Well.....here's the Show Results

Help Support CattleToday:

Are you going to show again next year?

sidney - not sure. This year I had to make a choice between a horse event and the county fair; both on the same week. I knew back in December/January that the dates were the same and I couldn't do both. Obviously I chose to show at the fair this year, was thinking about the horses next year. And then I train/show dawgs when I have a spare minute in between everything else. :lol:

Besides, we done alright this year...who knows what next year would bring? You can't do better than Grand Champion in Quality - if I step down now I've had my moment of glory and move on. Next year we might not even place...seems better to end it all on a high note, doesn't it? ;-) Just that foolish pride! :p

A lot of the parents know I walked a mile a day - two miles the last week or so - and they had this competitive look in their eyes after all was said and done. I'm sure there'll be a lot of steers exercised on a regular basis next summer.

Regardless of what I decide to do...there is one gal I want to help out. She's only 13 and really nice, done a steer project for the past four years and does well in quality every time. I only recently learned from her that she doesn't even like doing it! Shocked me. Her folks make her do it; college money, I guess. She tells me she only has to do it two more years and then she's done. Her steer steps on her feet and literally walks all over her every year. He hasn't been worked with much as she doesn't really like doing the project in the first place, and she gets hurt every year. My critters are broke well - I know how I like to train 'em and I don't tolerate them walking in my space. I'd really like to help her start her steer after she picks him out this fall, just get him to the point that he doesn't need two grown men to lead him to the ring at show time. Broke enough that, while she may not enjoy the project in the first place, she can at least get through the year with a gentle animal that's not going to trample her. A 1300lb animal that doesn't respect you is downright dangerous. So even if I don't do a steer project myself, I DO want to help her out.

You should feel lucky. Here usually a black steer most always wins.

L Weir - that's what I liked about this judge. I watched him judge last year and he didn't care what color or breed the steers were; he just wanted them finished. That's why when I picked out my steer in January I wasn't particular about color. Red or black, didn't matter to me. A lot of the steers last year weren't finished and he handed out a LOT of red ribbons. No whites because "if they get a white in quality they can't sell the steer (at the market sale)". He was tough. I worked hard to make sure Co...my steer was finished.

In fact, we went right from the fitting and showing class to quality. No break whatsoever. The judge lined 'em all up, walked around all the steers three times, and awarded the ribbons. I think he was a little ticked at the fitting & showing judge taking so l-o-n-g that he had them all judged and done inside of ten minutes. I believe he was watching the steers during the other classes while waiting, and kinda knew which ones he liked or didn't like by the time we went in the ring for quality.

I didn't see him touch any of the steers - really surprised me - no questions about feed either, but I suppose he didn't really need to know what feed they were on. They either were finished or weren't finished. One of the parents -friend of mine- came over later and said the judge DID touch my steer as we walked in. You fit 18 steers and 4Hers in one ring with dozens of parents at ringside, and picking the judge out of that mess takes some doing. Apparently he walked right up behind us when we walked in and ran his hands over Conan. Where I didn't even know someone had touched my animal I guess it tells you how well broke he..... Never mind. He said he'd 'had his eye on that red steer even before he walked in the ring'.

I think the steers could have been green with purple polka-dots and orange striped, and it wouldn't have made a bit of difference to the judge. :lol:

Well, congratulations first of all for your win and your hard work. And about the few tears, don't worry everyone in our 4-H club cries the first year or two, in my first year i had a big red steer, so tame, he was like a puppy dog, and i cried for about 30 minutes prior to the sale, through the sale, and probably would of cried allnight and been sad for a while, until I heard the auctioneer say "Sold... To Hill 70 Quantock Ranch... $1.24...Thank You" My Dad bought him, but he was only at our place another month, and then he wnt to town and ended up in our neighbors freezer and ours.

Congrats!

I wish they would have had 4H in my area when I was a kid (growing up in the boonies, does have some disadvantages). My favorite bottle calf, Goldy was a jersey/black angus cross and we'd walk to the mailbox about every day that summer (mailbox was a mile away) so I definitely understand your attachment.

Hi Milkmaid. Great job on all your animals! Its okay to cry. My son cryed when his last 4H steer sold. He felt like he was betraying his calf in the worst way! He was very attached to his calf. After that year ( His third year) he could not do the steer thing again and only showed heifers and bred cows. They are not sold afterwards. So if it hurts too much you can always restrict your 4H projects to showing females. Here is a hug for ya. ((((( Milkmaid)))))

Latest posts