Weaned a whopper

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven said:
Rich

Too much available protein tends to become toxic (acidosis) and it manifests itself by causing inflammation in the feet. Specifically, laminitis.

As you and I discussed via text, I would use your lower quality hay for cattle. If your lower quality hay is still too rich, don't provide it on a free choice basis.

As for grain formulated feeds, don't get too far in the opposite direction toward energy (carbohydrates) or they will become over conditioned. A good protein level is 16 % with high levels of fiber. I have been talking with David Gray, the nutritionist with Southern States. He educated me on the above information. This winter I am going to start my calves on a feed that he formulated. It is more than just feed. It has yeast, probiotics and vitamins.

Here is the concept he gave me: feed your seedstock so they achieve their maximum genetic potential without harm or adding too much fat. If you do that, your cattle will be at their optimum.

Great advice!

Bright Raven said:
Richnm said:
https://vimeo.com/358375915 This is the quality of alfalfa he ate.

Rich. I think you said the bull pictured in the original post was given alfalfa, free choice. The alfalfa you got here is excellent. You should have it tested. The leaves have stayed on so it could be in the 20 or higher percent range for protein. That is very rich.

BTW: to be clear. Was the bull also supplemented with feed?

I would guarantee that alfalfa is in the 20's. Kudos to Richnm for making some quality hay, but don't free choice that to cows, you're going to wreck them. Even dairy's don't feed that quality without putting some lower quality fiber in it.

CreekAngus said:
Bright Raven said:
Richnm said:
https://vimeo.com/358375915 This is the quality of alfalfa he ate.

Rich. I think you said the bull pictured in the original post was given alfalfa, free choice. The alfalfa you got here is excellent. You should have it tested. The leaves have stayed on so it could be in the 20 or higher percent range for protein. That is very rich.

BTW: to be clear. Was the bull also supplemented with feed?

I would guarantee that alfalfa is in the 20's. Kudos to Richnm for making some quality hay, but don't free choice that to cows, you're going to wreck them. Even dairy's don't feed that quality without putting some lower quality fiber in it.

Correct. I would not be surprised to hear it is 30 %. Rich is doing catch-up. A 500 acre operation has been dropped into his lap by unfortunate circumstances. They raise 200 acres of hay. Hopefully, he can select hay that is not so rich for cattle.

Latest posts