water is freezing

Help Support CattleToday:

eatbeef

Reaction score
Getting cold up here in the north. Do any of you know anything about propane tank heaters or bubblers? do they work and where can I buy one and how much water will they keep open? Thanks

Yeah, it is - didn't get above freezing today. We used to have tank heaters way back when, but now we just do it the old fashioned way......axe and pitchfork.

Have used Ideal or Trojan heaters since forever. Not really much other choice since the last of my Cowboy heaters gave out. Tried a couple of homemade ones, but never found a design I liked. They work well, only drawback other than LP is high now is in a bad snow storm if they are out in the open, snow will blow in and put the pilot out. If you can cover part of the top of the tank they run a lot cheaper. I also fill 100 lb. cylinders out of the bulk tank. It only takes a few fittings and a hose to do but will save you a lot of money on LP.

Yeah, Stutzman Feed Mill in Arthur Illinois is the only place I have seen that sells them. I have used the trojan in small and medium sized tanks in that part of the country, and I really liked them.

We use electric and have had no trouble, get a few years out of them...the cost is worth giving the cows a warm drink...hate to burn up groceries warming an animal from a cold drink. DMc

eatbeef":2mimfyze said:
hey chuck, (and anyone else) How long does 100lb of propane last in cold weather?
It's hard to say. It depends on the weather, how exposed the tank is and how high you turn the thermostat up. Especially if the top of the tank is all open, that heat rising thing will hurt you on gas. Covering part of the surface with plywood and styrofoam or something makes a big difference I think. Most of the burners on the newer ones are 14-15000 btu's, so if it ran all the time a gallon would run about six hours, give or take. There's about 20 gallons of liquid in a full tank, so given that, about 5 days. Hmm. Guess I need to pay more attention.

Down here in Indiana I use a LP heater and the water is always steamy just leaving it on setting one...up there its probably a lot colder so it wouldnt be as efficient. I really like them I used electric one winter it was horrible barely kept the spot where it was thoughed out that was in 100 gallon tank then i switch to 300 gallon tank and LP and I LOVE it.

Latest posts