Weight limit/restrictions for private interstate hauling

Help Support CattleToday:

cfpinz

Reaction score
Anyone here familiar with weight restrictions and requirements for hauling by a private individual across multiple states using a ton truck?

I've got a 3500 Dodge tagged with a gvwr of 26k, and a dual tandem gooseneck tagged at 20k (or maybe 26k, I'll have to look). I don't need a CDL to operate instate with the road tractor, and it's not tagged for out of state driving. I'm looking at a 15k tractor that's a few states away, and my truck/trailer weigh about 16.5k so I'm looking at 31/32k total.

Anyone know if this is legal, or should I just have it shipped?

Thanks.

Idk, what the laws are, but I know what I'd do if I had equipment in excellent condition (roadworthy) that I trusted to get the job done safely. Might have to take the long way around.

Edit: That is in addition to being within the weight limits. Just not "permitted".

The only way I know to have a chance of interpreting the laws correctly, is to have a lawyer riding shotgun.

I read the post again. Sounds like you'll be over by 5 or 6k. I wouldn't run heavy for that far. Too much can happen. If a little heavy, and able to stay on back roads, I'd do it with good equipment, and not worry too much about the permit/ license. Not through several states though. Shipping fee is cheap compared to what you'll pay after running over a school bus full of kids, not being able to stop, or they hit you, or a myriad of circumstances that are possible.

If you was driving for someone else you would need a CDL you shouldn't have to if it's your truck and trailer I see a lot of truck's with not for hire on the door not sure if you have to have that or it just keeps DOT for stoping you as far a weight go's every state is different

Any vehicle with a GVWR over 26,001 is required to have a CDL to operate it in every state. If you get caught with a 3500 dodge dually with 31,000 lb your going to get a heavy fine. Your axle limits are critical. A One ton dually with a Gooseneck tandem axle trailer can haul more than you can legally haul. Regardless of how much you license it for. In your owners manual there is two things to look at your GVW= Gross vehicle weight. That is what the pickup can haul and then you Have a CGVWR = Combined gross vehicle weight rating this is what the combination of What the truck and trailer can legally can haul. I have done extensive research into this. And dealt with several FMCA officials and several lawyers. And we have tailored our fleet and license to what we can legally haul and all of our 3500 class vehicles, cannot legal over 26,001 lbs. You can license them for up to 35,000 lbs in almost every state, this is nothing more than a ignorance tax, as you cannot legal the extra weight. In the west Toy haulers are a big money pit for ticketing, They weigh too much and when they are stopped the DOT can right several tickets depending on you attitude. No CDL, Over weight, Over length and whatever else he decides you are incompliant with. I hate over regulation and that is what we have and I have had my anxious moments dealing with FMCA since the CDL was first introduced in 1989. You can Google FMCA and find your own answers.

W.T":2wkagh60 said:
Any vehicle with a GVWR over 26,001 is required to have a CDL to operate it in every state. If you get caught with a 3500 dodge dually with 31,000 lb your going to get a heavy fine. Your axle limits are critical. A One ton dually with a Gooseneck tandem axle trailer can haul more than you can legally haul. Regardless of how much you license it for. In your owners manual there is two things to look at your GVW= Gross vehicle weight. That is what the pickup can haul and then you Have a CGVWR = Combined gross vehicle weight rating this is what the combination of What the truck and trailer can legally can haul. I have done extensive research into this. And dealt with several FMCA officials and several lawyers. And we have tailored our fleet and license to what we can legally haul and all of our 3500 class vehicles, cannot legal over 26,001 lbs. You can license them for up to 35,000 lbs in almost every state, this is nothing more than a ignorance tax, as you cannot legal the extra weight. In the west Toy haulers are a big money pit for ticketing, They weigh too much and when they are stopped the DOT can right several tickets depending on you attitude. No CDL, Over weight, Over length and whatever else he decides you are incompliant with. I hate over regulation and that is what we have and I have had my anxious moments dealing with FMCA since the CDL was first introduced in 1989. You can Google FMCA and find your own answers.

Never saw a ton truck of any brand with a GVRW even getting close to 26,000. A one tone with 31,000 is an accident waiting to happen as there not a safe way to stop one.

Never saw a ton truck of any brand with a GVRW even getting close to 26,000. A one tone with 31,000 is an accident waiting to happen as there not a safe way to stop one.[/quote]

Some of the RAM 3500's are rated for 30k. I pull 24-28k of weight behind my 3500 and can stop it as long as the trailer brakes are working properly. You can do and haul alot of stuff - weight personally that you can't do commercially.

Most One tons have a GVWR of 12,000 Lbs or less and most tow ratings are under 22,000 lbs. with up to 35,000 on special option equipment. I have been to several FMCA work shops over the years and they are putting a renewed emphasis on keeping the highways safe. Motor homes and Pickups towing trailers are a new point of interest, as many exceed weight limits and do not have adequate braking systems to safely be operated for there weights. A 3500 dually pickup with a 24 ft trailer Can be loaded with far more than it can haul. Most weight tickets start at $500.00 and increase from there I have paid some well into the thousand's of dollars. Most Failure to comply to a CDL tickets start at $500.00 and can exceed $1500.00. here is a chart that can help you with your decision to tow that 15,000 lb tractor.

http://fifthwheelst.com/fifth-wheel-wei ... lator.html

W.T":2bew608l said:

This is true for commerical use, but most states have an ag exemption for farm and forestry equipment and commodities hauled for personal use. TN also has a leisure exemption that RVs and campers fall under. I have been stopped several times in a class 8 truck grossing 34k for farm use and me not having a CDL has never been an issue. Him not having a CDL for hauling a farm tractor would not be a problem, being over the GVW on the truck and Trailer would.

True Grit Farms":1yvkmgmw said:
Never saw a ton truck of any brand with a GVRW even getting close to 26,000. A one tone with 31,000 is an accident waiting to happen as there not a safe way to stop one.

Some of the RAM 3500's are rated for 30k. I pull 24-28k of weight behind my 3500 and can stop it as long as the trailer brakes are working properly. You can do and haul alot of stuff - weight personally that you can't do commercially.[/quote]

The new Ford F-350 is 35,000, not that I would want to try to stop this much weight with a pickup.

hillbilly beef man":7pimj2ce said:
True Grit Farms":7pimj2ce said:

Some of the RAM 3500's are rated for 30k. I pull 24-28k of weight behind my 3500 and can stop it as long as the trailer brakes are working properly. You can do and haul alot of stuff - weight personally that you can't do commercially.

The new Ford F-350 is 35,000, not that I would want to try to stop this much weight with a pickup.[/quote]

The highest rating on a 2016 F 350 is 32,100 for a GCWR, towing is 23,500.

hillbilly beef man":2ich48s3 said:
http://www.ford.com/trucks/superduty/specifications/towing/ Look at the specs for f-350 diesel with a 4:30 rear ended. It is 35000. The 3:73 rear has the 32,100 rating.

Missed that, although it is still a GCWR not towing which is 26,500. A lot of weight for a 1 ton truck. Considering the shape that some of the trailer I see running the road I doubt the brakes are up to par on them.

tom4018":3dvmmil0 said:

I've hauled (18) 1100-1200 pound cows on a 32' gooseneck lots of times with a 3500 dually. Never gave it a second thought. No problem stopping it with trailer brakes working. Guess I was probably over the weight limit though. It's not as unsafe as you think. The vehicle weight/load weight ratio is almost the same as a semi and trailer.

Latest posts