Well Idiot kicked me

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy-

Reaction score
I knew it was just a matter of time until he caught up with me. :shock:

The young man finally gave me a good swift kick in the thigh last week. I went through my normal routine with him at feeding time (yeah I said feeding time). When I walked him in the stall he NORMALLY walks to the other side makes a turn and comes back and puts his nose in my belly. Well this time he just walked by and blasted me.

No, I didnt make the 3 second rule as I was sort of holding my leg a little but he got his hind legs beat with a fiberglass golf shaft anyway. Then he got caught and worked hard on the end of a rope. He never did anything to be punished for while on the rope but I was a sure hoping he would.

He has had a bad habit of turning his butt to me when he doesn't want to be caught but won't do it in a round pen or on a rope. Good as gold in those two cases. Smart boy I guess. I have put my hand, rope, and buggy whip across his arse several times for it too. Oh, well it could have been worse. I saw it coming and was able to get some weight off of my leg so I didn't get the full impact that it could have been.

Always keep one eye on your horse. This guy had never attempted to kick prior to this. I was only lucky that I kept one eye on him.

My mare,Jessi, always turned her tail to me when I'd walk in to tje pen to feed her..I'd scratch her rump and go on..She kicked the bucket out of my hand one evening!! I hit her with the bucket,scooped up the feed.. Got me some bailing wire,doubled it ,held it downby my leg--she turned her butt to me and I got her 3 times before she could jump...raised whelts..would have cut skin if I could have....anyhow ,she kept that butt in the corner from then on....

thats were a pitch fork comes in handy. when they turn their butt to me like that a couple of jabs in the ass . they will do a about face. might sound a little cruel to some but better than broke bones or worse. my old rope horse kicked me the other day he thought it was another horse and pulled his punch when he figured out it was me or it could have been worse

ALACOWMAN":1qr6wm5r said:
thats were a pitch fork comes in handy. when they turn their butt to me like that a couple of jabs in the ass . they will do a about face. might sound a little cruel to some but better than broke bones or worse. my old rope horse kicked me the other day he thought it was another horse and pulled his punch when he figured out it was me or it could have been worse

Those pitch forks come in handy for a mulitude of things, don't they? :lol: :lol: I've taught horses to not try to get in their hay (or my face) until it's in the feeder, taught the bulls to not rub/bunt on the bales while I'm putting them in the bunks, taught cows to leave me alone while I'm trying to get the sack off their calfs head, plus all of the usual uses for them! The common pitch fork - don't be caught without it! ;-) :lol: :lol: :lol:

ALACOWMAN":1r4kyshr said:

I have used a pitch fork on cows that turn around in an isle, or on the bull to keep him going forward. Up to this point I haven't been smart enough to take a fork to the horse barn. If one turns around on me in the stall I usally grab a plastic pick (sp) poke them with it and then go out and buy a new one cause I just broke one one my horses butt. :(

Alan

MillIronQH":288k7irn said:
I have always said that a dressage whip is one of the best tools a horseperson can own.Z

I couldn't agree more, I'm have some respect issues with my 4 yr old gelding. When I'm leading him out for the morning he will run threw me to get in the turnout. I have been carrying the whip and lay one across his chest when he starts to go past me. Now if I have it in my hand he very well mannered.

Flaboy, It sounds like it could have been worse, glad your well enough to talk about it. Is his name still Idiot or did it change to F#&^%ing Idiot? :D

Any horse, any day.

Alan

i try to stand out side the door let the horse go trough the stall door by himself and turn back too me. and let me remove the halter. and right the opposite when i remove him from the stall i hold the halter out and make him stick his head in it. just a routine

Yeah Alan, he got called several types of Idiot that day :lol:

Alacowman, I used to do what you do but I guess I figured if I could master him in the stall at feeding time, then he would truly be mastered. Just my thoughts.

He has steered clear of me in the stall since that day though. :cboy:

I still to this day remember my Dad going into the stall with his stallion and a four foot 2x4 and wondering who would be coming out. That stud ended up one of the best horses we ever had. Catch him anytime in the middle of the field with saddle and bridle in hand, ride him around mares in heat with only a gentle reminder every now and then that he needed to pay attention (gentle wack on his neck). He would ground tie and flat foot jump in to the back of an old cattle bodied truck. Poor thing was hit by lightening when he was but 12 years old.

We had a young filly (about 5 years ago) almost a yearling that had a bad attitude at feeding time. One time my daughter did not dump the feed fast enough & the filly got mad and turned and kicked her in the face. After the emergency room call & fractured facial bones & lot's of stitches under her eye with her eye swollen shut for many days - that changed the way we feed animals at our house. No horse is worth a child's life. We love animals but learned a hard lesson of knowing that they need to respect us & give us our space. And, no, I did not keep her.... really could not stand the sight of her after that incident. So I pretty much gave her away at a loss.

Kelly":2m687dic said:
We had a young filly (about 5 years ago) almost a yearling that had a bad attitude at feeding time. One time my daughter did not dump the feed fast enough & the filly got mad and turned and kicked her in the face. After the emergency room call & fractured facial bones & lot's of stitches under her eye with her eye swollen shut for many days - that changed the way we feed animals at our house. No horse is worth a child's life. We love animals but learned a hard lesson of knowing that they need to respect us & give us our space. And, no, I did not keep her.... really could not stand the sight of her after that incident. So I pretty much gave her away at a loss.

Sorry to hear about your daughter. As you stated horses need to respect you and everyone around them. To gain their respect you have to start from the first time you touch them and every time since. Horses are not dogs.

Alan

Alan":dpruh100 said:
Kelly":dpruh100 said:

Sorry to hear about your daughter. As you stated horses need to respect you and everyone around them. To gain their respect you have to start from the first time you touch them and every time since. Horses are not dogs.

Alan

How is your daughter now?? OK I hope..That horse wouldn't have made it off my place in one piece...I admire your restrant..

Do not plan revenge just change your attitude, when you are in there presents, let them know whos in charge or you will end up getting hurt, lets face it they are bigger than you are and can hurt you.
once had a shetland pony, mom showed to much love and ended up getting kicked in the face, it was quite serous, a stupid mistake after growing up around horses all her life, as grandpa was a horse traider all his life and most of hers.

Latest posts