Well, we will be posting him tomorrow!

Help Support CattleToday:

CowgirlUpNY

Reaction score
I'm sorry to say that my poor BS died today. I called a vet friend of mine to see if she could post him for me. I'm not kidding when I say that we do not have a cattle vet in our area. We're not going to do tissue samples (I don't think) I just want to see if maybe all that rough housing the other day perhaps ruptured a spleen or misplaced something.

I'm truly heart-broken over his loss. He was truly a 'p' word for us. The rest of them are just steaks on legs, but he was different. I know that the 'old timers' don't like to hear that, but for us it's the truth. He will be greatly missed.

Ohhhh, that's to bad. I know how it goes...

Alice

Last summer we had a calf fall about off the edge of the bank into the creek and paralyzed his back two legs. Nothing we could do for it.

I said to my son, "well that's just part of having cattle."

His response was classic, "yeah, but it's the suckie part"

Anyway, sorry about your loss.

Cuz

Well we know he did not die from loss of self esteem - I am curious as the cause of death - keep us in the loop please.

Bez>

But I'm not that attached that I can't sell him for the 'good of his possible health, or someones freezer'

Now I wonder who said that! :lol:

Never assign human emotion or the capability to reason to cattle.
It clouds your judgement, leads to poor decisions and can get you hurt.

Very interested in hearing the results of your post. Texan once told me it was just plain good management to try and find out what they died from in as many cases as possible. Good for you.

Everything that is going to be here for any length of time gets a magnet, something like $2 a piece.

Sorry for you lost him, and those potential steaks.

AngusLimoX":1ssfaakd said:
But I'm not that attached that I can't sell him for the 'good of his possible health, or someones freezer'

Now I wonder who said that! :lol:

Selling him is one thing, losing him because of injury/illness (something we could have maybe controlled) is a complete other issue.

With our weather here the way it is today (calling for a major snow-infarction if the wind blows just right) I don't know if we will get him posted today or not.

All the cards seem to be stacked against us right now. Husband has the MF torn down to get some things done before hay season begins. Just sold our International, so we would be borrowing a tractor from a buddy (not a big issue, just a small inconvenience) He decided to die up in the hedgerow (of course) My vet friend is sicker than sick and I have a hard time asking her to come out in this rain/snow/sleet cold to post my steer (although I KNOW she would without hesitation).

We Know he wasn't sick. We Know he didn't die of a broken heart or diminished ego. We know that he's been having bouts with the bull recently. (Just found out today that a buddy stopped by while we weren't here the other day, and he said that they were going at it pretty good that day too). So this is what we know.

So all that being said, and the conditions of the day, as much as I would like to know what happened, I don't think we will be posting him today, and I'm sure that tomorrow would be too late. :roll:

CowgirlUpNY":2szz6w3b said:
With our weather here the way it is today (calling for a major snow-infarction if the wind blows just right) I don't know if we will get him posted today or not.

Just found out today that a buddy stopped by while we weren't here the other day, and he said that they were going at it pretty good that day too.

Calling for snow for next 2 days here as well. Unseasonable even for us. Poor cattle, not cold enough to freeze the muck.

Under those circumstances, and with what your buddy saw, if you don't post I would write it up to something busted up inside him. Neighbour watched one of his bulls kill another first year I was here.

Here's hoping things lighten up a bit for you, but you don't want it to be easy do you?? :lol:

AngusLimoX":1ut75flu said:
CowgirlUpNY":1ut75flu said:

Just found out today that a buddy stopped by while we weren't here the other day, and he said that they were going at it pretty good that day too.

Here's hoping things lighten up a bit for you, but you don't want it to be easy do you?? :lol:

Easy?? What's that?? :lol: I beg for easy now and then.....doesn't ever seem to come our way though. Oh well. :roll:

Latest posts