Want to start a registered brahman herd...any advice?

Help Support CattleToday:

ETJ IV

Reaction score
My wife and I live on my family's ranch in Central Texas and we wanted to start a registered brahman herd. We like the way they look and we think since we are starting out we would like to buy some nice registered brahmans and then go from there in expanding our herd. Brahmans can also be very docile and that is also important to us and we were told registered brahmans can be sold for a pretty high dollar because there F-1 crosses are so popular. What is the best way for us to get started?

1st off welcome to CT.brimmers have a mind of their own,you have to handle them easy.i run reg beefmasters i handle them quietly an gently.if you want to raise them you must find some reg breeders with cattle for sale,an know that they wont come cheap.talk to the breeder about his cattle an program.

You might want to subscribe to the Gulf Coast Cattleman magazine. Besides being an excellent source of information it will have lots of auction ads in it and it would probably be wise to attend one to see how everything works and the prices that some of these animals go for. The subscription is free. Be wary, not all Brahmas are docile and some are down right mean when they have a calf and they can jump a five foot fence and never touch a wire.
Good luck.

I would start with some older proven bred cows. The reason is that when you buy those pretty heifers you have no idea what kind of cow you will end up with. Secondly they are more apt to be excitable, especially when transferring ownership and location. When buying I would insist on looking at all their cattle. You will get a good idea as to what type of genetics you will be acquiring. Be especially observant of udders and tit problems. You want to pay particular attention of calving records. Fertility was once an issue. Buy cattle that have a record of a calf per year.
With the drought it may be a good time to buy if you have grass or access to cheap hay.
If you want some contacts PM me.

If you have handled brimmers before, more power to you. If your new to cattle ranching, this is not the breed to learn with. :tiphat:

From my experience with "Brahmers" I offer you this advice - Build 7' tall 10,000 volt indestructible fences, & maintain a good relationship with your neighbors as they will be taking care of your cattle about as much as you will - Add an 8' high rail around your holding pen - Put a top on your alley way - Weld bars on the top of your squeeze chute - When it's calving season either totally forget about tagging calves or invest in a rodeo flak jacket, helmet, gloves, shin guards, and maybe even a nut cup - Keep your will & life insurance up to date.

I must have had some really strange Brahman through the years. I've never had these problems.

They can be led anywhere. Try to herd them and you're in trouble. If someone comes in whooping and wanting to play cowboy, you're in trouble.

backhoeboogie":200yhwr0 said:
I must have had some really strange Brahman through the years. I've never had these problems.

They can be led anywhere. Try to herd them and you're in trouble. If someone comes in whooping and wanting to play cowboy, you're in trouble.

I am with you gentle as a dog to their owner, don't do well when strage armpits show up.
Now those High Island girls that only seen a human once or twice a year were a different story.
I used to love to go to the Winne salebarn and see the show when they came through now that was some rank cattle.

Hey guys, I was just funnin - However I have had a few brown ladies and some Brangus sisters that were as tough as nails and downright dangerous to be around - They earned the right to stay on my farm by being fertile, always calving with no problem, protecting their calf to the death if necessary, maintaining bcs & weaning a high percentage - Just took 3 of is to tag their calves.

backhoeboogie":1ib359le said:

This is all true. :D they dont take kindly to being cowboyed.

I just started my registered polled brahman herd.
I dont see a big problem with getting heifers if you get them from a very well known breeder and you ask around on bloodlines and learn what to look for in a brahman. Dinah weils at Hk cattle( Rosharon Texas) is an excellent person to talk to she can help you with pedigree questions and tell you if the cow or heifer you want to buy is good or not.

The advantage of buying heifers is they are younger and it will be easier for them to get use to you. MAKE SURE THAT THEY ARE GENTLE!!!!
I can take a nap on half of my brahman heifers or can walk around them without them running away or at me. Nothing wrong with buying older cows either but it may take longer for them to adjust to you.

Handle your brahman with kindness and they will return it. If you are mean to your brahman all HE]] will break loose.
It is about quality not quantity. Dont by a cheap heifer unless you are sure she is good!!! I wouldnt pay less then $1500 for a brahman anything else I would be curious why it is for sale for so cheap. BUt good quality brahman will cost you $2500 and up.

If you go to a ranch look at their cows as stated above and also look at young heifers that the ranch is raising to go back into the herd. Ask lots of questions like why is this particular heifer being kept what makes her special etc.

Things to look for in brahman.
1. Hump placement. Himp should be centered betweek the shoulders.
2. Make sure the animal has good feet.
3. You want a thick heavy boned medium to large frame brahman. Dnt buy scrawny brahman.
4. MOST IMPORTANTLY MUST HAVE A GOOD DISPOSTION.

I saw a vid and guy had a good point in selecting brahman. HE said if he can not get into the pen with that cow at the ranch he wants to buy from and he cannot touch her he does not get her. I can not touch all of my brahman but none are ever aggressive.

When you are working the cattle( vaccinating, weighing calves, deworming etc..), do it quickly. The longer you have them penned or are doing something to their calves the more agitated the brahman cow will get.
Brahman are some of the sweetest cattle when handled properly. I am in highschool and I handle my brahman by myself.
I dont have 6ft fences, electric strands of wire.

Are you interested in red or grey brahman? PM me and I could tell you the names of some breeders that are good people to deal with.

BRAFORDMAN":y850iw99 said:
I just started my registered polled brahman herd.
I dont see a big problem with getting heifers if you get them from a very well known breeder and you ask around on bloodlines and learn what to look for in a brahman. Dinah weils at Hk cattle( Rosharon Texas) is an excellent person to talk to she can help you with pedigree questions and tell you if the cow or heifer you want to buy is good or not.

The advantage of buying heifers is they are younger and it will be easier for them to get use to you. MAKE SURE THAT THEY ARE GENTLE!!!!
I can take a nap on half of my brahman heifers or can walk around them without them running away or at me. Nothing wrong with buying older cows either but it may take longer for them to adjust to you.

Handle your brahman with kindness and they will return it. If you are mean to your brahman all HE]] will break loose.
It is about quality not quantity. Dont by a cheap heifer unless you are sure she is good!!! I wouldnt pay less then $1500 for a brahman anything else I would be curious why it is for sale for so cheap. BUt good quality brahman will cost you $2500 and up.

If you go to a ranch look at their cows as stated above and also look at young heifers that the ranch is raising to go back into the herd. Ask lots of questions like why is this particular heifer being kept what makes her special etc.

Things to look for in brahman.
1. Hump placement. Himp should be centered betweek the shoulders.
2. Make sure the animal has good feet.
3. You want a thick heavy boned medium to large frame brahman. Dnt buy scrawny brahman.
4. MOST IMPORTANTLY MUST HAVE A GOOD DISPOSTION.

I saw a vid and guy had a good point in selecting brahman. HE said if he can not get into the pen with that cow at the ranch he wants to buy from and he cannot touch her he does not get her. I can not touch all of my brahman but none are ever aggressive.

When you are working the cattle( vaccinating, weighing calves, deworming etc..), do it quickly. The longer you have them penned or are doing something to their calves the more agitated the brahman cow will get.
Brahman are some of the sweetest cattle when handled properly. I am in highschool and I handle my brahman by myself.
I dont have 6ft fences, electric strands of wire.

Are you interested in red or grey brahman? PM me and I could tell you the names of some breeders that are good people to deal with.

All well in good you still need stud horse stout pens. One Brimmer gets worked up they are all worked, I messed with them for to many years. I love the breed they can eat barb wire, briars and raise a calf. They can also fight you, out of the blue, something didn't go right in there little mind. I have seen them get worked up over the darndest things.