Weight gain on grass

Help Support CattleToday:

jallen

Reaction score
What can you expect per day on good grass that is clean and fertilized, etc. everything is where it should be on the soil sample. Grass is fescue/coastal Bermuda mix. Any opinions?

Our yealring heifers average 3 lbs a day, some as high as 3.7 others as low as 2.9

Thanks dun, I left out of my post that I was talking calves that are still on mama. All are angus crosses. I'm just trying to get an idea of what I can expect weight wise out of my calves in the 6-7 month age range.

It varies during that birth to weaning phase. The first month or so it's 6-7 lbs a daythen it slows down (depending on the individual) to 4-5 lbs a day.

Wow, I didn't realize they gained that fast while on mama. Thanks for the info.

jallen":skyrpyhl said:
Wow, I didn't realize they gained that fast while on mama. Thanks for the info.
I think they slow down closer to weaning because they're eating more grass and getting less milk.

I probably should include "Your mileage may vary" since out cows have been selected through the years to perform on fescue.

There are conditions that can effect your weight gain, such as extreme heat or cold weather etc, but genetics / cow milk production and quality are big factors..

Wish I could get some of that grass! I attended the sale of Performance Tested Bulls at SIU Carbondale last week and the average daily gain on test with a high gain ration was 4.9 pounds, one bull came in over 6 pound per day at 6.55. These bulls came into the test having averaged 2.6 pounds gain per day since birth and most of them would have been on a bull development program likely getting creep fed.

jallen":nbnzij6w said:
Dun, at what age are you weaning calves that heavy?
7 - 7.5 months, last year with the drought they ran closer to 675 but still had on at 800

Latest posts