Well Crap

Help Support CattleToday:

tazzer

Reaction score
Got home from work wed. and went to check on a yearling heifer that was in a meadow by herself and my 2 year old colt and she was no where to be found.
She has been in with him for about 2-3 weeks. I rode the fence and found no breaks and the colt was still in the meadow.
she had been in with two other older heifers which where placed with a bull about 3 weeks ago.

anyways found her tracks in in the back yard heading to a lease I have across the road from my house. Found tracks all down in the woods but never did see hide nor hair of her. makes me sick. the lease is fenced on one side and the back but is open on two sides along black top roads.
Iv put cubes out down the dirt road on the lease with a game camera and have rode the black top road along with letting folks know im missing a calf. Not sure what more I can do and im thinking I may just have lost this one for good. :bang: :bang: :bang:

It's not unusual for a cow/heifer in isolation from other cattle to break out to seek companionship. You will most likely find her with the closest cattle in the direction she exited.

LCCattle":2m6vyyhp said:
It's not unusual for a cow/heifer in isolation from other cattle to break out to seek companionship. You will most likely find her with the closest cattle in the direction she exited.

yes. I never leave one even in a paddock by itself because it's always testing the fence.

Doesn't sound like the case here but, sometimes animals will try and go "home". My neighbor bought a bull once that went over 10 miles to get back to where he came from.

Story has it my grandfather sold the same mule a couple times due to that as well.

angus9259":2iv5cl4w said:
LCCattle":2iv5cl4w said:

yes. I never leave one even in a paddock by itself because it's always testing the fence.

was hoping when I moved the other two that she would be fine since we had a show heifer in the pen right next to her and she stayed for 3 weeks without showing any issues with her being left. guess she was just buying her time :shock:

Some neighbors of mine gave one of their 23 year old cows to another neighbor, they were getting completely out of cattle and couldn't send her to the sale barn.. 2 places are about 8 miles away over some darned rough terrain.. Yeah.. she showed up back at home a few days later!

kenny thomas":1rmfu1nm said:
Sounds like to me a case of out looking for a bull. Is it time for her to be in heat?
shes only about 12-13 months old so I would fig. not coming in.
Iv had her since Jan of this year so dont fig. shes looking to go back home.

CJC":3g41383o said:
Ugh I lost a calf 2 weeks ago I know the stress. Finally he ended up coming back after I spent an entire day trying to track him down. He's named El Chapo now.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Last year, a new cow i bought broke out. next morning i saw her walking back from the woods to the back yard, i opened the slider door to lock the gate behind her but she bolted and ran back in the woods. I chased her for 2 months in the woods around me, after half of the town tried to help i finally shot her on a field 3 miles away, the whole town got beef that day lol

Kenany Farm":3a5a7bjf said:
Last year, a new cow i bought broke out. next morning i saw her walking back from the woods to the back yard, i opened the slider door to lock the gate behind her but she bolted and ran back in the woods. I chased her for 2 months in the woods around me, after half of the town tried to help i finally shot her on a field 3 miles away, the whole town got beef that day lol
Now that's funny, well,, no it's not, but it kinda is.

We had a group of fall cows on a place a couple of miles from our home place. We went and caught all but 2 they disappeared we looked all over and even on the p!aces around us, a week later they come walking down the road to our home place. They walked up to the cattle guard and waited till some one let them in.

Caustic Burno":1ekyblse said:
If she is an English breed they start cycling as early as six months old some even earlier.
shes a brangus cross and still have not seen hide nor hair of her, just tracks. :mad:

There is a black baldy heifer that has been on one of my deer leases by herself since March 2015. I've taken pics of her, sent word to the neighbors, etc. last time I was there she was still grazing like she owned the place.

She might wind up being my first cow.

SJB":6f8zy8jk said:
There is a black baldy heifer that has been on one of my deer leases by herself since March 2015. I've taken pics of her, sent word to the neighbors, etc. last time I was there she was still grazing like she owned the place.

She might wind up being my first cow.
If she has been there that long and is still there id go get her :banana:

Latest posts