we need a buy sell trade forum on here

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5":13ocbz3n said:
WalnutCrest":13ocbz3n said:
backhoeboogie":13ocbz3n said:
Private Messages can get it done. I've bought some cows, donated some hay, sold some hay, bought a cattle trailer etc. All pm's. We have exchanged phone numbers now. Some of them don't even post here any more but they still stay in touch from time to time.

This.

PMs have allowed me to sell a semen tank, nearly buy some cows, sell some semen, nearly sell some heifers, sell some embryos, etc.

If you're looking for something, post a WTB and wait for PMs.

Moderating this sort of thing will be a thankless (and unpaid) task.

A lot of BST is done on impulse. I may not need anything but If I see something I might say "hey I want that"

I agree with M5 on this. I have bought a lot of things off Craigslist not because I was looking for it or needed it but because it was a good deal or I just wanted it.

My thoughts..
The BST section needs, at the very least, to be visible to all members. Probably/possibly even to members and guests in order to reach the maximum number of sellers and buyers. A hidden, secret, 'by invitation', section is going to limit who is available to see a buy or sell ad, thus limit the ability to move the items. As someone else stated, many purchases are on impulse. As long as a person has $$, do ya really care who buys it? Do you give a crap who the guy raising his hand at the sale barn is?

The malls or BSTs I have seen elsewhere work best if (for the most part) only the ad is shown. Discussions about the items for sale or WTB need to take place either via PM or by contact info the buyer or seller posts. A "If interested, send me a PM for more information" type thing. Seller/buyer can edit their ad if questions arise via PM/email/ or phone. There can be some leeway in that aspect, but otherwise, the sections often gets clouded up with endless questions and comments about the items, or even worse, adverse comments on the seller or buyer, and that always causes problems, hard feelings, and firefights.

I've moderated a military related board in the past, with a dozen or more sections in it and several thousand active members and hundreds of daily contributors.
It was not all that difficult. Just a single BST section shouldn't take nearly as much time or effort, especially on a board like CT where the membership is pretty mature and comparatively respectful toward each other.

While I do get annoyed if it takes too long to get approved to view a "section", there has to be some criteria about it.. lets say 1 month membership and 50 posts... You have to have some of this stuff automated, but not set the standards too high...
If "likes" were enabled on the forum, you could have a certain amount of "likes" required to access it.. lets say just 10, which would make users post some meaningful stuff to get accepted.

HDRider":2f42cr3i said:
Can we vote habitual pest off the island?

You got a second on that motion.

Some people are just paddlers.

Other people just like to haggle. No intention of buying, they just want to haggle.

Latest posts