waiting on this for thanksgiving, not turkey dinner

Help Support CattleToday:

glacierridge

Reaction score
IMG_20131018_084219_zps0c72e1ed.jpg

Wish she were mine but my brother is holding onto this one for a while which I guess is almost as good.
I own her oldest daughter who is just as efficient and prolific.

She's due with #4 this Thanksgiving, hoping for a bull this time but have doubts with how light she's carrying. Last year's calf was a whopper of a heifer, but a nice one.

I hate waiting. Lol.

glacierridge":2wzysucj said:
Yep.
Going to be an interesting offspring...
Glad it's a sizable NWSS past reserve champ bull so it should be good and not a junk calf.

OK, so maybe I missed the original thread, but why did you breed such a nice looking cow to a highland?

Fire Sweep Ranch":18cwkufe said:
glacierridge":18cwkufe said:
Yep.
Going to be an interesting offspring...
Glad it's a sizable NWSS past reserve champ bull so it should be good and not a junk calf.

OK, so maybe I missed the original thread, but why did you breed such a nice looking cow to a highland?
She is bred to a really nice quality highland bull, he is not one of these "hobby bred" highlands we got used to.
scottland_zpsc31d7902.jpg

OK, granted, for a Highland, he looks pretty good. But what would being gained by breeding to a Highland? If I were showing cattle, maybe the hair trait would pass along (can you imagine trying to fit such a beast? :) ), but what does a Highland have to offer a BB cross cow? Better forage converter? Just wondering...

It's a little bit of an experiment,
If it's not good we will eat the evidence.
The Highlands have several good traits that they have over the centuries of natural selection. They forage on what other cattle would pass by, have fine grained lean meat, move length and longevity, immunity, almost no calving issues.
We do want a bit of that hair... A 1/4 blood should have about the amount we are looking for.
Really curious to see what this calf will live up to.
The cow always brings forth the best even with a mediocre sire which is why we are trying this out on her. I know she'll do her part.

glacierridge":368sov8d said:
It's a little bit of an experiment,
If it's not good we will eat the evidence.

The Highlands have several good traits that they have over the centuries of natural selection. They forage on what other cattle would pass by, have fine grained lean meat, move length and longevity, immunity, almost no calving issues.
We do want a bit of that hair... A 1/4 blood should have about the amount we are looking for.
Really curious to see what this calf will live up to.
The cow always brings forth the best even with a mediocre sire which is why we are trying this out on her. I know she'll do her part.
Good lines, Anne. :D

Fire Sweep Ranch":2g0yolwj said:
OK, granted, for a Highland, he looks pretty good. But what would being gained by breeding to a Highland? If I were showing cattle, maybe the hair trait would pass along (can you imagine trying to fit such a beast? :) ), but what does a Highland have to offer a BB cross cow? Better forage converter? Just wondering...

Why don't you just slap her up the side of the head like my dad would do me when I was about 7 or 8?

Warning: this is a joke! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Two days overdue.

Just was talking to my sister about this, we picked up the semen late last spring... So I've kinda been waiting for this calf about a year and a half now...

My sister says that's an awfully long gestation. ;-)

Hope we don't have to wait too much longer!!

Shadscale":fruzk7fx said:
Is your bedding old ground up newspapers with some straw?
Yep. Straw when we are running short but for the youngest babes we prefer the paper bedding. Very absorbent and soft.
Have a big shredder upstairs in the barn, it's designed to set a whole full paper bag of papers in.
You can shred a bale in it too but it makes far too much dust even with the barn open.

Latest posts