Vomitting Calf

Help Support CattleToday:

redfish

Reaction score
I have a calf that wheighs 300 lbs. I bought the steer calf cheep at the stockyard. He is a little thin so I bought him because I looked at him pretty good and couldnt see any thing wrong with him. I brought him home vaccinated him respatory, blackleg, a 2cc of vitamin a-d, banamine, and 48 hr. pennaccillin, also wormed with ivomec. I fed him 2lbs. starter feed, have clean water tank. I also put out some wheat hay, grass hay, and a little alfalfa hay. He pigged out. The next day I gave him the same. He was only on pasture so I didnt give him very much feed or alfalfa hay, but I did give him a good amount of grass hay and wheat hay. He mostly picked through the wheat hay. He ate all of the grain first, I put a litte trace mineral-salt and alittle aromiacin in the feed, I also put 20ccs of probios in the feed. Like I said he loved it. Day 2 I did the same. The calf acting normal. Day 3 calf started eating the feed and vomitted in it. It looked like a corn wheat vomit mix. Not runny not firm. He looks a little bloated but not bad. So I put him in the pasture and he ate a little grass. He doesnt act sick but he is a very calm calf. He will walk rite up to you when he is done eating. I just dont know why he is vomitting and then he will go rite back to eating. I had a calf 5 years ago that did the same thing. I sold him after a month of doing that. All of the other calfs 30 did great on this formula. And it must not be contageous. What causes this problem usually. Dunn and Vicky and other nolagable ppeaple please respond. Sorry So Long THANKS MUCH???????

I've never seen a calf 'vomit' in my life, so I can't help you with that. However, it sounds like you're overfeeding the grain. The usual recommendation is to start new calves (especially calves from the salebarn, where you have no history of what or how they have been fed) out at apprx 1% of their bodyweight - in this case that would be 3 lbs of grain for a 300# calf. 'A good amount' of wheat hay would, most likely, deliver more than 1 lb of wheat. Plus there is the problem of whole wheat not being recommended as feed due to the difficulty of digestion. I would remove the wheat hay and the alfalfa hay, feed this calf just the starter and the grass hay and go from there. Once he has adjusted to the grain and started gaining good, I would then gradually introduce alfalfa to his diet. I hope this helps.

I've seen one calf vomit in my entire life...freaked me out. However, it was a bottle baby that had been brought in from the auction, it was at the most 2 days old, and it had a whole lot wrong with it from the "git go."

This post made me curious, so I googled it just for a minute. 2 things I read from different states' extensions...one had to do with a poisonous weed that caused it. The other said that grub larvae dying in the esophogus will cause it. I've included that grub link below.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/IG126

Alice

Calves will eat soyhull pellets and spit them back up until they get used to them.

Don't know why they wouldn't any other feed too.

I bought a bunch of 600 pound heifers and when I feed them sweet feed, one of them vomited just like you described. Switched to cubes which made her slow down and she had no problems.

msscamp":4pu176e4 said:
I've never seen a calf 'vomit' in my life, so I can't help you with that. However, it sounds like you're overfeeding the grain. The usual recommendation is to start new calves (especially calves from the salebarn, where you have no history of what or how they have been fed) out at apprx 1% of their bodyweight - in this case that would be 3 lbs of grain for a 300# calf. 'A good amount' of wheat hay would, most likely, deliver more than 1 lb of wheat. Plus there is the problem of whole wheat not being recommended as feed due to the difficulty of digestion. I would remove the wheat hay and the alfalfa hay, feed this calf just the starter and the grass hay and go from there. Once he has adjusted to the grain and started gaining good, I would then gradually introduce alfalfa to his diet. I hope this helps.

yes over feeding/ feeding to much to soon. cattle have lived on pasture for many moons.

I think it seems like a lot to do to a new animal coming in to a new place. Vaccinating , deworming, antibiotics, Banamine , medicated feed , trace mineral salt... adding all those new foods at one time, and I would double check the probios dose to make sure you are giving the recommended dosage.
I also think that Alice could be on to something with the grubs...since the dewormer you used probably said to use caution this time of year. How many days has it been since you dewormed it?

I would cut back on everything but the basics and add very gradually any other feeds.

