Waygu question

Help Support CattleToday:

We need to put some Texas in those waygu, make them blocks... If they can turn sims into angus look alikes and make herefords black, then why not turn a waygu into something you can sink your teeth into...

The problem with not finding someone to buy these out where i am beforehand are for these reason.....Non cow people think that all you get are steaks out of a whole animal. Not many city people want 500 pounds of meat all at once nor do they have a place for it. We've come across this problem by selling to friends, lease hunters, unless you are use to having a whole beef in the freezer they have no idea what to do with it. Its the only way i've ever had beef and feeding a family of 6, we found that we ate way more burger than anything else. And any time someone wanted some of our stash, they wanted steaks. If you arent careful, they will go fast, then you're left with just roast and burger for a year.
I'm guessing you'd have to find a specially butcher shop or get in with a grocery chain.
Whitecow, please tell us how you do it.

cowgirl8":3vi1s646 said:
The problem with not finding someone to buy these out where i am beforehand are for these reason.....Non cow people think that all you get are steaks out of a whole animal. Not many city people want 500 pounds of meat all at once nor do they have a place for it. We've come across this problem by selling to friends, lease hunters, unless you are use to having a whole beef in the freezer they have no idea what to do with it. Its the only way i've ever had beef and feeding a family of 6, we found that we ate way more burger than anything else. And any time someone wanted some of our stash, they wanted steaks. If you arent careful, they will go fast, then you're left with just roast and burger for a year.
I'm guessing you'd have to find a specially butcher shop or get in with a grocery chain.
Whitecow, please tell us how you do it.

You are exactly right. The steaks are easy to sell...at almost any price. If you don't have a plan, you can end up with a lot of ground beef left over. We have worked (and still working) to find some outlets for the ground beef. We sell some wholesale to a couple of restaurants and a food truck. We sell some steaks that way also, but I can get a higher price for steaks selling directly to consumers out of our freezer. I'll usually give away some ground beef to new steak customers with their first couple of purchases. Most of them start adding ground onto their orders before long. Our retail price for ground beef is just a little above grocery store prices...just about break even for us. The prices of the steaks take care of the profit. We've learned to adjust our cutting instructions based on our inventory. Most of our calves are processed into just the high dollar steaks and ground beef. We keep a supply of round steaks, roasts, etc. but we only get those from every 3rd or 4th calf.

If you are going to try to sell beef, you gotta have a plan and figure how to adjust to the market.

That is true, Black Wagyu(Tajima) produces more intramuscular Fat than the Red Wagyu(Akaushi).

Here is a Red Brahman/Akaushi F1 Cross Red Bragyu
http://www.engormix.com/MA-ganaderia-carne/fotos/carnes-wagyu-puro-y-f1s-ph37568/p0.htm

And pure Akaushi from heartbrand
https://heartbrandbeef.com/product/ribeye/

I've been told that Red Brahman/Jersey cross heifers can also produce good marbling and Jersey are not even selected for that trait(Marbling) but for it's milking ability, I wonder if Jersey were specifically bred for marbling ability, it's not like they need to look better than the sorry looking black wagyu, infact they have kind of similar looks, small birth weights(Heifer bulls), not much meat but according to many studies they(jerseys) marble better than any other breed except wagyu.

gaurus":gxqp6yet said:
That is true, Black Wagyu(Tajima) produces more intramuscular Fat than the Red Wagyu(Akaushi).
Here is a Brahman/Akaushi
http://www.engormix.com/MA-ganaderia-carne/fotos/carnes-wagyu-puro-y-f1s-ph37568/p0.htm

And pure Akaushi from heartbrand
https://heartbrandbeef.com/product/ribeye/

I've been told that Red Brahman/Jersey cross heifers can also produce good marbling and Jersey are not even selected for that trait(Marbling) but for it's milking ability, I wonder if Jersey were specifically bred for marbling ability, it's not like they need to look better than the sorry looking black wagyu, infact they have kind of similar looks, small birth weights(Heifer bulls), not much meat but according to many studies they(jerseys) marble better than any other breed except wagyu.

You are right about jersey marbling well. So do Holsteins. In fact, a large percentage of the Wagyu-labeled beef sold in U.S. is Wagyu x dairy. That cross probably produces better marbling than Wag x Angus, just not a lot of muscle.

Red Wagyu/Akaushi are better looking animals than Black Wagyu for sure. But they just don't marble as highly or consistently as the blacks. If you use reds, selling the calves back to Heartbrand is a good option. They know how to feed them and have a good product.

do the wagyu jersey cross still have yellow fat like regular jersey. that is a hard sell to some people. they think the meat has gone bad or something

whitecow":3pekz8ia said:
You are right about jersey marbling well. So do Holsteins. In fact, a large percentage of the Wagyu-labeled beef sold in U.S. is Wagyu x dairy. That cross probably produces better marbling than Wag x Angus, just not a lot of muscle.

Red Wagyu/Akaushi are better looking animals than Black Wagyu for sure. But they just don't marble as highly or consistently as the blacks. If you use reds, selling the calves back to Heartbrand is a good option. They know how to feed them and have a good product.

