weaning calf

Help Support CattleToday:

fav

Reaction score
I have a 2 month old bull calf who's mother was struck by lightening that I am bottle feeding. I have had him for three weeks. I have fresh sweet feed, hay and water in the pen with him but he is not interested. I feed him milk 3 times a day. How can I make him start eating the feed and hay and get him off of the bottle?

Drop him down to a bottle 2 times a day instead of 3. And only put enough sweet feed out for him to clean up each feeding untill he gets to eating more.

I raised a bottle baby this spring whose mother had died and I put her with a smaller bull calf that I had just weaned and he taught her how to eat. You may not have another calf that you could put her with but it's a big help if they can be with another one to teach them. Try to put a little feed in your hand and see if he'll lick it off, once he gets a taste he should start eating on his own.

fav":3ax83dch said:
I have a 2 month old bull calf who's mother was struck by lightening that I am bottle feeding. I have had him for three weeks. I have fresh sweet feed, hay and water in the pen with him but he is not interested. I feed him milk 3 times a day. How can I make him start eating the feed and hay and get him off of the bottle?

you didnt say what percent protein your sweet feed is, but there is a calf starter feed that is about 18%.. you might want to consider using it.

jt

Thanks for your suggestions. I am feeding a high protein calf starter.

Latest posts