We all should pay attention-Bull tramples farmer to death

Help Support CattleToday:

There are also some folks around who are crippled for life. Always be warry. Always have a plan and assume the worst. It doesn't have to be a bull. A little ole yearling can do some serious damage too.

At the same time, I don't want in the pen with a wild eyed snorting critter. I like mine a bit domesticated.

I'm always careful with the bulls. With all that testosterone going through them you just never know what they'll do, especially if you get between them and a cow. Caustic's post made me think though, out all the articles I've read about a bull stomping their owner to death (not that I read many really)- none have been show bulls. At least none of the articles state that they are and they probably would say so. Are show bulls less like to kill their owners statistically?

It aint difficult to understand why the bull attacked he's a animal. he dont think like humans . which sometimes is a good thing ;-) like bull riders you see get hurt hell strapped to a ton of :devil2: what do you expect

Real mean bulls, you know those bad boys that will come hunt you down are probably less likely to kill their owners. That is because a person gives them the respect that you should give every bull. It is that average bull that has never bothered anyone that will get you. A person doesn't just walk into a pen with a bad bull and turn his or her back but they will do it with an average bull.
Dave

Dave":37gn9tqk said:
Real mean bulls, you know those bad boys that will come hunt you down are probably less likely to kill their owners. That is because a person gives them the respect that you should give every bull. It is that average bull that has never bothered anyone that will get you. A person doesn't just walk into a pen with a bad bull and turn his or her back but they will do it with an average bull.
Dave

Unless you are me. It came from being told at 2 years old, "Never, ever turn your back on the bull!". I grew up with a healthy fear and still have it. :lol:

I have one of those dumb newbie questions but it might save someone's (mine) life. Everyone advises not to turn your back to a bull. Is this because he's less likely to attack if you're facing him or just so that you can see what he's up to and get out of the way? I try never to turn my back to any of my cattle, but when they're all around it gets hard to do. I also try to look around and notice the nearest fence, hay ring, tree, or whatever just in case I have to scramble.

I am sorry to read that. I do not know the family. I am a little bit south. Too close to home. It makes no difference.

Hasbeen":113bfk54 said:
I have one of those dumb newbie questions but it might save someone's (mine) life. Everyone advises not to turn your back to a bull. Is this because he's less likely to attack if you're facing him or just so that you can see what he's up to and get out of the way?

Maybe a little bit of both, but certainly the latter. You want to know if he's got a bad attitude and bringing it your direction. Better to see it coming and have a chance to move, than to realize it when he's blowing snot down your neck.

Don't believe that I'll show this article to the son-in-law. He's still a bit jumpy from our last bull, a real sweetheart but keep a post hole digger handle (2) by the barn door. Will take him bull shopping this spring and see if he bonds to one. Dmc

Doesn;t have to be a bull or yearling or cow with calf or any of the more or less predictable things. Being in the wrong place at the right time when a heel fly gets one or they all decide for no apparant reason that htey want to be on the other side of wherever you're standing................
As the doctor explained to me one day, no matter the size they're a lot tougher and stronger then you even if you are a tough old cob

dun

Wonder what breed of bull this was? Many family dairies left in Indiana? I grew up around Holstiens, carried a pellet gun and had 2 good cow dogs. Still didn't go into the pen with the bull unless I had to.

Alan

Found a little more info. It was a dairy farm, so likely a dairy bull. Mean SOBs.

Really got my attention because we were trying to sort a cow away from our bull yesterday because she was in labor. He's pretty docile, but when I put a gate between him and his favorite cow, I got "the look" and a facefull of bull breath. Glad I was on the back side of the gate.

If you aren't watching them, you won't see the signs that they are PO'd.

Around Christmas a guy in this area was killed by his bull. Apparently it had given him some trouble before so he took a gun out with him, but the bull was quicker to the draw I guess.

Latest posts