We're thinking about him??

Help Support CattleToday:

Judges are paying alot more attention to structural soundness these days.

Why?

I understand that a steer has to have some degree of structural soundness to get it through the 120 days (or whatever) on feed. However, the judge is judging the finished product. Obviously if it is led in front of him and can get around the ring, then there are no problems and structure should be the furthest thing from his mind. I agree about checking his feet and legs before buying him, so that you know he will not break down halfway between now and the show. But it really annoys me when a judge puts a steer up because it has better structure, when they are killed the next day.

Thanks for all the opinions. I love hearing what everyone has to say.
We had 5 steers to pick from that were the right age for our fairs. My 10 year old Grandson made the final decision. It was hard to let him do it, but they are his project not ours. He is fourth generation 4-H,FFA and we believe the kids need to be involved from beginning to end with guidance. Good or bad I think it needs to be a learning experience. I think he is off to a good start. But then in my eyes, He does NO WRONG :lol: :lol:
I will show him what you all thought of his choices and explain what you mean. He is soaking up alot of info right now.We have been calling him SpongeBob :lol: :lol:
Thanks again for your input.

I still really like the original steer. He should do very well in the ring if fed and fit correctly. The stocking legged steer is not near as good. He looks to have plenty of volume to gain well, but doesn't have the style. He is pretty trashy in his front and not much neck extension. He will need to wear a Neoprene sweat collar most of the time.

Not too partial to the stocking legged calf, but I still like the little mot faced calf.

I am loosing my mind I guess, I was thinking the stocking steer was the first picture in the original post. Now I look back and see the original one is not the stocking steer.

When I referred to it being more leathery up front and needing more extension I was talking about the Stocking steer.

The non stocking is the best of the two.

Did you raise the Stocking steer?

:lol: :lol: :lol: I know what ya mean. My mind gets fuzzy alot!!

The first 3 pics are of the mottled calf we originally wanted. We made the decision to go get him and the Grandson liked the bald faced calf too. So we ended up bringing them both home. The mottled face is the better of the two, but the white face is a puppy dog. That is one of the reasons we bought him too. He is really gentle and will do anything for the boy!! The mottled face is kinda bratty so my daughter is working more with him until he calms down.
We raise longhorns, so he has a couple of heifers that he will be showing also.

Latest posts