Some sources say that Akaushi Wagyu have substantial Simmental cross and that added the extra muscles and I wonder if one breeds for beefier Jerseys/Holstein one would lose marbling ability, marbling can't be linked to milking as Wagyu are poor milkers and marble well, I know marbling is antagonist to muscling, but Akaushi and Angus strike a very good balance.

tja477t":341p6b95 said:
do the wagyu jersey cross still have yellow fat like regular jersey. that is a hard sell to some people. they think the meat has gone bad or something
Yellow fat is actually a healthier Fat as it has a lot of beta carotene, the yellow fat is mostly do to grass only feeding on Jerseys, with a grain only finishing the terminal cross will have white fat instead.

jerry27150":1fr2vpfr said:
may want to check into it more. last I knew japs would provide waygu bulls for anyone that would raise beef for their market

No Wagyu genetics have left Japan since the 90's.

Very good info, thanks for that.
whitecow":1slw3kgd said:
My family has been raising Charolais cattle for over 40 years. About 8 yrs ago we started breeding our Char heifers to Wagyu bulls. The beef from those F1s was the best I had ever tasted. So, I bought some fullblood Wagyu. Now we have about 120 fullblood Wagyu, a bunch of Wag x Char cross and about 200 Char. We put Fullblood Wagyu embryos in all of our Char heifers and clean them up with a Wagyu bull. Absolutely zero calving problems.

My advice would be to breed your heifers to Wagyu to see if you like it. As others have said, you will take a hit on weaning weights but the Wagyu will vastly improve the quality of the carcass. We have harvested dozens of Wag x Char steers and every one has graded prime and better.

You could check with these guys in Florida...they might buy your calves:
http://jackmanwagyubeef.com/
http://www.artisanwagyu.com/

Really interesting on the wagyu breed. I may try a few crosses on my jerseys to see how the beef tastes. I only eat jersey beef and love the taste and often supply the ground beef @ some of the get togethers so that people know how it tastes. I don't find the jerseys have very yellow fat, and we are 99% grass fed with only a little grain to keep the animals coming in. The guernseys have the real yellow fat as their milk also has the real golden color if grass fed. It is the beta-carotene and it is healthier for you. People who have only eaten conventional beef don't like or understand the yellow fat.

I had a 1/2 Angus x 1/2Waygu the last two seasons along with other bulls. Last years calves sold fine, but what didn't last year. I haven't sold any of this years calves and a few are getting pretty good size. They are alittle bit to framey for me, but the buyers seem to like a good framed calf around here.
Mine had small scurfs,(horns) so if you have any cattle that have horns also, like beefmaster influence like I do, you will have horned calves....with straight angus cows you may not have any.
I sold the bull, cause I don't want horns, and I want a little bit fleshier calf.
I have not butcherd one yet but intend to by the end of the year....they will be 1/4 waygu. I have heard they are real tender.

farmerjan":2ih73v9j said:
The guernseys have the real yellow fat as their milk also has the real golden color if grass fed. It is the beta-carotene and it is healthier for you. People who have only eaten conventional beef don't like or understand the yellow fat.
Thank you for sharing your experience with us, I hear the "Golden Milk" from Guernseys in Japan is quite popular, Guernsey are the third most marbling breed of cattle according to some studies(Wagyu,Jerseys,Guernseys,Angus in that order). :cboy:

Would be real nice to compared Tajima/Jersey cross with pure Tajima and akaushi raised in the U.S.A under average feedlot, because the ones in Japan are pampered beyond belief(massaged with sake and drink Beer) which will increase intramuscular fat deposition

You would absolutely have to get a buyer lined up to sell to in order to make it worth your while. Cow type would be an issue, since they more than likely won't grade well enough to get the higher premiums. We've been using Wagyu semen to AI heifers for some of our customers, and have really been thinking about doing it ourselves and cleaning up with a Wagyu bull. If you wanted to invest a few years into breeding up some percentage Wagyu to sell freezer beef, that would be an option. The one downside is that you'd have to deal with...people! The higher quality Wagyu are actually nice looking animals. They look a lot like a cross between a Corriente and an Angus. Fwiw, I've always heard that the reds were more sought after and had the more desirable fat profile.

farmerjan":472duhu8 said:
Really interesting on the wagyu breed. I may try a few crosses on my jerseys to see how the beef tastes. I only eat jersey beef and love the taste and often supply the ground beef @ some of the get togethers so that people know how it tastes. I don't find the jerseys have very yellow fat, and we are 99% grass fed with only a little grain to keep the animals coming in. The guernseys have the real yellow fat as their milk also has the real golden color if grass fed. It is the beta-carotene and it is healthier for you. People who have only eaten conventional beef don't like or understand the yellow fat.
Wagyu is more dairy like or dairy based in origin from what I have read so you would not do a whole lot of good to breed to a Jersey. Better cross on Jersey already has marbling ability would be something to increase grade or size. Could use Holstein and still have heifers to milk or sell as milk cows while steers would have more growth. Any beef sire with more muscling than a Jersey would improve carcass yields.

Wasn't there a lawsuit a few years ago regarding a previous sale of Waygu bulls to someone that announced they were going to use them in a crossbreeding program? I read about it, but have forgotten who the 2 parties were that was involved. If I remember correctly, (and may be wrong) the seller didn't know the buyer's plans at time of sale, and sued to get the bulls back when the cross breeding plan became public--and won.

Latest posts