Idiot update

Help Support CattleToday:

flaboy?

Reaction score
Some of you probably remember my posts back when I first bought my Idiot. He was a stud yearling and liked to charge folks who entered his pen.

Well he turned two recently. I have him to where he stands for the saddle and blanket. I can just throw it up in the air and on him and he stands. He takes the bit better than the 4 year old. I have been astride him and I have lounged him on a line with my gal on him at both a walk and trot. He is now flexing from the ground and from the saddle really well. He is balking at going forward but that is to be expected. He is not responding to leg pressure but can be lead off easily. Worked on this the last time out for quite awhile but ended up having to slap his butt a little to get him to move. Didn't try to pressure him too much because of stitches in my chest right now. Didn't want to risk ripping them out.

I have also been working on one rein stuff also.

I am quite pleased with his progress so far. As he is still young I am only working with him 2-3 times a week.

I am open for suggestions on things I should work on before taking him out of the round pen for the first time.

Why the stiches? I'd work on stop and go and turn..those are important.

peg4x4":2bk9fxh3 said:
Why the stiches? I'd work on stop and go and turn..those are important.
diffenitly work on the stop flaboy. :p know'in how antsy you get to go outside with em. i would have him handling good first

OK, thanks folks. Yeah, I definitatly want some steering and brakes on him. I am trying to take it slow and easy. If I want to get in a rush I go get on Bronco Skip. He dumped my gal the other day while I was exercising a gaited horse for a lady down the road. I guess Bronco Skip isn't through bucking yet.......

Peg, I had a breast reduction. :lol: It's called Melenoma. :(

Gee,I had one of those too... called a double mastectomy.. :shock:
I said one of the 1st things I'd do,if I won the lottery,was to have breast reduction surgery--- Didn't get the lottery part- :mad: --
How you doing with that?? Did they get ALL of it?? Best to you on recovery--And don't pull those stitches!!!

I'm doing ok Peg. Sorry to hear about your problem also. I won't really know for a couple more weeks if they got it all or not.

They stitched from the inside out, so I get the tearing feeling every now and then. I jumped on that TB the other day and he didn't want to cross a ditch so he and I had a talk. When he did jump I felt some tearing :-( This was two days after the surgery. I knew better but someone had to get him across the ditch :)

Hey, it was my first time on a gaited horse and boy I have to admit, compared to my QH's it's a nice ride. :oops:

We get older,gaited's better..I want an Icelandic 5 speed,myself..

OK, I got on him this weekend in the round pen. He took the bit and saddle very well as usual. I took him in the round pen and flexed him some and then lounged him a little. I decided he had been doing so well I would forego the standing in the stirrup and just get on. Well all was well until I scraped his butt with my boot. He jumped and when he jumped he felt me flop around up there and then he bolted. Since I was not in the saddle yet, I lost it on the right as he was jumping left so I just got off on the fence. He stopped, I stepped up in the stirrup and stood and then got on.

He must have remembered what I had worked on as just a squeeze with my calves and off he went (bolted). I pulled his nose around and got him stopped. He did jump a couple more times but nothing to get excited about. I worked him for a little over an hour on starting stopping, figure 8's with direct rein. One rein stopping. He is reponding well to my heels. No more do I have to slap him on the butt.

Lesson's learned;
1. Go slow
2. Stretch before getting on a colt.
3. Don't touch his butt after you taught him to go by slapping his butt. :lol:
4. Direct reining will confuse them when you try to flex them the next time.

Idiot can't seem to hold on to a lesson very long~memory problem?or being a youngster..

peg4x4":1rqh2gdb said:
Idiot can't seem to hold on to a lesson very long~memory problem?or being a youngster..

Ah, he is just a youngster. He has only had someone on his back 4 times. Of those I was holding him 3 times. The fourth I was on my own.

Oh, you were referring to me? :lol: I love being called a youngster.

What was it on that shirt?"You gotta get thro young and foolish to get to old and wise." :lol: I do envy all the fun you're haveing with that colt.. :mrgreen:

Latest posts