weaning calf

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I have a 3 month old calf. Is he old enough to wean.<br>He eats plenty of grain and hay a day plus grazes in<br>the pasture. I am new at this so any advice would be<br>appriciated. Thanks
<br>
<br><hr size=7 width=75%><p>

(User Above)":3m5jqfa7 said:
: I have a 3 month old calf. Is he old enough to wean.<br>: He eats plenty of grain and hay a day plus grazes in<br>: the pasture. I am new at this so any advice would be<br>: appriciated. Thanks<p>we usually let them stay om mama until they are at least 6 mths old, this gives them<br>a good start.<br>
<br>

[email protected]

(User Above)":3omoetmv said:
: I have a 3 month old calf. Is he old enough to wean.<br>: He eats plenty of grain and hay a day plus grazes in<br>: the pasture. I am new at this so any advice would be<br>: appriciated. Thanks<p>Why do you wish to wean a calf this young? The <br>calf may do better is weaning is postponed until<br>he/she is 350 to 400 lbs.<br>Phil
<br>

[email protected]

Terry, I think the relative question here is this a bottle calf or is it nursing the cow? Either way 3 months is a bit early to be weaning it when you look at the long term. As for he grain... is it eating calf starter or grain? At 3 months it should be eating starter or creep feed.Starter and creep are designed to develop the rumen properly as well as make sure that the calf is supported nutritionally. Grain alone doesn't do this and can actually be detrimental to the development of the rumen. Keep in mind that cows are herbivores meaning that vergetation is what they were designed to eat.<br>Janet<p>
<br>

[email protected]

Latest posts