weak calf

Help Support CattleToday:

pits4life

Reaction score
I have a 3 day old calf that has gotten to weak to nurse this has been going on 2 days,I was bottle feeding it but now it refuses to take the bottle ,it is very weak,I thought about drenching it with Re-sorb,but that is mainly for scours.I was wanting you alls input on what to do or suggestions,should i just drench it with milk replacer or what its mother threw a weak calve last year but it finally made it ,so this cow is gone after this.Thanks for any suggestions,by the way it is an angus bull calf......

sounds like you know the answer - tube it with milk replacer, electrolytes if needed and see how it goes.

...if the little bugger scours or otherwise - treat it as needed

...might not hurt to give it a shot of Bo-Se if you have any (might perk him up a little -- Vitamin B and selenium)

Go ahead and tube it with electrolytes...at this point what can it hurt...it can only help. If you see a change for the better, keep with the milk replacer and 2 hrs. late give it more electrolytes.

BTW...don't ever stop the milk replacer.

Alice

pits4life":ghunj3is said:
I have a 3 day old calf that has gotten to weak to nurse this has been going on 2 days,I was bottle feeding it but now it refuses to take the bottle ,it is very weak,I thought about drenching it with Re-sorb,but that is mainly for scours.I was wanting you alls input on what to do or suggestions,should i just drench it with milk replacer or what its mother threw a weak calve last year but it finally made it ,so this cow is gone after this.Thanks for any suggestions,by the way it is an angus bull calf......

The breed is not important, he is weak because he's not getting enough to eat. Believe it or not, it takes energy to suck a bottle, too. Unless he has scours forget the electrolytes unless he is showing a reason to feed them. Tube him with a pint or two of milk every 2-4 hours until he starts showing the energy and ability to nurse a bottle. Don't give him a quart at a time because, if you do, you will end up with a scouring calf, and you don't need that. His system cannot handle that much milk at one time. After a day, preferably two, increase the milk by a pint every two to three feedings, and watch him carefully for scours. If he starts scouring, hold him steady for several feedings. If they continue, back him off by a half pint or so. Once the feces have firmed up, increase the milk again by a pint and watch him again. Keep increasing very gradually until he is at 2 gallons of milk spread out over 2-3 feedings a day. Introduce him to grain a handful at a time(keep it fresh - feed what he doesn't eat to your other cattle), and once he is eating 2-3 lbs per day, start cutting out one feeding a pint every day. Don't forget to provide good quality hay. Grass will help keep his system functioning properly, but don't be afraid to mix in a little good quality alfalfa because it carries a higher protein content. As the grain increases, keep reducing the milk by a pint every day, or every other day depending on how much grain and hay he is eating. After you get him raised and weaned, present his mother with a one way ticket to the local salebarn.

Latest posts