Weaning question

Help Support CattleToday:

VanC

Reaction score
This has been rattling around in my head for a couple of days. Have put off asking for fear of showing my ignorance. But then I figure the cat is already out of the bag on that one, so here goes. ;-)

Let's say someone wants to wean some of their calves a month or two before the rest. Can the cows without calves be left in the same pasture as the ones that are still nursing? What kind of problems would this cause, if any? Anybody do this?

VanC":2roo1r9t said:
This has been rattling around in my head for a couple of days. Have put off asking for fear of showing my ignorance. But then I figure the cat is already out of the bag on that one, so here goes. ;-)

Let's say someone wants to wean some of their calves a month or two before the rest. Can the cows without calves be left in the same pasture as the ones that are still nursing? What kind of problems would this cause, if any? Anybody do this?

We wean in 2 groups. Never had any problems of any kind.

I've done that a time or two with no problems. Occasionally a calf (not weaned) would try to 'steal' milk from a cow whose calf was weaned, but the cow wouldn't allow it.

Katherine

Not a problem at all.... I have found with my herds that my calves will actually nurse a few cows in the herd. I sell calves year around off the herd.....I would suggest though that if you are planning to wean, make sure you get the calves to a pasture away from the cows (preferably another location) to prevent stress resulting from audio and visual contact with no physical contact.....this causes stress on both animals which results in weight loss.

Christopher Lucy":1fcjnyox said:
make sure you get the calves to a pasture away from the cows (preferably another location) to prevent stress resulting from audio and visual contact with no physical contact.....this causes stress on both animals which results in weight loss.

Christopher, did you read the article the above poster linked? Very surprising.

VanC":3844cbe8 said:

Never done it, always fencelined all at once. But maybe you are a pathfinder on this one! Maybe reduce overall stress ( stress equals noise! ).

For me it is a matter of handling, vaccs, castrate etc and wean. Less handling all around is usually better for me.

Your reasons for splitting them have my interest? :lol:

Ricker,

Just read the article and I am surpised. We used the "same pasture" method once with 10 calves and the results where awful. Cows and calves didn't eat. Troughs still had grain in them after two days which we have NEVER seen before. After that, we sent calves to another location and couldn't keep the troughs full enough, our feed times for grain went from every other day to every day for the calves and they were ready for market about 2 weeks sooner then previous.

VanC":18az2k7z said:

Usually yes I had one that would nurse anything the calfs lined up like she was Luby's.

We always have some calves weaned at different time than main group. No problem.
Unless you can move the cows/calves far enough away that they cannot hear each other, fenceline weaning has worked the best for us. Total opposites - either no sight or sound or full sight & sound.
Put cows & calves in the "weaning" area for 1 day, so calves learn where water & food source is - than move cows out into field adjoining. BUT, (big BUT) you must have great fencing - we have hot 4 strands hi-tensile.

Christopher Lucy":1gkk2hi9 said:
Ricker,

Just read the article and I am surpised. We used the "same pasture" method once with 10 calves and the results where awful. Cows and calves didn't eat. Troughs still had grain in them after two days which we have NEVER seen before. After that, we sent calves to another location and couldn't keep the troughs full enough, our feed times for grain went from every other day to every day for the calves and they were ready for market about 2 weeks sooner then previous.

Interesting. I was shocked when I read it as well. It just seemed to defy logic, except that the calves might stop walking and searching when they knew where mamma was.

But I am a newbie and so am learning each day.

The calves & cows can smell each other & lay down next to each other at the fence. Calves do much better than Moms, which is the main goal. We wean early enough in the season that we still have grass, so calves just wander off & eat grass when they are hungry. Works great, been doing it for past 3 years. Bawling lasts maybe first 24 hours.

Latest posts