Website

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Some of you might remember me as Santas and Durham Reds from waaaay back. After 30 years of breeding gerts we changed things around a little over a year ago. Our oldest son took a liking to a different breed and choosing industry over breed we changed our focus in order to help feed his interest. Ultimately, cattle and the lifestyle are what it's all about. Over the past week or so we decided it was time to revamp our old website which was untouched for 10 years. A lot has changed in what you can do with a website. We added a blog to help us keep it up to date and to help encourage more participation by our son. Have a look:

missourimeadows .com

Yeah I posted on the other just in case it wasn't allowed on this board. I know websites were shared on here back in the day but didn't know if things changed or not. Not displaying to advertise or sell per say. Just spreading word, trying to get reacquainted, and maybe get some feedback. Would rather not get in conversation over if they are areal breed or not. That's a dead horse.

MissouriMeadows said:
Yeah I posted on the other just in case it wasn't allowed on this board. I know websites were shared on here back in the day but didn't know if things changed or not. Not displaying to advertise or sell per say. Just spreading word, trying to get reacquainted, and maybe get some feedback. Would rather not get in conversation over if they are areal breed or not. That's a dead horse.

Rats! I was hoping we could do just that.

Just my opinion, hate to see someone change breeds completely with many years of effort behind them. Gert Hereford crosses are some good cattle. I have to say that I am in somewhat of a similar change in direction too, but more from a commercial cattle standpoint. We have run several Hereford cows and in recent years straight bred to Hereford bulls. Markets just aren't as enthused about them as we are, so I am in the process of trying some of our own home raised "black Herefords". Mainly to get black hided calves and hopefully still retain a disposition and efficiency of Herefords. I certainly won't knock the concept of that kind of cattle.

I hold nothing against Gerts. We just feel there are a lot more future opportunities for us and ours at this time with the change and when your kid shows interest in something you feel the need to help support that rather than try to make a puzzle piece fit where it just doesn't. I had a similar experience when I was his age and developed a liking for gerts in the first place. I have seen a major decline in gert breeders in our area over the past 30 years and I see growth in the direction we are going. We did well with gerts and have no doubt we could have continued to have done well. I will say this change has reinvigorated my personal interest in the industry, partly knowing I can share it with my oldest son.

I am too, changing breeds after 18 years of Black Angus cattle. Great breed, just can't deal with disposition anymore. I just looked at a nice registered black Hereford bull last weekend ago. Nice bull, just not heifer safe.

MissouriMeadows said:
I hold nothing against Gerts. We just feel there are a lot more future opportunities for us and ours at this time with the change and when your kid shows interest in something you feel the need to help support that rather than try to make a puzzle piece fit where it just doesn't. I had a similar experience when I was his age and developed a liking for gerts in the first place. I have seen a major decline in gert breeders in our area over the past 30 years and I see growth in the direction we are going. We did well with gerts and have no doubt we could have continued to have done well. I will say this change has reinvigorated my personal interest in the industry, partly knowing I can share it with my oldest son.

Yes, I understand, I wasn't implying any negativity towards change. I just was thinking from personal perspective about what happened when most everyone changed over to black cattle. I think a lot of good herds of Gerts, Beefmasters, Charolais, Herefords, etc. were lost. I don't blame anyone for adapting I have done the same. It's great that another generation being interested in the cattle industry.

Muddy said:
I am too, changing breeds after 18 years of Black Angus cattle. Great breed, just can't deal with disposition anymore. I just looked at a nice registered black Hereford bull last weekend ago. Nice bull, just not heifer safe.

On our blog we posted our birthweight data for this year with our Black Hereford Bull. If I recall our avg was 77 lbs or in that ball park. Actually I made my youngest son do his math lesson for the day by figuring the average, the median, and the mode of all the calves for the year. :lol:

Latest posts