Thanks to you all for the responses. He is still eating good, but I put him in the pasture and gave him no feed at all. I also took away all of his water because I got ahold of my vet and he said a lot of the things you all posted. Exspecialy the change in feed and feeding him to much. I usually start out slower but it was cold so I thought I could give him alittle more than usuall. I probably do a lot of work to them, maybe to much when I get them in, but I did a little to much this time because the steer looked pretty neglected. The vet said to give him no water for 24hrs. He was eating feed or wheat hay and some grass hay, but every time I fed, he ate it all and then would get a drink of water and start hanging his head way down and start throwing up. I put him in the barn for tonight and tommorow, because he keeps trying to get to water anywhere. Usually I add a little salt to make them want to drink alot. Ill see what happens tommorrow. I watched him till 3am this morning and ill be out earley to check on him. Thanks again Keep the good responses coming.

I am not sure about withholding water. I would at least offer it so he can drink some every few hours. ( you could have control over it that way so he doesn't overindulge) Maybe the salt you were giving him is making him drink too much at one time? You don't want to have a dehydrated calf on your hands.
This is just my opinion of course.

Kelly":15ydefx2 said:
I am not sure about withholding water. I would at least offer it so he can drink some every few hours. ( you could have control over it that way so he doesn't overindulge) Maybe the salt you were giving him is making him drink too much at one time? You don't want to have a dehydrated calf on your hands.
This is just my opinion of course.

I kind of worry about withholding water, also...

Alice

Everyone who posted a response to my problem was right and helpful in one way or another. First I think I over fed and made him sick. Last night I looked up bloating cures and gave him baking soda. He through up the first batch I gave him but was able to keep the secound batch down. I tryed pennisillen 3 days ago with very little responce. Last night I gave him LA 200, a double dose. Had about the same responce,a little better though. Today I gave him his water back. I did give him a little water 2 times today. I gave him a shot of LA 200, regular dose today, about 2 PM. I had my best result after using baking soda. He seems to have stopped throwing up and it seems he is doing a lot better. Im going to check on him at 4 AM. He may be dead or I might have found the right the cure with youralls help. Anyway thanks for youralls help. Ill keep youall posted on his progress if he keeps doing well or turns for the worst. THANKS REDFISH After giving La 200, when should I give him another shot??? It doesnt say on my bottle.

redfish":1szuohn0 said:
Everyone who posted a response to my problem was right and helpful in one way or another. First I think I over fed and made him sick. Last night I looked up bloating cures and gave him baking soda. He through up the first batch I gave him but was able to keep the secound batch down. I tryed pennisillen 3 days ago with very little responce. Last night I gave him LA 200, a double dose. Had about the same responce,a little better though. Today I gave him his water back. I did give him a little water 2 times today. I gave him a shot of LA 200, regular dose today, about 2 PM. I had my best result after using baking soda. He seems to have stopped throwing up and it seems he is doing a lot better. Im going to check on him at 4 AM. He may be dead or I might have found the right the cure with youralls help. Anyway thanks for youralls help. Ill keep youall posted on his progress if he keeps doing well or turns for the worst. THANKS REDFISH After giving La 200, when should I give him another shot??? It doesnt say on my bottle.

Bless your heart! When I read this it cheers me like you wouldn't believe. You are doing all you can...all you know how. You have asked, researched, stewed, worried, and not given up. You are allright!

If that calf is still alive, and I have no reason to believe he won't be, then give him another shot when you check on him at 4:00 a.m. It won't kill him...

Man...I don't know ya'...and you might not understand this...but your dedication and determination gave me one great, big Christmas present. Thank you!

Alice

I always hate doubting what a vet recommends, but withholding water for 24 hours on a sick calf really doesn't sound right. I could understand if he said to LIMIT his water intake.
But, yes, it sounds like he keeps overeating and his starved little stomach can't handle it. Just go SLOW.
Sounds like he will have a great home.

Redfish, one more thing...Probios! Give him probios...at least daily...even twice daily...give him probios.

