week old calf panting

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl

Reaction score
I have a 11day old calf,normal birth,got right up nursed,lively. let him and mama out in paddock after 5 dys old,picked grass and hay ran around,but while lying down at rest he has rapid breathing, not labored breathing, just rapid breathing. on the 8th day out, at 70 degrees he ran around then nursed his mama, right away hanging his tongue out foaming at the mouth,panting. Got them in the barn temp was 104. took about 6 hrs for his temp to come down and not hanging tongue out but still panting. took that long to get hold of a vet on Sat.couldn't come out, picked up meds. this is the 11th day he did it again. now waiting on vet to come. I was wondering if anyone has and ideas or has had this happen, Thank you greatly appreciated

Maybe a navel ill infection. The panting is probably from the fever. Let us know what the vet said.

Or he was overheated... heat stress when they're in a paddock with no shade can do that, especially if he's all black. Almost lost a young calf once to heat stress... I took a hose and sprayed him down with cold water; took about 10 minutes but he recovered.

The bronchitis is the main problem w/ this they always don't have a fever- after excursion,especially after nursing, that is when the temp rises and rapidly pants. He is doing very well. They have been in since last episode. hoping all is good when they are turned out.Hopeful Sat. will be last day for meds. Thanks

Latest posts