Walk behind mowers/brush cutters...

Help Support CattleToday:

I had a billy goat which was a real pain in the arse but cut pretty well.. What exactly are you going to be cutting ?

Biggest issue the neighbor has with his DR is that it isn;t all that stable or maneuverable on rough type areas.

dun":3fab30m4 said:
Biggest issue the neighbor has with his DR is that it isn;t all that stable or maneuverable on rough type areas.

same kind of issues I had.. I don't know what hes cutting but a 5foot sickle mower on my cub cured most of my fence problems then round up cured the other with a strong mix of 24d

Thanks for the replies.

We've got fence rows where there are banks that drop down into roadside ditches that are too steep for riding mowers and too overgrown for line trimmers and/or too narrow for batwings.

A heavy duty Stihl string trimmer with the string replaced by the plastic blades will chop anything but small trees or heavy woody brush.

dun":2pxea8hp said:
A heavy duty Stihl string trimmer with the string replaced by the plastic blades will chop anything but small trees or heavy woody brush.

They also have a metal blade available that will cut trees up to 3". Works great for cleaning fence rows.

I've had a Troybilt walk behind sickle bar mower for about 23 years. It shakes you pretty good, but no worries about slinging rocks. It'll easily cut up to one inch saplings (what ever fits between the teeth, except "T" post :shock: ). Of course it doesn't mulch, but I prefer the ease of picking up whole pieces and piling for compost or burn pile.

Crazy Farmgirl":aljrjuy6 said:
dun":aljrjuy6 said:

They also have a metal blade available that will cut trees up to 3". Works great for cleaning fence rows.
I have both the 3 lobed metal blade and the saw blade. The saw blade gets pinched to badly when you're tempted to actually cut down a tree with it, I prefer the 3 lobed one for brush and for that matter the big really woody dry stemmed weeds.

Well I just committed to buy a used DR Brush Cutter with a 17 HP Kawasaki motor and 30 inch deck that allegedly has less than 20 hours on it. The seller is delivering it to me in the next day or so and if it checks out I'll be the proud new owner. I plan to give it a thorough work out over the 4th of July and report back on my experience. I also plan on purchasing some heavy duty blades for my Stihl trimmer to touch up the really tight spots.

+1 on the bladed stihl. I have used one plenty of times. Sounds silly but be careful, it will cut through your boot quickly.

hillbilly beef man":2lmfdt2p said:
If you want to get it done in a hurry and get a workout get you an old Gravley.

We had one of those in the 70's and it was a cutting machine. The sickle mower was perfect for our ditches. I didn't see any of that style on the Gravely site, so I guess they've stopped making them.

Latest posts