Wean then breed?

Help Support CattleToday:

Baustin

Reaction score
Just wondering if you guys wean calves off the mamas before you breed them back again. I pasture breed and want to avoid an accident with a calf from an overzealous bull.

Our cows are bred back (with bull) 2 months after calving, then the bull is removed from the cows 4 months after calving (60 days with bull). Then we wean the calves around 7 months of age.

Like Kenny said waiting to breed till after you wean is not going to be profitable. We haven't had a problem with a bull hurting a calf during breeding season.

Just wondering if you guys wean calves off the mamas before you breed them back again. I pasture breed and want to avoid an accident with a calf from an overzealous bull.
You're over thinking it. Nobody weans calves to breed cows.
I've never heard of a calf injured by a bull breeding the momma.

That's true, by the time a cow is cycling again after calving, the calf is going to be fast enough and able to get out of the way of a bull. I have noticed over time that calves really don't seem to be very close to the cow while a bull is following her, unless its some older bull calves.

No ! Put the bull in according to when you want next years calves . Take him out 60 or even 90 days later . A good healthy cow should calve at least every 11-12 months . You heifer calves shouldn't be over 2-3 months old when breeding occurs . If the bull is in with 6-7 month old heifers you might get an oops !

No ! Put the bull in according to when you want next years calves . Take him out 60 or even 90 days later . A good healthy cow should calve at least every 11-12 months . You heifer calves shouldn't be over 2-3 months old when breeding occurs . If the bull is in with 6-7 month old heifers you might get an oops

Okay. I had a momma and 2-1/2 week-old calf separated out with 2 bulls who were outside of the 'nursery' pen w
that held a few other expectant cows waiting to calve. One afternoon both bulls started working hard to cover that momma and I was concerned for the calf underfoot. I thought maybe the smell of two other cows that were calving got them excited? I dunno. Didnt expect them to be jumping her like that, so I put cow/calf pair back in nursery pen. Just didnt want to see those near misses again and that maybe i ought to be doing something different. But at 2 mos it makes sense a calf would be able to get clear and not have an issue if there's plenty of space for everyone. My Bulls and cows usually live together and were fine for several days. Then suddenly they're not leaving her alone. Wouldn't think she'd be cycling. Dunno.

Okay. I had a momma and 2-1/2 week-old calf separated out with 2 bulls who were outside of the 'nursery' pen w
that held a few other expectant cows waiting to calve. One afternoon both bulls started working hard to cover that momma and I was concerned for the calf underfoot. I thought maybe the smell of two other cows that were calving got them excited? I dunno. Didnt expect them to be jumping her like that, so I put cow/calf pair back in nursery pen. Just didnt want to see those near misses again and that maybe i ought to be doing something different. But at 2 mos it makes sense a calf would be able to get clear and not have an issue if there's plenty of space for everyone. My Bulls and cows usually live together and were fine for several days. Then suddenly they're not leaving her alone. Wouldn't think she'd be cycling. Dunno.
You've thrown a spanner in the works by putting her in with 2 bulls, of course there will be argie bargie as they compete over who gets to cover her, possibly neither got to breed her but they would not care who or what got in the way. You were lucky that the calf was not injured.

Ken

My calving season is happening right now-early June. I'll get bull in there July-aug to hit my ideal calving season to avoid the wet / semi cold temps. Sure I burn a couple months by waiting til July to get the bull in there but calving season is much nice in may/ June than March April.

Turn bulls in 60 days after start of calving season breedfor 90 daysand you should not have an issue with breeding heifer calves.

Latest posts