Well, how 'bout it--have we seen the last freeze in E Texas?

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
Upper 70s yesterday, and I know the long range forecast calls for some upper 40s later in the week, but it sure looks like winter has called it quits this far south. I've mowed the lawn twice this month in between the downpours. We did have t-storms in Feb, which traditionally means frost in April, but that hasn't always held true. prognostications?

TexasBred":98x4ncpz said:
I haven't seen any pecan or mesquite trees budding out yet around here so still wondering.

I was up close and personal with several mesquite trees Sunday. Looking hard for tiny buds. Didn't see a one.

I don;t know if you have but we sure haven;t. Calling for low 20s friday morning and a chance of snow. Oh Goody!

M-5":1xfryjcr said:
every tree I got pecan included is leafed out. CB is 30.54 L im 30.77 L
30.3450° here which is about 70 miles Southwest of CB and a little further south Lat. of you. No pecan or hickory buds here--but gum, White Oak, and Silver Maple budding good--Red Oaks and Sycamore just barely starting--the old muscadine vines still all bare. The hated Tallow on my brothers place beside me still all bare limbs. No mesquite on my place.

dun":3hfde9zd said:
I don;t know if you have but we sure haven;t. Calling for low 20s friday morning and a chance of snow. Oh Goody!

And my peach and nectarine tree buds are starting to swell!!!! Say it ain't so! :cry2:

Fire Sweep Ranch":1bdoxq3c said:
dun":1bdoxq3c said:

And my peach and nectarine tree buds are starting to swell!!!! Say it ain't so! :cry2:
The noon today forcast raised it to 30

I think we're going to get below freezing Thursday, friday, and Saturday. That'll set things back for me.

Redbuds just started to bloom here. What;s weird is the Serviceberry which usually preceeds the redbuds by a couple of weeks haven't started blooming at all.

fenceman":2uwo7biu said:
Old timers all look at the mesquites, no buds yet. The hairs really coming off the horses though.
When I lived out in Tom Green county, it was the older mesquite and the old pecan trees that grew along the N. Concho River that were most often the bellweather trees--you couldn't "trust" the immature pecan trees that the City of San Angelo had planted to get it right tho.

In 07, every sign failed here. Even oak and hickory trees had leaved out. It looked like fall of the year, after the Easter freeze.

I am in Caldwell Co Tx I do remember a freeze in April don't remember the date, All trees had put on leaves, it killed the leaves on the bottom half of the trees and left the top half green, sure looked weird till the bottom half re greened them selfs. :cboy:

I believe it was in 07 ( thanks bigfoot) it snowed 5 inches in lampasas county on easter. Most snow ive ever seen. It decimated thousands of sheep flocks across the texas hill country , that had just been shorn.

Mesquite trees have buds. Pecan trees have buds. Berry plants are putting out blooms.

We may be safe.

We had three inches of snow in the valley and five on the mountains Saturday and highes this week in the 70s. Spring time in TN: if you do not like the weather hang around an hour. It will change.

backhoeboogie":2byr29sg said:
Mesquite trees have buds. Pecan trees have buds. Berry plants are putting out blooms.

We may be safe.

Just last year, we had a hard freeze ( down to 25) the night of April 21st, which was Easter Monday. All the fruit trees and berries were frozen. I sure hope were done with freezing weather. I need to make jelly this summer; we're getting low. :D

Latest posts