Wannabe Cowboys

Help Support CattleToday:

Should people have to take a competency test before owing cattle?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Cattle Girl":17ec4nya said:
Wow, now I'm scared. I was told if you wanted a safe place to ask questions about cattle and the problems that go with that this was a great place. I thought that people who raise cattle were different somehow than regular folks that dwell on computers, TV, cell phones, pagers... That they were a forgiving group that wanted to help their neighbor with his animal problems and in so doing help himself or just give back a bit. I will be the first to admit that I don't know squat about raising cattle...However I'm a nurse and I can tell when an animal is in distress. I love these beasts and how they make me feel. At the end of the day everything feels right if I can just stand and gaze over the fence at them. I'm trying to learn and I want to learn. I felt like this place was part of that process. Is it? or am I just irritating someone?
This is a great place to ask questions. Most people like to watch cattle go about the business of being cattle too. Although I agree one should know the basics before owning any, after that don't be intimidated to ask. Anybody with any animal should know how to feed them and take care of them before owning them. Especially cattle because they're big enough to hurt someone. Don't worry about the guy from Nebraska. He's not here to help anybody. He's just here to have fun annoying people.

I would guess ... that the poster of this subject would not be " a mentor " that alot of you tell everyone to find to learn from close by home! Just a guess as I said!

Oldtimer":w4ip8zru said:
Been around cattle and horses for over 50 years and every day I learn something new. Nothing in the business is set in stone- what will work for some, won't for others. Book learning is geat, but experience you remember.

I have owned cattle since I was sixteen and I'm still learning. Blackpower needs to find a good proctologist and get what ever is bothering him removed. :shock:

Anonymous said:
Roy E. Mosley Jr. said:
BP were u born knowing everthing about cattle? No I think not. U had ta learn. So why wont u give others the same oppertunity! Thats why this board was created so people could learn. Say what u wanna back but thats the truth and the truth hurts so let it burn.

Oppertunity??? Spelling??? Comment on the content, not a typo thats clearly unintentional. Ta learn?? Are you black Home boy?? I just had to axe.
Well whoever the hell u are guest u are a cowart , not man enough ta state who u are. Yes I said ta I knew what I was saying. Yes I am black and I dont appreciate the comment u made either. Me being black has nothing ta do wit me raising cattle. Do u have somthing agianst Blacks!

This is the very reason I got out of the coffee shop political discussions! For every 2-3 intelligent posters who can actually argue a point, you get more than a handful who just hit and run. Come in and attack someone they dont know and then dont even have the knads to register so you can respond to them.

I believe registering might stop a few of these posts, but most guys will just register a bogus name and then flame away. But maybe Macon can get a registered IP address from them, and ban them from posting from the same computer at least!

I just looked at the results of thie "poll", by the way I think it's one of the stupidist subjects/questions I've seen on these boards. I can't believe that so many people want the government involved in one more way in our affairs/business. That's just what we need, a bunch of idiots in Washington getting their fingers in another pie. If you think you're market stinks now, just wait until regulation kicks in.
The original poster must be trying out for Poster Boy for PETA.

dun

blackpower started this discussion

dun":1zm6h32s said:
I just looked at the results of thie "poll", by the way I think it's one of the stupidist subjects/questions I've seen on these boards. I can't believe that so many people want the government involved in one more way in our affairs/business. That's just what we need, a bunch of idiots in Washington getting their fingers in another pie. If you think you're market stinks now, just wait until regulation kicks in.

dun

And your point is...........?

dun

cherokeeruby":2lcvpqgd said:
blackpower started this discussion

dun":2lcvpqgd said:

dun

dun":1i4h2wph said:

dun

Common sense should be the regulator.

Dave":1goqs26r said:
Sorry I don't know of one, it was just a suggestion. Actually I could use one too. I think you have to go to East Africa to find someone more computer illiterate than I am. Well maybe only to Nebraska. I do know how to use spell check.
Dave

Dave":1kmnja7d said:
Sorry I don't know of one, it was just a suggestion. Actually I could use one too. I think you have to go to East Africa to find someone more computer illiterate than I am. Well maybe only to Nebraska. I do know how to use spell check.
Dave

eric":1bq9xuki said:
I think people should take a competency test before becoming parents! That and showing some kind of financial responsibility! Why is it you have to take a test to get a drivers liscense, but anyone can have babies?

Just read this thread and must say I'm really surprised by how even the voting on the poll is.

I imagine what got Blackpower stirred up this time was the recent post be a lady that had a cow that, based on her description, was suffering from trying to deliver a calf with a malpresentation (possibly breech) or maybe was just trying to deliver a very large calf through an impossibly narrow pelvis. She was offered some good advice (i.e. get the vet out there ASAP) and she posted back that she would wait until the next day when a friend of hers, that had raised cattle since she was a little girl, would come to take a look. No doubt that was a poor decision and she probably has suffered an economic loss and the cow suffered longer than need be. But I bet that particular poster was a true beginner and as Oldtimer mentioned, experience is the best teacher. And sometimes you make a lot of mistakes along the way.

But I absolutely agree with Dun, in that we certainly DON'T need another venue for government intervention, nor do we need lawsuits or other legal action taken as Blackpower suggested. The people that have the problems with their cattle and are either honestly unable to handle them adequately or that cavalierly choose to ignore them will both suffer the economic loss and I believe that to be punishment enough. Yes, some cattle seem to suffer needlessly when bad situations present themselves to inexperienced people. But bad things happen as well to cattle out on the really large ranches owned by very experienced people, but that are not as intensively managed as Blackpower's --- or on places owned by part-timers such as myself. Unpleasant, but probably the way mother nature intended it. But let's keep the government out of it!

I too am surprised at how close the pole is. :eek:

Maybe I am a little sheepish because I probably would be considered one of those people that should not own cattle. I have learned an incredible amount from you guys here on the boards and my place is all the better for it. My believe has always been that you should ask someone who knows more than you even if you feel stupid or take a ribbing. I would probably not score very high on the proposed test for cattle rancher but then again score very high when tested in my primary work area. When I orignally began in my primary work area I am certain that I would not have done well on that testing either, they require a certain number of years experience even prior to taking the test (the chicken or the egg thing.) .Who knows with a little time and your continued support I could score high in Cattle as well.

My point being, even if you have to suffer through a few of my stupid questions, your prompt and helpful answers (as they have always been here) minize the suffering that my animals would have had to endure due to my ignorance.

I repsect all you guys for lending a hand and sorry us greenhorns rub you wrong now and again.

I agree this board has been extremely helpful to me. I have been away from cattle for 20 years and I read every post. Some things I kneew but I get something from you regulars every day. I don't sign in when I ask a simple question. Usually I was just looking for a second opinion on those. I am just getting started again with some grass calves and I would miss this board a lot

Latest posts