West and Midwest Pair Demand?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Rumor here is that as the mud dries up - - - the price of pairs will skyrocket to replace deads from April snow storms. Are you seeing any of this?

Stocker Steve":wnf6nvqd said:
Rumor here is that as the mud dries up - - - the price of pairs will skyrocket to replace deads from April snow storms. Are you seeing any of this?

that'd be nice, I have some to sell.

I haven't noticed it here. Probably 60% are out to grass now. Price seems to be hanging at $1,350 a pair +/- $200 depending on age and quality.

I was told good quality young commercial pairs brought as high as $2100 last Saturday here in MO. I can't imagine much higher but who knows.

Heard yesterday that rough official estimate 20% of calves were lost across Great Plains and Prairies during those storms.

Aaron":fhtuioox said:
Heard yesterday that rough official estimate 20% of calves were lost across Great Plains and Prairies during those storms.

That's a lot of calves.

I had 5 heifers calve in a couple hours right before the storm. Put them all into a shed and tubed the coldest one.

I also had two cows calve early out in the pasture. One broken down old cow dropped hers in the lee of a round bale and did fine. The other dropped twins out on the tundra.

J&D Cattle":2bl01vvc said:
I was told good quality young commercial pairs brought as high as $2100 last Saturday here in MO. I can't imagine much higher but who knows.

Attended a retirement auction Saturday. Nice commerical cows with a couple generations of AI breeding. Three to five year old cows with March calves were U$S 2,400. Hard to figure how that kind will turn a profit.

Stocker Steve":3cv3ybbx said:
J&D Cattle":3cv3ybbx said:

Attended a retirement auction Saturday. Nice commerical cows with a couple generations of AI breeding. Three to five year old cows with March calves were U$S 2,400. Hard to figure how that kind will turn a profit.

Yikes, my stocking budget for my new place isn't going far like that! Did you buy one pot load or two? ;) At those prices looks like you will be cutting hay again this summer or putting on some stockers to take care of that nice grass of yours, or maybe selling out and becoming Fishing Steve!

SmokinM":2pn2appu said:
Yikes, my stocking budget for my new place isn't going far like that! Did you buy one pot load or two? ;) At those prices looks like you will be cutting hay again this summer or putting on some stockers to take care of that nice grass of yours, or maybe selling out and becoming Fishing Steve!

I was second bidder on a 3 legged cow. She was all I could afford.

Stocker Steve":33tkf3kv said:
J&D Cattle":33tkf3kv said:

Steve the market here has been all over. I heard of some young commercial pairs I believe they were red angus and and had 250 lb calves that brought 2,800. Like you I can't figure out how that will work especially if you have to borrow money. Most of the real good young pairs have been in the 2,000-2,500 dollar range that I have heard of. Good bred heifers about to calve 1,750-2,000. But a lot of nice cows and heifer pairs in the 1,350-1,500 range. There is an upcoming PB sale I would like a buy one from but don't feel much if anything will go below 2,500. And that is around my top. If rain don't keep coming especially in the areas that has burned I look for prices to moderate some. I know some are holding onto heifer pairs hoping prices will increase. Time will tell if it was a wise move or not.

We've seen pairs up to $2850 Can. at recent sales here in BC. Poorer quality down to $1400.

It will be interesting what happens now they have taken $25 off fat cattle.

I don't think the price of fat cattle has much bearing on folks who are buying young U$S 2400 pairs. They know some cattle facts and financial secrets that the public does not...

Stocker Steve":327f9hta said:
I don't think the price of fat cattle has much bearing on folks who are buying young U$S 2400 pairs. They know some cattle facts and financial secrets that the public does not...

To some extent I concur witth you but I have seen many "public" farmers get to a cow sale and set the market for themselves. Only to lose money in the long run.

Feeders are losing $300 per head on the open market at present and many didn't protect themselves on calves last fall as they were certain the market would come to them. Those feeders will make some or all of that back on their next purchases. Feed supplies are tight at present on Canada's prairies and another dry summer will worsen that scenario.

I would sell $2800 pairs but sure wouldn't buy any.

gcreekrch":2redhsf3 said:
Feed supplies are tight at present on Canada's prairies and another dry summer will worsen that scenario.

Alot of hay here last summer, but with some being shipped to droughty Dakotas and a long winter, the stock pile is way down.
Dry so far this spring.
Not a time to load up with overpriced cows.

Latest posts