Weaning Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie said:
There's really no way to answer that. You say you're now feeding hay and gluten. How much hay? How good of a hay? If the hay is good it should be all they need. If it is not they need protein.

Sorry, I really worded my question poorly. I'm learning you don't want too much of their diet to be gluten, how much is too much in my situation?

I've never fed it. Better to opt to someone in the know. What is the protein content etc?

I look at the cow pies. Height of cow pies will tell you something. You can search on here and get more detail on that. Right now my cows are not getting enough protein in my opinion. Normally the hay is rich but this year it does not seem as good, and I grow my own. I am therefore looking at their body condition. They are holding just fine. Calves look good. So I have not supplemented with protein tubs or done anything other than feeding hay. But I am watching close.

skyhightree1":2ugmzmxd said:
backhoeboogie":2ugmzmxd said:
If the hay is good it should be all they need. If it is not they need protein.

Hmm... I think I heard that mentioned somewhere before... ;-)

Several hundred times probably. Nutrition is the one thing all breeds and climates have in common.

The subject of juicing bales with liquid protein went through my head this year. My hay seems light in protein this year. Somebody on here a few years back was discussing juicing hay. Never thought there would be a need for me to even consider that.

dun":17vagjzi said:
If you used Pfizer vaccines you can enter the calves in one of the Pfizer weaning/vaccination programs. It's free and you will receive a handfull of cards that specify whihc program they are enrolled in. I've found that it's worth a couple of pennys a pound when they are sold. It's more then enough to make up for the additioanl costs of weaning/vaccinating.
That's neat Dun. Never heard of it before. Thanks for sharing the info!

backhoeboogie":3w1b6cdo said:
skyhightree1":3w1b6cdo said:
backhoeboogie":3w1b6cdo said:
If the hay is good it should be all they need. If it is not they need protein.

Hmm... I think I heard that mentioned somewhere before... ;-)

Several hundred times probably. Nutrition is the one thing all breeds and climates have in common.

The subject of juicing bales with liquid protein went through my head this year. My hay seems light in protein this year. Somebody on here a few years back was discussing juicing hay. Never thought there would be a need for me to even consider that.

Oh no BHB I had been talking to Toad and told him put some tubs out and not to worry about all the other stuff. I was just teasing him.

Toad":j09kt2v5 said:
If I did decide to just feed the whole herd a bit of gluten every day instead of weaning how much should I feed? 10 cows and 10 calves

If u have decent hay you probably only need to supplement for protein. I would think DDGS would be better than gluten. But Iam far from a feed expert so take this info to heart to much. But if you have good hay that probably all your cows need if u could fix a place where just the calves could come in and supplement would save on feed.

Sky, I can't find tubs that compare in price to gluten.
I have decent hay but I haven't had it tested. The calves look in good shape but a few of the first calf heifers are starting to get thin. Gluten is by far the cheapest protein I've found locally so thats why I was feeding it. I may just up my lb per head of that and sell the calves straight off the cows around the first of March.

Toad":tyvuf74g said:
I have decent hay but I haven't had it tested. The calves look in good shape but a few of the first calf heifers are starting to get thin. Gluten is by far the cheapest protein I've found locally so thats why I was feeding it. I may just up my lb per head of that and sell the calves straight off the cows around the first of March.
If you can wein the calves both the cow and the calf will do better than just feeding more gluten. I know that dont make sense but the conversion rate of feed to lbs is better if the calf is weaned. Plus you will get a much better price when you sell if they are weaned. By doing this if your hay is decent you may not need to feed the cows at all. All the feed can be used to add lbs to the calves.

I saw a guy try feeding straight gluten to a bunch of calves, he lost about half of them the half the lived took a long time to get back on track. But heck its cheap!!!

Toad":ef5m4o7l said:

Have checked prices lately but when I had my bin feeled up DDGS was around 175 a ton. How much is gluten per ton?

I know that there aren't a lot of Purena fans on here. But I feed 5 pounds a day of Purena Pre-Con 5 for the first 10 days of weaning. The calves really go for it. It gets them eating grain really good and replaces the nutrients they are missing by not getting mother's milk. By day two there is very little bawling and by day three all you hear is the smacking of lips. On day eleven I switch them over to the ration I plan to feed. I absolutely swear by this method of weaning calves. I have test weighed calves and they don't have the weight loss issue people talk about. I also don't have the health issues people talk about related to weaning. Of course I follow a Vac 45 vaccination plan so the calves are pretty well vaccinated before weaning. The cost of vaccine and the Pre-con 5 is about $25-30 per calf. It doesn't take a lot of pounds to make that up.

These calves were born last summer so they are between 7 and 5 months old.
Gluten costs me $165 per ton and its the only thing I have found locally in bulk. I may need to drive a bit and find some other supplier. I buy it in the big one ton sacks.