Weed control

Help Support CattleToday:

Pharmer

Reaction score
I do not have a sprayer, and there is always a wait list to use the one at the Co-op. I was wondering what I can do when I fertilize to control the weeds. Is there a granular product I can spread with the fertilizer. Thanks for any advice.

Pharmer, there sure is. Sprakil, Topsite, or Weedblast to name a few.i bought a 25 gal tank sprayer and built another out of a 55 gal drum. the 25gal ran about $135 where the pump and hose and sprayer for the 55gal drum ran me some where around $65. i already had the drum. i apply a pint of GLY-4 in 10 gals of water per acre. i know your asking about dry herbicide. but it dont take long to figure out that enen though buying sprayers and all, spraying is much cheaper way of going. i think even 1 appication of dry would pay for your sprayer and spray the field. jmho

LazyM is right, you can build a cheap spay rig.
Now that you have the rig built, why not switch to liquid organic fertilzer products and get rid of your weeds for good and save money on, Fertilizer, Lime, Herbicides and Pesticides.
Just a thought!
Brad

another thought is to keep that ph up above 5.5 if your grazing us 60lbs of ammonia nitrate and what ever your p and k needs are and keep it bushhogged. most people go out of their way to fight weeds but the natural way. if you keep your grass cut to at least no taller than 6" then the weeds dont have a chance if the grass is healthy.
That having been said, if you have a bad weed problem already your probaaly going to have to use a herbicide to get some kind of control of it so you cabn mange it.

TheLazyM said:
most people go out of their way to fight weeds but the natural way. if you keep your grass cut to at least no taller than 6" then the weeds dont have a chance if the grass is healthy.quote]

I agree 110%. I have only been in the cattle business a short time and this past fall we bought a farm that has been neglected for several years, so we have our work cut out for us on weed/briar control. But, as lazyM said, if you get the grass in really good shape the weeds will choke. It is a much smaller scale, but this is the principle that I use in my yard at my house and it works very well! We started six years ago with bermuda sprigs and now it looks as good or better as most of the people who could afford to install an "instant" yard by sodding every square inch from the get go. Sure, it wasn't extremely perfect for the first couple of years, but when the bermuda really took off, it just completely overtook the weeds.

Zach

Latest posts