Want to Raise Bottle Calves

Help Support CattleToday:

cabbies31

Reaction score
I want to start raising bottle calves and selling them when they are about 6-8 months, for extra income. Any ideas on the best way to get started?

cabbies31":2izm2ler said:
I want to start raising bottle calves and selling them when they are about 6-8 months, for extra income. Any ideas on the best way to get started?

Step #1 - take out a loan.
Step #2 - buy some bottle babies.
Step #4 - feed and raise bottle babies.
Step #5 - vaccinate/worm bottle babies.
Step #6 - sell bottle babies.
Step #7 - take out loan to pay for step #1. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding cabbies31. There is a lot to consider when starting into something like this. It's not all that simple a question to answer as slow as I type. There are some pretty knowledgeable people here in your neck of the woods that may pipe in any soon moment but in the mean time do a search here and you will see this has been asked and answered several times.

Bottle babies are prone to dying easily...just so ya know that. so start small till you got lots an lotsa experience.

Plus if the market turns bad after you just spwnt big bucks on them........you lose big time. :cboy:

About how many are you wanting to start with. I can tell you one thing you should have lots of extra time. Buy the way that milk replacer you mix up will cost a lot. I think the last time we got some it was $24.00 for a 25lb bag.
Greenwillows wife

You would probably be time, money, and energy ahead if you just purchased some 300 to 400 lb calves that were already on solid food and growing them until they were larger enough to sell. IMO raising bottle calves is about as effort/$$ intensive as trying to raise one or more dairy cows.

If you get in to them, be ready to suffer heavy casualties. it can be hit or miss, I would take Running Arrow's advice and buy yourself some calves already started. At least you know that they have a good chance at living. The Calves you'll find at the sale barn have also been exposed to just about anything.

cabbies31":2aw43e3j said:

Make sure ya be able ta vaccinate, castrate, and doctor a bit before ya get any bottlers.Get all the supplies ya be needin ta do it with. It cost me 5$ to shoot 10 calves for the blackleg meself. If ya gotta be callin the vet in ta do it, ya be payin alot more. Same with everythin else. If ya cant do these things, the vet eats up ya profit quick.

george

I think you could possibly break even when you get your system down. Don't plan on making big money on it though. If you count your labor you definitely won't come out.

It is a very dangerous time to buy baby calves to bottle feed and sell in 6-8 months. First of all, calves are way too high---you will pay from 175-300 for babies. It is the hot summertime and that is the worst time to try to raise babies on the bottle. If you are going to sell in 6-8 months, that puts you in the december area and that is generally the cheapest month to sell that size calves. all of those things spell a tough time to break even and you could lose a bundle. Good luck with whatever decision you make.

We had a calf that was born 4 weeks early and died a few months ago. We went to our local dairy and purchased a dairy calf for $100.00 to put on the momma cow. I would say the price of the calf depends on where you live and where you buy them.
Greenwillows wife

Raising bottle fed calves is something of an art more than a science. I've noticed that bottled calves never seem to truly grow as large as they could (not to say that they don't turn into nice animals and good mothers), so that could hurt your profit margin a bit. Plus, keeping the calves alive long enough to resell as a feeder can be tricky. All in all, if you're new to cattle in general than consider only starting with one or two and brace for anything.

As for some advice, you might want to ask around at a local dairy for bull/steer calves. That would probably be the easiest way to get going. The calf will need two bottles of milk mix a day and plenty of attention. Always remember that cattle are herd animals, and once the calf accepts that you're its meal ticket you get an added title to your name: Mommy. ;-)

Find yourself a good dairy and a good dairy farmer. Dairy calves are easier to get.Read these boards.Get good strong calves about 4 days old if possible. Get the good milk replacer don't skimp on the price. You get what you pay for. If they sell it cheap, they know what its worth. You can make money on bottle calves if you can get them cheap enough. Watch them closely. Any change in them needs to be addressed quickly. You can get the answers you need here. Not being able to physically see the calf will result in a varied opinion of the ailment. But the folks here will usually agree with what the problem is and how to fix it. You will lose one once in a while but don't be afraid to try. Start off with two or three and see how it goes. You will be surprised to know how much two calves will teach you.

I just started with bottle calves. We started with tooooooooooo many. I didn't know a thing but got schooled
real quick. I am learning by reading this board. We have had a lot of troubles and just when I think we turned the corner a couple have spiked a temp. So go for it but start small

Libby

Thank you all for your replies. I live in a dairy community. I have 7 large dairies on my road alone. So getting some help is not a problem. I have helped(just feeding) out on 3 calves before, not much hands on though. I am planning on starting out small just 2 to 3 at first, thats all, until I get my system right. I quess my biggest question is on the vaccinations, that is where I am at a loss. We have a lot of calves that are dumped on the side of the road here.And yes, they are dropped alive. Just unwanted. My goal is that people will stop dumping them and bring them here or call me. I am going to put up a sign. Thank you again for all your information.

Wow - people dumping money on the side of the road. Suspect that is really unusual.

Look - 7 large dairies produces a lot of calves. Suspect the help from them - if that is where you think it might come from - will be scarce.

You want to start by visiting your vet and asking for the "needle" regime you need to get them on. Then price out all your equipment and feed costs. Then plan on lots of deads - plus disposal costs. Can't feed them all to the coyotes.

get your facilities in order - lots of work there - and cost. Be ready before you bring 'em on board.

Then you need to visit your dairies and tell them you are in the market - they can contact you directly for pick up.

If you think those that are throwing the calves away are about to come up your drive you might be in for a disappointment - unless they come up looking for money.

Sounding negative, but ....

This is a tough game - hope you have a fairly large wallet.

Bez

Dear Bez, I haven't thought of calling the vet for info. Thanks I will do that. As far as most of the dairies around here most of them do not raise their calves, they go to the local sale barn. I am not trying to compete with the dairies around here anyways. Some of the older farmers are pretty tight lipped, but I have a couple of the farmers support in what I am trying to get started.

I think if I do this right, and do my research first(which is what I am doing) I will not lose out. I expect their will be some deaths but isn't that with anything???

have a friend that raises 2-300 at a time for the veal market & always makes a good living. you will learn just like every one else in the cattle market. any business you start will take time to learn the ins & outs & learn how to make profits.

good luck

Just a word of encouragement. I just started and we did lose some and that was due to lack of knowledge but I learned and will use it in the future. We didn't do research like you are and we should have. You will do great. Our calves are 4 weeks old on this Friday and they are really starting to look nice, filling out and eating grain. We are going to take a milk feeding away from the best eaters and see what happens. The best way to learn is from trial and error. Good luck. This is a great place to learn.

Libby

raising bottle babies is a very difficult task... it takes a lot out a person...ies out of thier wallet out of there freetime... out of there work time.... out of there stress freetime... its a lot of work, especially when it is touch and go with so many of them you dont know if they are going to make it or not so how do you know wether to put the money into them in the first place.. ive raise probably about 10-15 in my life... thats only because their moma died or they were abandoned or in trouble... i can remember only a few that didn't make it.... but the only reason some went on to live was because in my high school years i had nothing but time and nothin to spend my money on buyt them i remember a few times where i didn't leave the barn for a week or so....

Before you start stop and think of you can really afford to do this not only expense wise but also mentally and physically, and hours in a day X what you have time to spend with them

I have a cow that does not give Milk and I keep it for the kids to bottle feed her calf they like it the milk I buy is about $17.00 for a 25# bag. we feed about 4 to 5 bags depending on calf. it takes alot of time.

Latest posts