Well I shot one

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Saw a spike standing in the pasture had my 32-40 with me.
He is now soaking in ice water. He will be sausage in a few days.
That 170 grain bullet traveling at 1800 fps rolls them every time.

Caustic Burno":3qwuem87 said:
Saw a spike standing in the pasture had my 32-40 with me.
He is now soaking in ice water. He will be sausage in a few days.
That 170 grain bullet traveling at 1800 fps rolls them every time.

Nice. 32 caliber. 40 grains of black powder. That is an old cartridge. But still good.

Sounds like you soak em' in ice water like I do. I keep the quarters in ice water for 3 days and then cut up. Probably more ice than water. Drain off and replace the bloody water each day.

HOSS":57y6qv3o said:
Sounds like you soak em' in ice water like I do. I keep the quarters in ice water for 3 days and then cut up. Probably more ice than water. Drain off and replace the bloody water each day.

Yep they soak until the meat is white.
Have a bunch of apple wood I am going to smoke the sausage in.

inyati13
I love that that round never shot a deer with it that didn't drop in its tracks.
Have to make my brass by reforming 30-30, the 30-30 is just a necked down 32-40
30 cal and 30 grains of the new powder is where the name came from.
That spike was about 85 yards.

I do my deer the same way, once I skin them. I like to hang mine, hide on for a few days first if the weather permits. CB, is your Grandson still coming to hunt this weekend?
I hope so and good luck to both of you.

highgrit":3k0l7kfi said:
I do my deer the same way, once I skin them. I like to hang mine, hide on for a few days first if the weather permits. CB, is your Grandson still coming to hunt this weekend?
I hope so and good luck to both of you.

Yea he was here last weekend with his dad and uncle .
Had a huge 8 pt walk across the pasture that I let go cause it was going in the bottom woods.
Neither of them saw him, I went and pulled the game camera card and he was at the feeder while they
were on the stand. Told my grandson he has to stay in my hip pocket so he can see a deer.

Caustic Burno":1ysivoja said:
HOSS":1ysivoja said:

Yep they soak until the meat is white.
Have a bunch of apple wood I am going to smoke the sausage in.

inyati13
I love that that round never shot a deer with it that didn't drop in its tracks.
Have to make my brass by reforming 30-30, the 30-30 is just a necked down 32-40
30 cal and 30 grains of the new powder is where the name came from.
That spike was about 85 yards.

Yes. The 30-30 came after the .32-40. By then smokeless powder or as you say, the new powder was available. There were a number of cartridge designations that were used in the black powder days where the second number was the amount of black powder that went into the case (.45-90, etc). I am speculating that they did that because men who handloaded around the campfire with the original hand tools of the day did not have reference material. That way it was easy to remember the charge in grains. Although most probably had no scale but used powder scoops like you see with the Lee hand tools.

My 32-40 is a cross over they did make them for smokeless powder as well.
They quit making the guns cause nuts were sticking smokeless cartridges in Gandpas black and going boom.
32-40 in smokeless shoots 22 grains H 4895 under a 170 grain bullet this pushes the projectile
at 1874 fps. Starting load is 16 grains with MV of 1409.
It is a great 100 to 125 yard gun with super mild recoil.
I have never figured this out my 44 mag loaded with 210 grain HP humming at 2200 fps won't drop one
near as well.

HOSS":1i9wkzzw said:

same here :nod:

Named'em Tamed'em":4616sbt7 said:
I have never heard of soaking a deer and ice or ice water. Why do you do that.
It bleeds out the meat. We debone right after we skin it while it's still hanging. Put in ice chest and cover with ice. Drain and add ice every day for about 7 days for us.

Any of your hang the deer for aged meat? I've read a few article recently about hanging a deer similar to hanging beef. Need a good sized cooler or cool weather to do it though.

Most folks here in South LA bleed deer meat in ice chests as well.

CB - what rifle you have in 32-40?

MudHog":e1kpgocp said:
Any of your hang the deer for aged meat? I've read a few article recently about hanging a deer similar to hanging beef. Need a good sized cooler or cool weather to do it though.

Most folks here in South LA bleed deer meat in ice chests as well.

CB - what rifle you have in 32-40?

Winchester Model 94
Max load is 22 grains H4895 versus 30 grains for the 30-30
The 30-30 is a necked down 32-40 cartridge.
Making brass is super simple by resizing 30-30 brass.
Have to be careful as your brass says 30-30 the grand kids know to look .
I keep the ammo separated and in properly label boxes, I have taught them to double check anyway.
Easy to tell the difference as the 32-40 is a straight wall cartridge.
Been looking for a Marlin 93 in the cartridge.
Super accurate round Ballard set many records with that round.
The older Marlins have Ballard rifling after they bought Ballard out.

I am kinda an odd duck and like the older guns and cartridges.

Strictly out of curiosity caustic, I've seen you post before, that yaw had a size limit on racks. Is there a period of time that does not apply, or does it not apply to spikes?

Bigfoot":3svoa943 said:
Strictly out of curiosity caustic, I've seen you post before, that yaw had a size limit on racks. Is there a period of time that does not apply, or does it not apply to spikes?

Spikes are legal seen 16 bucks since season began and only two legal.
The spike in the cooler and an 8 point I let walk hoping my grandson would get a shot.
Just sit in the woods to pass time, I haven't heard a half dozen shots since season began the
first of November.
Lot of mad people over this way over the regulations.
The lease crowd are going to go elsewhere if this doesn't change.
The TPWD put the regs in effect about five years ago and out deer are getting worse not better.
Watched a doe the other day feed under my stand seen the sorriest buck breed her while there.
I don't know how they expect better deer when we are using the culls as seedstock.

We do the hide, on but never tried 2 weeks. At least you won't have as much trimming or waste this time. Should be tender and easy to skin.

Caustic Burno":3bfqv6ut said:
Bigfoot":3bfqv6ut said:

Spikes are legal seen 16 bucks since season began and only two legal.
The spike in the cooler and an 8 point I let walk hoping my grandson would get a shot.
Just sit in the woods to pass time, I haven't heard a half dozen shots since season began the
first of November.
Lot of mad people over this way over the regulations.
The lease crowd are going to go elsewhere if this doesn't change.
The TPWD put the regs in effect about five years ago and out deer are getting worse not better.
Watched a doe the other day feed under my stand seen the sorriest buck breed her while there.
I don't know how they expect better deer when we are using the culls as seedstock.

In my opinion the same thing has happened here. When they first started the antler restrictions I was all for it. It made since that if we let small younger bucks go we would have more larger older bucks. But our buck quality was much better before the restrictions were put in place. I think the quality bucks started getting killed before they got a chance to breed and the lesser quality bucks, not necessarily the young bucks, get to breed the does. We also have way fewer deer because of heavy doe harvest.

Hook":2usq51o1 said:
I've got one hanging in the walk in that we will cut up today. It's been hanging for 2 weeks, skin on
Did one last week that hung for a week skin off. It makes quite a difference aging them

We have a walk in cooler that was made just for hanging deer. I don't use it much myself but the ones who do hang them hide off for three weeks. They will be covered with a black mold but when you trim that off the meat is pretty and it is tender. I don't use the cooler myself because a lot of people have access to it and even though we tag and date our deer I've had people cut the backstraps out of my deer before. So I just do the ice chest thing.

Latest posts