We all should pay attention-Bull tramples farmer to death

Help Support CattleToday:

I feed backhoeboogies bull cubes occasionally by hand. There has been a couple of times when the neighbors cow was in heat he acted like a different bull. Didnt want to be around him at all. That was the first time I had ever seen him look aggressive. He's 3 years old and generally quite dosile. Ever since that one time, I pay much closer attention to him. Im pretty big (300+), but I would be nothing but an afterthought if he got me down...

All of my bulls have been gentle ,easy going bulls but I don't turn my back to them for one second because that's all it takes for an accident to happen.

cowmomma":3t9nkvkb said:
We have a bull for the first time. He is with the herd and we need to bring them into the corral to preg check at the end of the month. We'll probably want him in the bull pen then if he's finished with the cows. What tips do you have for herding them when the bull is with them. We don't have the fencing the way we want it and will have to cross a big open field before we get to the lanes. I was thinking of moving the range cube feeding closer and closer to our final destination over a week or so. But what do I need to know?

It depends on the bull, some bulls can be brought in alone with no problems - others can't. Some herds can be brought in without any problems from the bull and others the bull will try to turn the herd back and prevent them from being moved. I would suggest bringing in the entire herd and then sorting the bull off them unless you are experienced with cattle. Depending on the method you are using to bring the herd in you may not have any problems.....ie, feed, feedwagon, timing for coming into water assuming your water source is in the corral, etc. There are as many variables as there are bulls and I'm not sure what to tell you without more information.

I've been around a few bulls and never had many problems working them. Some, yes but nothing a good hand couldn't handle. Watch them but work them seperatly without getting in contact with them seems kind of unreasonable. If you have a real small place maybe that would be possible.

Beef11":3d05ruo8 said:
Watch them but work them seperatly without getting in contact with them seems kind of unreasonable.

I would have to agree. Sooner or later one is going to have to come into contact with them.

It's like the feeling you get after listening to you buddy's marriage/divorce horror stories.

Except now I feel like I should go kiss my bulls for being so great instead of my wife.

Closes I ever came to getting hurt by a cow / bull was when I was working in college for a Limousin ranch. One of my jobs was to take care of the show bulls. One of the bulls was a puppy dog, could brush, scratch, pet whatever you wanted to do to him with out tying him up.

Until my boss was working some young bulls and brought them into the barn in a different pen. Then all heck broke loose. the bull turned rodeo bull on me. Had me penned up against the building with his head in my gut. Finally after some yelling, hitting and the other bulls getting his attention he let me go.

So even a show bull can turn on you at a snap of a finger. And you are less prepared for it because you can get a false sense of security.

Turned our new bull loose today with some cows in a field with our Mules, we have a 16 1/2 hand Mule that chased him all over the field biting and kicking at him. I think I will use her when the time comes to work him pen to pen. He was running for his life :) Mules do not take any crap from the cows. But they will run from the Shetland Pony we use to have.

aplusmnt":4lsozfh2 said:
So even a show bull can turn on you at a snap of a finger. And you are less prepared for it because you can get a false sense of security.

aplusmnt, I would have to change the wording to say a show bull can turn on you FASTER without the proper handling because he has no fear of people.

msscamp":ci12cl67 said:
aplusmnt":ci12cl67 said:

aplusmnt, I would have to change the wording to say a show bull can turn on you FASTER without the proper handling because he has no fear of people.

Very true!

Wasn't long ago I answered a post to a fellow who had a bull that was a "bit aggressive" - I told him to shoot it today and butcher it for his friends. I think he ignored the advice and I do not recall hearing from him again - he wanted to know how to "tame down" a bull that was on the prod.

Now-a-days I am pretty careful - I figure I used up my one chance.

Until you have felt one of them pushing you into the ground you have no true idea of their power. Even as I write this my heart rate is up a bit - but I bring it forward for the newbies to read. And maybe for myself as well - sometimes we all need to be reminded.

