Wasted time #2

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie

Reaction score
You're ten minutes late to a meeting of just 20 people. You just wasted 200 minutes. If you open your mouth because you missed the background, you just wasted more.

If it takes you 20 minutes to reach consensus at that meeting because you were not prepared for it, you just wasted another 400 minutes.

If you cannot make a desicision, or a decision cannot be made because you cannot properly provide the information and facts, the entire meeting may have to be rescheduled and key players may have to send representatives.

After the meeting the V.P. may come up to you and tell you to work on a contingency in case the plan does not work. You think about that at home and on the weekends without compensation for your planning. The thoughts of everyone in that room had best be burned into your memory, because you may have to get their consensus on the contingency.

If you are good at this sort of thing, you are always the one who has to go to the meetings for your department. You also have to get your "normal work" done.

You are a professional and get called in on weekends to resolve issues without pay. Others in the department never get called but they worry about what you are doing during the day.

If you are texting during any meeting, you are disrespecting everyone in that meeting.

If you call me over to help you out and answer your phone while I am in your cube or office, I don't have time for it.

If I give you the specific info you need to get something resolved but you can't remember what the info was, you sure don't think much of me if I have to save your tail with my time again.

People who have had your back for 25 years will always have your back. Drop what you are doing and bail them out when they are in a pinch.

The bosses that you make look like geniuses will climb the corporate ladder. They'll never forget you and offer you jobs with other corps as they move. Don't compete with your peers. Make them look good.

People who sweat the small stuff will always be right there in the same position sweating small stuff.

Where you go in life is where you put yourself. Ten years from now you'll be ten years older. Your peer who knows he can trust you may be your V.P. because you don't want to be anything like that. All you want to do is enjoy life and raise a few head of cattle.

Boggie..are you saying you've created a lot of VP's and bosses at your own expense?? Maybe I need to go and read it again.

No TB. It doesn't cost anything. If they don't have what it takes, they won't make it.

Stand behind your peers and bosses. Build them up and don't tear them down. Be someone they can count on.

..........."The bosses that you make look like geniuses will climb the corporate ladder. They'll never forget you..........."

Dreamer !! Maybe 30 or 40 years ago, but not lately........... :cry2:

Jim62":3n4af4em said:
..........."The bosses that you make look like geniuses will climb the corporate ladder. They'll never forget you..........."

A lot of'em out there these days will use their mother for a stepping stone if necessary as well as anybody else that is stupid enough to "be used".

TexasBred":36tx1253 said:
Jim62":36tx1253 said:

A lot of'em out there these days will use their mother for a stepping stone if necessary as well as anybody else that is stupid enough to "be used".

The sword has two edges.

backhoeboogie":1pi7hj7s said:
TexasBred":1pi7hj7s said:
Jim62":1pi7hj7s said:

The sword has two edges.

In other words "allow yourself to be abused in hopes of someday becoming the abuser"??? I think not !!!!

Naw. When it comes to people stepping on other people to climb the ladder, what goes around comes around.

backhoeboogie":13iql4zl said:
Naw. When it comes to people stepping on other people to climb the ladder, what goes around comes around.

Wish that was always the case...but more and more, it really doesn't seem to be.

Alice

Keep fighting the Corporate ladder and you will find that you have no ladder to climb.
You do not have to like it or agree with it but you darn sure better act like you do. Nobody likes competition and they will try and get rid of it when ever possible.

novatech":1ruqalv7 said:
Keep fighting the Corporate ladder and you will find that you have no ladder to climb.
You do not have to like it or agree with it but you darn sure better act like you do. Nobody likes competition and they will try and get rid of it when ever possible.

Sure you have to remember that the boss is not always right but he is always the boss..... but IF you are that much more capable than your peers it will show and you will be noticed and rewarded. If not go somewhere else where you can get what you deserve. "Real Employers" are looking for the "uncommon" rather than the "but kisser". Read the book by Tony Dungy, former coach of the Indianapolis Colts...."The Uncommon"..... A great read.

I just keep my head down and do what I'm told. Tardiness is not tolerated where I work. Beyond that if you keep your butt out of trouble and get the job done in a timely manner without getting hurt no one is going to bother you.

Walt

TexasBred":3ejldkc1 said:
novatech":3ejldkc1 said:

Sure you have to remember that the boss is not always right but he is always the boss..... but IF you are that much more capable than your peers it will show and you will be noticed and rewarded. If not go somewhere else where you can get what you deserve. "Real Employers" are looking for the "uncommon" rather than the "but kisser". Read the book by Tony Dungy, former coach of the Indianapolis Colts...."The Uncommon"..... A great read.
There is no way anyone could cover each and every scenario on these boards. I am not talking about sucking up. There are ways to work around obstacles without getting your butt fired because your immediate boss is in your way or fears you. The people that kill themselves want to argue about a penny when they could gain a hundred by keeping their mouth shut. I could not count the number of times I have apologized or agreed with customers when they were flat wrong. There have been those that take advantage then they are in for a fight. So I guess what I am saying is that I have a new boss every day that I have to figure out how to deal with. Each and every one has to be dealt with accordingly.
When you cannot deal with them, I agree with you, take your losses and go elsewhere.

I could not count the number of times I have apologized or agreed with customers when they were flat wrong. There have been those that take advantage then they are in for a fight. So I guess what I am saying is that I have a new boss every day that I have to figure out how to deal with. Each and every one has to be dealt with accordingly.

I definitely agree with this. No harm done in letting someone "think" they're winning... especially if you have accomplished what wanted in the end. Some psychology is always helpful. ;-)

TexasBred":26m34m8d said:
Some psychology is always helpful. ;-)

You're both right :D

Everyone has tried to lead a bunch of cows into a pen they did not want to go in.

Try leading a bunch of people who don't want to follow you. Much harder than cows. People communicate amongst themselves much better too.

Hey Boogie..have you ever parked a cattle trailer angled up against a fence, then pushed the cows down the fenceline to the trailer and watched them jump in? They see the opening in the back of the trailer and think they've found an escape....(sounds like something a cattle rustler might do) but works. :lol:

No TB. Aint never tried that one. I did rope one once and used "reverse psychology" to get it into the pen and then into the trailer. It wasn't hard. Just pull the rope the opposite direction from the way you want him to go and he'll drag you right into the pen. Once he was loaded, it was time for someone else to try to reason with him.

backhoeboogie":2as5s936 said:
No TB. Aint never tried that one. I did rope one once and used "reverse psychology" to get it into the pen and then into the trailer. It wasn't hard. Just pull the rope the opposite direction from the way you want him to go and he'll drag you right into the pen. Once he was loaded, it was time for someone else to try to reason with him.

hahaha...I think that's what my wife did to me.

backhoeboogie":3e93663m said:
You are a professional and get called in on weekends to resolve issues without pay. Others in the department never get called but they worry about what you are doing during the day.

You are a bag licker or a scab.

AngusLimoX":18annaaz said:
backhoeboogie":18annaaz said:

You are a bag licker or a scab.

:D You should be able to do better than that. It is funny tho.

If your cows get out, do you tell neighbors they'll have to wait until Monday when you are back "on the clock?"

My peers would laugh you out of the complex on the bag licker part. Salaried and management positions don't qualify for the bargaining unit. The bargaining unit folks are the ones who generally want me to come in on the weekend and cover their backsides.

Latest posts