We were spared - again!

Help Support CattleToday:

Huge progress today and a lot of neighbors will be coming over to cut wood for their fireplaces (ours are gas). The quote for a new stock trailer was almost as shocking as seeing how badly our old one is damaged. Got it up-ended and the rear tires don't even move, had to drag it out of the way with the track loader, found the cover that goes over the storage area in the creek behind the woods. Utility company was out again, going to install 2 new posts & reconfigure the electrical lines. Insurance claim has been filed, adjuster will be out early next week. Contractor that built the mechanical barn (last year!) was out yesterday & today, still has the plans & has already ordered replacement parts. I made a trip into town to buy a ridiculous amount of beer for all our guests, helpers & neighbors. All good!

farmerjan":114usbv1 said:
OMG is there anything we can do to help? Am so glad that you did not lose the house and that the animals are okay. Since you live in an area that has tornadoes I assume that you carry insurance to cover for it, and stuff can be replaced; people cannot.

Actually, yes! We've decided to go ahead & work cattle/wean/preg check tomorrow so please send positive thoughts, good juju, prayers (whatever works for you). We're borrowing a neighbors stock trailer and according to the Farmers Almanac it's considered a "best day" to wean but we could use some additional good luck :)

Well at least you can check out the floor boards on the cattle trailer now. I can't imagine how the pole went through the shed, looks like it got picked up and speared in.

I hope that you get everything sorted with the minimum disruption.

Ken

wbvs58":amiryxoz said:
Well at least you can check out the floor boards on the cattle trailer now. I can't imagine how the pole went through the shed, looks like it got picked up and speared in.

Ken

Are there tornadoes in Australia? That's exactly what happened; snapped it right off & jetted it into the wall, it was sticking inside about 6 ft, knocked over a bunch of cattle tubs and was dangerously close to taking out shelving full of supplies, tools, etc. The first time we were hit, tin & parts of our barn were found almost 2 miles away in a neighbors pasture. Mother Nature can be cruel - and freakishly strong!

Bestoutwest":2ayu2lxy said:
The media only cares if big houses get harmed. Here in ID we have 100,000+ acre forest fires that never make the news, but

Not too long ago, a friend of ours was out that way, fighting forest fires. The photos were unbelievable! So dry.

TCRanch":1mnpcnme said:
D2Cat":1mnpcnme said:
TCRanch, was that storm Wed night? We had 4.2" of rain just east of Garnett, and 3/4" at the house 23 miles to the NW. Blew about half the pears off the trees, it seems.

It's good to see you are OK, with damage to property only.

I wasn't paying much attention to the news/weather, so was not aware of your risk. Did you have much warning?

No, yesterday afternoon (Thurs) around 3:00. We have emergency alerts on our phones because there aren't any sirens out here. Looked outside the window, saw the funnel & bolted downstairs to the safe room. We could actually hear it from down there. It was surreal.

We are 180 miles NE of you in Miami County. At 3:00 Thur. I was out splitting some hedge firewood with the splitter. Calm with sunshine.

Thank God you had the alert, and a place to go!

I ain't scared of bad weather much. But tornadoes are the exception. They scare me. So very strong and sudden a times. Devastating power. Glad I don't have first hand experience with one. Glad it wasn't worse TC. Hope the cattle working goes smooth for you and that the insurance company treats you fair.

TCRanch":2trl1xtc said:
wbvs58":2trl1xtc said:

Ken

Are there tornadoes in Australia? That's exactly what happened; snapped it right off & jetted it into the wall, it was sticking inside about 6 ft, knocked over a bunch of cattle tubs and was dangerously close to taking out shelving full of supplies, tools, etc. The first time we were hit, tin & parts of our barn were found almost 2 miles away in a neighbors pasture. Mother Nature can be cruel - and freakishly strong!

TC, no we don't have tornadoes anything like what you get there. Occaisionally with summer storms a path of damage is done by strong winds that is described as a tornado or tornado like but if indeed the winds are in a whirly whirly pattern they are small and dissipate quickly.

Ken

I was expecting you to tell how the tornado destroyed your new truck, glad you survived with minimal damage.

kerley":3bl6ybec said:
I was expecting you to tell how the tornado destroyed your new truck, glad you survived with minimal damage.

Oh, Lord have mercy! That would have put me over the edge :). Ironically, we were just going to move Hubby's Man Truck to the mechanical barn but the storm hit too fast & obviously it was safer parked outside in the driveway.

Cross-7":18p418zz said:
What type of storm shelter do y'all have ?

The house has a walk out basement and we have a "safe room" that is located under the front porch; you have to go through the den & under the stairs storage area to get to it. The room is all cement with a heavy metal door - furnished with sleeping bags, water and, most important, a porta potty.

Glad you guys are okay, everything else can be replaced.

Kind of strange it hitting that same area of your farm twice, I'd think twice before parking anything you really like in that shop. Be better off to build a garage up near the house.

Good luck with the cleanup.

cfpinz":2qtgd1sk said:
Glad you guys are okay, everything else can be replaced.

Kind of strange it hitting that same area of your farm twice, I'd think twice before parking anything you really like in that shop. Be better off to build a garage up near the house.

Good luck with the cleanup.

We were actually just talking about building either a porte-cochere extending from the garage or a separate, detached garage on the other side of the driveway. Great minds think alike :)

BTW the bull calf we had just weaned clocked in at 820 lbs!

TCRanch":3nblkm1b said:
Cross-7":3nblkm1b said:
What type of storm shelter do y'all have ?

The house has a walk out basement and we have a "safe room" that is located under the front porch; you have to go through the den & under the stairs storage area to get to it. The room is all cement with a heavy metal door - furnished with sleeping bags, water and, most important, a porta potty.
That's how our safe room is made we have a 8'x32' front porch and we had the floor of the porch or ceiling of the room... poured 11" thick with extra reinforcement. Not as prepared as you, no potty :?

TCRanch":c72v5siu said:
Kingfisher":c72v5siu said:
True Grit Farms":c72v5siu said:
Glad y'all are all right. Does a tornado really sound like a train?
It does when it has a little bit if hail paving the way...

We didn't have any hail but the debris makes it sound like a train. We could hear the trees splitting/falling.
I bet that weather trips you out! Yes we left Volente and headed toward Lakeway in that pic. "I'm coming home momma...:)"

Latest posts