Only 5% of people who experience an all out attack by a bull live to tell the tale - that stat from a cattlemans mag - I have NEVER forgotten it.

From a while back I wrote: ------------------------------------------

Lots of folks buy bulls - not many like aggression. Even those with the big herds know there is no percentage in breeding it
into the herd.

Appears sjackson may not be posting - hope he is reading this - have not told this tale in many years - I was just 18 at the time. Pop heard my story when he got home and did not bat an eye at what I did. Mind you he found me on the floor looking pretty tough. Still had my boots and coat on - fire in the stove - shivering cold.

Watching a bull on the fight is impressive. As long as you are in a spot with an out. When you are in with him - well, it's not much fun.

Bull tried to take me. I lived to tell the tale - about 32 years ago now - mid winter - no one home but me - bull lived for almost 5 minutes - the time it took to limp to the house and pull out the rifle. Went back in the house and curled up on the kitchen floor in front of the wood stove - slept right there for a couple of hours. Total exhaustion.

Tractor about 20 yards away was my saviour - seemed like miles at the time - managed to crawl under it - even while he was pushing me into the ground. You have no idea how heavy he felt on me - still think about it the odd time.

I bet I was right - you will not take my original advice. You might have a problem and you might not - only time will tell - but personally, I am through gambling.

Stay well.

Bez

tuck":1ij8o9w0 said:
My question is why are dairy bulls so mean, does it have something to with being bottle fed?

Persoanlly I think it's a 2 prong deal. One is they're bottle fed so they're more used to people, the other is that generally they're in a closer proximity to people frequently. There are a lot of them that get brought up with the cows multiple times a day vs: a couple of times a year which is more common with beef bulls.

dun

cowmomma wrote:
We have a bull for the first time. He is with the herd and we need to bring them into the corral to preg check at the end of the month. We'll probably want him in the bull pen then if he's finished with the cows. What tips do you have for herding them when the bull is with them. We don't have the fencing the way we want it and will have to cross a big open field before we get to the lanes. I was thinking of moving the range cube feeding closer and closer to our final destination over a week or so. But what do I need to know?

chiefgriz":yk7zk1j5 said:
I feed backhoeboogies bull cubes occasionally by hand. There has been a couple of times when the neighbors cow was in heat he acted like a different bull. Didnt want to be around him at all. That was the first time I had ever seen him look aggressive. He's 3 years old and generally quite dosile. Ever since that one time, I pay much closer attention to him. Im pretty big (300+), but I would be nothing but an afterthought if he got me down...

That is exactly what I was thinking of telling cowmomma. First thing is to watch how the bull is acting. If there is a cow across the fence winking at him, he's going to be blowing snot and it is not a good day to mess with him. If he has a good smelling cow a half mile away, its not a good day to work him either.

I can scratch my bull a little (thru the fence), feed him a cube occasionally, but I don't want to be around him in the pasture. If there's a cow in season in one of the adjacent pastures, he gets pretty upset about it. He runs the fence and doesn't let any of our cows within 100 feet of the fence. If one of my cows is in season, he cuts her out from the herd and doesn't let any other cow near her. The rest of the time he's a big ole teddy bear, but I keep a warry eye on him when I am in the pasture.

cowmomma":v224ssvw said:
We have a bull for the first time. He is with the herd and we need to bring them into the corral to preg check at the end of the month.

If you watch the herd, sometimes you'll see that the bull has a favorite cow or two that he hangs around with when there's nobody in heat. Knowing which cow(s) that is can help, because you can leave her with him until you need to work her.

When you are moving them, don't try to do it in parts, because the bull won't care for leaving some of his cows behind or letting some of his cows leave. Either way, he's apt to do something to mess up the process.

I don't supplement much except close to calving to make it easier to check, but when I feed them, it's in an area they can be caught. They don't even know anything unusual is going on until the gate closes. Your setup may not allow for it, but it works.

Watch and learn. The more time you spend around cattle, the more sensitive you'll be to what they are likely to do.

