Weed eater?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
What weed eaters have you all have good luck with? Old Homelite is about gone, for a cheapies it has lasted over 15 years. I use one around the house and on fence lines that don't get sprayed. Local farm store has Stihl, I like their ez start sytem since I have elbow problems.

I use a Stihl FS90, great trimmer and it accepts blades for different uses

highgrit":2aweyy0p said:
Stihl is all I buy anymore, the cheapies won't hold up.

Unfortunately I spend a lot of time running a weedeater. I agree, the Stihl is the way i would go.

fitz

My favorite for fence lines and around trees and such is Round-up .

Second choice is the high wheel string trimmer from Sears . Easy to use, and you don't have to carry it.

Shindaiwa. Had a T27 straight shaft 21 yr now.

New one would 262 or 272.

They taks a brush blade as well

Get the Sthil. Also get the blade attachment that looks kind of like a star. They make a head (it doesn't come with it) you put line in. It sure makes it easy.

Bigfoot":4mlte5m7 said:
Get the Sthil. Also get the blade attachment that looks kind of like a star. They make a head (it doesn't come with it) you put line in. It sure makes it easy.
The saw blade attachment sucks. Hard to manipulate when trying to cut down small saplings. Their polesaw works great for that though

Am not sure what weed eater brand I had/have (something gas-powered), but I think the boys left it out in the rain and it's probably now near trashed. But glad you're feeling up to outside chores, Tom!!

Kathie in Thorp":2iuyqh50 said:
Am not sure what weed eater brand I had/have (something gas-powered), but I think the boys left it out in the rain and it's probably now near trashed. But glad you're feeling up to outside chores, Tom!!
Thanks Kathie, but I am not able to do much with my arm yet. Got my son to mow my mom's yard today between showers, still need to tackle our yard or pasture it. I attempted to weed eat her yard, had to do it left handed. Looking at the Stihl EZ2 Start because of my arm.

If I don't keep my arm elavated I get a lot of swelling and having a lot of popping in the elbow.

How are things at your house?

Am not sure if hubby doing his exercises as he should have, post-surgery (which he didn't) would have avoided the PT he's doing now 2 X week. Slow process . . . And lots of ice. Are you doing PT, Tom?

Owned a weed eater about six months and used it twice. Third time it wouldn't start. Couldn't find anybody to work on it so I took the carb apart and then couldn't find gaskets. Finally threw it away. Cost me about $150.

Then I bought an Echo at a Stihl dealer. Best trimmer I ever owned. Used it today as a matter of fact. Choked it and pulled once and it started - after sitting since last spring.

lavacarancher":2mklmrtf said:
Owned a weed eater about six months and used it twice. Third time it wouldn't start. Couldn't find anybody to work on it so I took the carb apart and then couldn't find gaskets. Finally threw it away. Cost me about $150.

Then I bought an Echo at a Stihl dealer. Best trimmer I ever owned. Used it today as a matter of fact. Choked it and pulled once and it started - after sitting since last spring.
Echo isn't one alot of people would be familiar with, but a lot of guys in the landscape business around here use them so I figure they have to be pretty dependable.

Kathie in Thorp":hg3lipbs said:
Am not sure if hubby doing his exercises as he should have, post-surgery (which he didn't) would have avoided the PT he's doing now 2 X week. Slow process . . . And lots of ice. Are you doing PT, Tom?

Kathie, just seen your reply. I do to PT 3x a week and do exercises 3x a day at home. Gaining some movement in the elbow. Swelling seems to be a big issue.

I have a stihl

last year had starting problems....finally spent half the price of a new one getting it going again. They blamed ethanol gas....
so I used a recommended gas treatment in all gas I bought. still do
this winter I drained it. Sunday put new gas in and pulled til my shoulder hurt....hung it back up....looking for a goat....

lawn mowers that I did not drain all started right up....both riding mower with battery start and push mower with pull cord start. Pull cord only took two pulls.

Floyd":34bhvukj said:
Shindaiwa. Had a T27 straight shaft 21 yr now.

New one would 262 or 272.

They taks a brush blade as well
been using a shindaiwa the last few year's, been great so far... found it on the side of the road, must of fell of a lawn care truck ..she fired right up
:cowboy:

pdfangus":6dp6h1fu said:
last year had starting problems....finally spent half the price of a new one getting it going again. They blamed ethanol gas....
so I used a recommended gas treatment in all gas I bought.

A couple of the fallers I know and my trusted chain saw mechanic all claim that the ethanol in the gas is causing problems in chain saws. There is one station here that sells gas which is ethanol free. All the timber fallers are getting their saw gas there. If it is causing problems in saws it would cause problems in a weed eater.

I have a stihl weed eater. I wouldn't buy any other brand.

Dave":3kcdw8qm said:
pdfangus":3kcdw8qm said:
so I used a recommended gas treatment in all gas I bought.

A couple of the fallers I know and my trusted chain saw mechanic all claim that the ethanol in the gas is causing problems in chain saws. There is one station here that sells gas which is ethanol free. All the timber fallers are getting their saw gas there. If it is causing problems in saws it would cause problems in a weed eater.

I have a stihl weed eater. I wouldn't buy any other brand.

OH I AGREE ABOUT STIHL....
I HAVE CHAIN SAW AND WEEDEATER....
BUT IF IT COST A HUNDRED BUCKS A COUPLE OF TIMES A YEAR TO GET IT TO WHERE I CAN START IT.....
TWO GOATS SHOULD LAST ME TEN YEARS.

I DON'T KNOW OF A STATION WITHIN 50 MILE OF HERE WITHOUT ETHANOL GAS....
MY COUSIN IS A NEW HOLLAND DEALER AND THEY SELL A LOT OF LAWNMOWERS TOO.....
HAVE CONSTANT COMPLAINTS AND PROBLEMS....
HE GOT ONE OF THE SMALL ENGINE MFGS TO COME DOWN AND THE FIRST THING THE GUY DID WAS GO OUT AND BUY A GALON OF GAS FROM A BUNCH OF STATIONS AND TEST IT.....FOUND ETAHANOL AS HIGH AS 35 % IN SOME SAMPLES.

SAYS IT JUST EATS THE RUBBER AND PLASTIC PARTS OUT OF THE CARBURETOR. AND AS IT EVAPORATES LEAVES A VENEER OF GUNK ON EVERYTHING.

Latest posts