... let them stick their head through, get the barbs good on the skin, and then give them a whopper.

Works good for home security too.. just wire it to your door knob, and have a wet "Welcome" mat outside... make sure your game camera is there too :p

The Zareba I had failed after a couple years... the solder joint on the main capacitor was bad, and it caused it to arc badly and damaged it... It still works 2 years after I resoldered it though.

Latest posts