Victoria":3b9610wq said:
Was she playing or serious? If she was playing you may have a hope that was the last time, if she was serious then I'd watch my butt if I were you when she calves. If she were my cow she wouldn't get any more chances, I'd get rid of her now. Basically you've got three choices when an animal gets aggressive. You can either run (never in a straight line), slowly back away head slightly lowered as a lower cow in the herd would do with a cow above them in the herd or you can stand your ground and fight back. You got to know the cow and be able to read her body language to know which one to do. If you are going to stand your ground and fight back though you better be sure she's going to back down, if she calls your bluff you'll get far more hurt than she will. Sounds like you did a combination of 2 and 3 - although you did back down from her and she will remember that.

I think she was playing, that's why she is still here. It had turned cold that day and I had just finished feeding. They all were feeling frisky, running about and bucking, and I think she just decided to include me in the game but I don't want to play with an animal that big.
As for backing down, I actually crossed at an angle in front of her as the gate was behind her. I watch her (and all the others) closely now. She had not shown any sign of agression toward me since and was actually the one who stayed closest to me and led the other cows during our recent mile long hike through the woods when they got out. But she is the one that I stare at whenever I feed or try to move them. She knows I'm watching her closely.

Hasbeen,
Playing is different, especially if she is the one who is closest to you and is your leader. They are often the ones that try to play with you when they are young thankfully they seem to grow out of it. :lol: They try to play with their mothers too and they respect them. You had me scared there for a minute, I thought you were looking at some serious trouble.
I had one this winter that wanted to play with me. I open a waterhole for them everyday she bounded up shaking her head and I cracked her on the nose with the axe handle with a loud firm "No". She looked rather confused that I didn't want to play but hasn't bothered me since. Yours probably got the same message. Youthful exuberance, I find it fun to watch in cows, as long as I am on the other side of the fence!

I never walk in a pen with the bull I am not looking for a way out and a fine piece of hickory across the burr of the ear will put him on his butt. There is only one Alpha male on my place I walk in a pen the bull had better walk to the other side. Try and fight me one time or give me that look and he is headed for Hamburger town.

Was walking thru the pasture the other day and suddenly saw a cow about two feet away slowly but aggressively coming my way, head lowered and snorting. Did my best imitation of a jack rabbit.

Seems that my neighbor's Blue Healer was walking on the other side of me from the cow. I think the cow was totally blind to the fact that I was between her and her target. Dog followed me but the cow lost interest when we got out of her space.

Moral of the story. Dogs can get you in a heap of trouble during calving season. Other small animals (such as children) can draw a good momma cow's attention as well.

Good Morning America!!

Jay

J-CCCC":4ek23v12 said:
Other small animals (such as children) can draw a good momma cow's attention as well.
That's a good reminder with the little ones. It is too easy to get involved with what you are doing and forget the kids are following right behind you. I have left my kids crying at the fence because I won't let them in with me to see the new calf or new bull. No amount of carrying on is going to get them in there. They are taught from the very beginning that they are not allowed in some parts of the farm.

Farmhand":2xsmxdhf said:
J-CCCC":2xsmxdhf said:
Other small animals (such as children) can draw a good momma cow's attention as well.
That's a good reminder with the little ones. It is too easy to get involved with what you are doing and forget the kids are following right behind you. I have left my kids crying at the fence because I won't let them in with me to see the new calf or new bull. No amount of carrying on is going to get them in there. They are taught from the very beginning that they are not allowed in some parts of the farm.

We had to take a cow to the sale barn last year because when she saw my 8 year old son she would go crazy. He knew to stay away from her, but one day he was inside the yard but by a fence to a pasture and the limi cow came at a full speed run at him like she was going to go right through the fence to get him. I could be around her with little problem, but when kids got around she had blood in her eyes.

Glad to hear you got rid of her. No one needs a problem like that. That trait seems to get passed on to her calves too. Disposition is a major factor on whether an animal stays or goes. Good Job.

Latest posts