Ok, carry on... :)

Alice

My calf is still doing better, slowly. I talked to the vet again today and he sold me some bloat medicine. It also is a laxative. I have been giving him probios and banamine 2 times a day. He is still a little bloated but not nearly like he was. I hope this treatment will work. The vet said if it didnt work, he is going to come out tommorrow and tube him. Thanks for your kind comments and your good advices. I think that the previous owner stareved this animal more than it looked. He or she, must not of fed him for days or very little for weeks. Any hay,grain,or anything that looks like food he tryes to eat. If he makes a good recovery ill bring him up very slow. Ive bought close to 1000 calves at 15 or so different stockyards and I give them usually about 1% grain between 2 feedings a day of starter feed even if there 600 lbs. But I didnt take into the fact of the grain in the wheat hay. Ill never do that again. If this calf gets better, he will be awesome. He has a huge frame and wants to eat all the time. Well THANKS AGAIN MUCH.

redfish":1i165e92 said:
My calf is still doing better, slowly. I talked to the vet again today and he sold me some bloat medicine. It also is a laxative. I have been giving him probios and banamine 2 times a day. He is still a little bloated but not nearly like he was. I hope this treatment will work. The vet said if it didnt work, he is going to come out tommorrow and tube him. Thanks for your kind comments and your good advices. I think that the previous owner stareved this animal more than it looked. He or she, must not of fed him for days or very little for weeks. Any hay,grain,or anything that looks like food he tryes to eat. If he makes a good recovery ill bring him up very slow. Ive bought close to 1000 calves at 15 or so different stockyards and I give them usually about 1% grain between 2 feedings a day of starter feed even if there 600 lbs. But I didnt take into the fact of the grain in the wheat hay. Ill never do that again. If this calf gets better, he will be awesome. He has a huge frame and wants to eat all the time. Well THANKS AGAIN MUCH.

Redfish! Is the vet telling you to give banamine 2 times a day? If not, stop! Banamine can be really, really hard on the gut.

Oh, and with you dedication and determination, that calf has gotta get better...you are a good caretaker, and caregiver. :)

Alice

A lot of times I buy cattle that arent in very good shape. Having cattle is the funnest and hardest job-hobby I have ever had. Once I get them straitened out, then I sell some of them. Eventually you have to sell all of them. Sometimes that sucks to me, but if I get them straitened out, im on top of the world. A lot of times I dont make very much money on them, but I do get huge satisfaction. I think the only people that make money in cattle are very hard working, lucky people. ANYWAY just adding my extra 2 cents. REDFISH

My vet never told me to give banamine 2 times a day, but the bottle says every 12 hrs. He weighs 300lbs. but i only give him 2cc at a time instead of 3cc. But I didnt know it was hard on there guts. Thanks for telling me that. How much and when should I give him banamine.

redfish":1gvrwsfx said:
My vet never told me to give banamine 2 times a day, but the bottle says every 12 hrs. He weighs 300lbs. but i only give him 2cc at a time instead of 3cc. But I didnt know it was hard on there guts. Thanks for telling me that. How much and when should I give him banamine.

Ask your vet, redfish. The clinic vets that we use are real judicious when it comes to banamine. It has it's place with many illnesses, don't get me wrong...and we use it here. But, when the vet told us that continual use can harm cause harm to the calves' stomachs, we cut way back on using it.

You are following the label instructions and not overdoing it...that's a good thing. And, your vet may tell you to continue what you are doing with the banamine...but since you are dealing with a calf with stomach problems, myself, I'd ask the vet if continuing to use banamine was called for before I gave anymore of it.

I've got my fingers crossed for you and the calf. Good job, redfish! :)

Alice

redfish":1gp2i5gr said:
A lot of times I buy cattle that arent in very good shape. Having cattle is the funnest and hardest job-hobby I have ever had. Once I get them straitened out, then I sell some of them. Eventually you have to sell all of them. Sometimes that sucks to me, but if I get them straitened out, im on top of the world. A lot of times I dont make very much money on them, but I do get huge satisfaction. I think the only people that make money in cattle are very hard working, lucky people. ANYWAY just adding my extra 2 cents. REDFISH

And, I agree with your 2 cents, redfish. I know how you feel...it is a very satisfying and rewarding experience. :)

Alice

Latest posts