Weed ID (With Pictures)

Help Support CattleToday:

alabama

Reaction score
Does anyone know what weed this is. those thorns will sure mess up a tire.

farm_april_of_2007_026.jpg

farm_april_of_2007_023.jpg

farm_april_of_2007_025.jpg

farm_april_of_2007_024.jpg

I call it a mock orange. I don't know why other than the golf ball sized fruit which sort of look like an orange. You also don't want to run into one while coon hunting.

It's not what we call mock orange, hedge, bois' d'arc.

I call that a wild lemon.

Some do call it wild lemon, but I've never heard anyone around here call a bois d'arc a mock orange. Most people around here call a bos d' arc a horseapple. Which is a lot easier for me to spell 8)

Looks like trifoliate orange which is used for rootstock of citrus trees.

A guy I know gave me one of those little oranges to see if I could grow some trees from the seeds. The inside of the fruit is nothing but seeds. Well, I grew a couple of dozen in one gallon containers for a year or two, then threw them on the burn pile. Those thorns are ultra vicious. I never knew what they were called until I saw one of them on a nature trail at the Univ. of Ga. last year. It was labled as Hardy Orange.

Fred you and ga. prime are both right. Poncirus Trifoliata or hardy orange. Sorry ga. prime but they are usually easy to grow. they are used as root stock because of their hardiness.

I know that Grazon will kill it though. I have been hunting it and hitting it with a spot spray of grazon. Maybe I can get it befort it makes another crop of seed.

Horticattleman, yeah they were easy to grow I agree. I grew two dozen from one golf ball sized fruit. Nice plants except for those diabolical thorns. Don't want those escaping. Planted two in the landscape as specimens and burned the rest.

denoginnizer":1w3t5857 said:
I got plenty of them. What kinda spray kills em?

I have been spraying them with Grazon and remedy mixed. I have been using a one gallon sprayer and taking a two and a half gallon jug premixed with me.
For one gallon I mix 5 oz of Grazon and 1 oz of remedy. That is about twice the spot spray mix recommended on the label but it will turn a dogfinnel black over night. Now this other weed it takes a while. the one I sprayed last fall is dead but all the little ones I am finding this year have been sprayed a week now and just starting to look a little sick.

Latest posts