visible gas tank

Help Support CattleToday:

heath

Reaction score

the owner got a wild hair and decided he wanted this redone. It took a while doing it in between jobs, but it turned out pretty good for being made in 1925

It was rough when I started. The sheet metal was bent up and had rust holes at the bottom, like it had been standing in water. We could have ordered new skins, but the boss wanted to keep it as original as possible. The brass valves and fittings are new, but they were castings so I had to sand them down so I could polish them. This whole thing was extremely labor intensive.

Nice job. I hope you keep it chained down or inside somewhere. I used to have about a dozen of them in various states of repair and they sprung legs.

heath":3jti5b84 said:

the owner got a wild hair and decided he wanted this redone. It took a while doing it in between jobs, but it turned out pretty good for being made in 1925

When I was growing up my grandma still had her Model A Ford the gas station she would let me
go and fill up at still had a visible pump for kerosene.
Even after tires had become synthetic still had to park it on ramps in the barn.

In the late 60s in a town called Mineral King in the Seirra there was a little store that priced everything by the nickle, no pennys allowed. They had a visible pump with marks on the visible part that had dollar increments marked on it. You pumped by hand the gas upto the level of dollars you wanted then opened a hose and the gus ran into your tank. That was the last one of them I saw that worked, the ones since have all been just display pieces.

366291-633-0.jpg

My neighbor redone one of these doubles (like the one above) for a guy. Said they are very rare. Owner was given it by a neighbor that was going to throw it to the dump. Apparently restored, one of these is worth between $12-20k. It was a thing of beauty when it was done.

I'm sure I will have to help take it to his house and when I do I'll geta picture of the one we did a couple years ago. It is a shorter newer version

dun":bl5j69tm said:
In the late 60s in a town called Mineral King in the Seirra there was a little store that priced everything by the nickle, no pennys allowed. They had a visible pump with marks on the visible part that had dollar increments marked on it. You pumped by hand the gas upto the level of dollars you wanted then opened a hose and the gus ran into your tank. That was the last one of them I saw that worked, the ones since have all been just display pieces.
It's still there. It still works but nobody is suposed to know that it still works.

Latest posts