weaning calves

Help Support CattleToday:

dakota8

Reaction score
we had our calves seperated 6 weeks and we just put them back together this morning . out of the 4 ,1 went back to its mother and started to suck she dosent have any milk, will she start to produce milk again .should we seperate them again?

We ended up being a little late to get onto a field for the calves this winter, so we stuck them back with one group of cows after they had been weaned for 4 weeks. Out of the 60 calves we put with them, 4 found their mothers and went back to sucking, and the cows are lactating.

I would have never thought it would happen, but it did. We finally got them seperated after two weeks, but it sort of bugged me that they went back to doing it. I hate having to put the calves back with cows, but the way we graze irrigation circles, we have to wait until we can get on them.

dakota8":16zzxf93 said:
we had our calves seperated 6 weeks and we just put them back together this morning . out of the 4 ,1 went back to its mother and started to suck she dosent have any milk, will she start to produce milk again .should we seperate them again?

6 weeks should have solved this problem and dried up the cow...but...is there a chance moma and the calf could have still linked up while penned? (ie through the fence). At that age, the calf could cause damage to the teat if the mother continues to let it suckle while she is dry. I would think she would kick it off if she was dry. There is also the chance another cow(s) was keeping that cow lactating (by suckling) and she never dried up. Try using a plastic weaning ring in the snout of the calf...that will stop the nonsense...if the calf goes to other cows or calves and tries to suckle them..then you got a problem....may take longer seperation..or you might just want to sell it.

dakota8":bvuqm81o said:
Unbred hiefer calves in a feedlot will produce some milk if they are being sucked by one another. So it is possible for her to produce milk again.