Virginia Tech

Help Support CattleToday:

backhoeboogie

Reaction score
In the classic gun fight, my chances of survival would probably be about 50%. My survival would be more dependant on my aim, being second to my reflexes to draw my gun with speed.

The Hoolywood drama of John Wayne shooting dead aimed of off the back of a horse in full gallop is about the same chances of me winning a lotto. We all know that these things only happen in the movies.

My nerve would come into play. I would be taking aim while bullets were being hurled in my direction. This folks, is probably more nerve than I truly posses and afterwards I would indeed be shaking. This would be a no win situation all the way around. IF I survived, someone else's son/father/brother would not. If I did not, who would look after my family?

The recent death of 32 people and an additonal suicide is being debated repetitively in various forums and discussions. Inevitably, gun control comes up. In my opinion, only a coward would take up arms against defenseless individuals. If there was half a chance that some individuals in that building would have been armed, this coward would have never done what he did in the first place. He would have never attained the sense of control he sickly took during the incident. His actions were as cowardice as they come. We would have never known of this mental state of mind and we would be discussing and arguing about something else.

This opinion of mine would fit into other discussions but I offer it in a new thread since there is a potential this could create emotions and locking of another's thread.

I am so sick of hearing everybodies ideas on how this can be stopped. In a nation of 300,000,000 people we will have crazy people do things like this again and again forever. No guns, or more guns wont fix the problem. Shame on anyone that has tried to push there politics and use this tragedy.

backhoeboogie":2wqmqpn2 said:
In the classic gun fight, my chances of survival would probably be about 50%. My survival would be more dependant on my aim, being second to my reflexes to draw my gun with speed.

The Hoolywood drama of John Wayne shooting dead aimed of off the back of a horse in full gallop is about the same chances of me winning a lotto. We all know that these things only happen in the movies.

My nerve would come into play. I would be taking aim while bullets were being hurled in my direction. This folks, is probably more nerve than I truly posses and afterwards I would indeed be shaking. This would be a no win situation all the way around. IF I survived, someone else's son/father/brother would not. If I did not, who would look after my family?

The recent death of 32 people and an additonal suicide is being debated repetitively in various forums and discussions. Inevitably, gun control comes up. In my opinion, only a coward would take up arms against defenseless individuals. If there was half a chance that some individuals in that building would have been armed, this coward would have never done what he did in the first place. He would have never attained the sense of control he sickly took during the incident. His actions were as cowardice as they come. We would have never known of this mental state of mind and we would be discussing and arguing about something else.

This opinion of mine would fit into other discussions but I offer it in a new thread since there is a potential this could create emotions and locking of another's thread.

I agree! And when you look at the fact that almost all of these type of shooters end up killing themselves before they are faced with a fight from police or others. It gives your theory more merit. I know that they are prepared to die since the commit suicide, but they want to die on their own grounds one bullet to the head. They do not want to take the chance of being detained or face the fear of policeman shooting back at them.

Just my theory on the situation.

Same thing I said on Monday. One Prof or one student packing...

They talk about closed campus but the campus police pack. So get some teachers thru the acadamy and commissioned. The local constable can carry their commission.Z

MillIronQH":w7273fdg said:

They talk about closed campus but the campus police pack. So get some teachers thru the acadamy and commissioned. The local constable can carry their commission.Z

I agree with you Zack. It's a shame that it's had to come to this...but, sadly, I think it must...and not just on the university level.

Alice

Alice":2vh2nmw3 said:
MillIronQH":2vh2nmw3 said:

I agree with you Zack. It's a shame that it's had to come to this...but, sadly, I think it must...and not just on the university level.

Alice

I say lets not say the sky is falling so quickly! I believe in the right of choice for people to carry a cancelled gun. So if a teacher wish to have one they should be able to because its their constitutional right. But no reason to mandate it or even push for it.

Currently our kids are more likely to be struck by lightening than killed by a killer at any level of school. There is no place safer for our kids than at school. The 9 months they are in school they are safer than the 3 months that they are not.

Liberal Media just turns these things into chicken little. I have no fear of my kids being in school, rather it is elementary, High school or College. I know they are safer there than if they were almost anywhere else.

In reality the sheer fact of how horrendous such acts are make most loose sight of really how little they really happen, when comparing them to the scope and size of the U.S.

Nuts are nothing new the Media is and there coverage of the nuts bring more nuts out. I carry have been licensed for years.
It all goes back to what Boogie said about them as cowards if they know there is a chance someone will fight back they are scared. When we catch on of these nuts the Media coverage should be about there swift public execution.
You can't cure a mad dog you have to kill it.

Caustic Burno":3f7w8itt said:
Nuts are nothing new the Media is and there coverage of the nuts bring more nuts out. I carry have been licensed for years.
It all goes back to what Boogie said about them as cowards if they know there is a chance someone will fight back they are scared. When we catch on of these nuts the Media coverage should be about there swift public execution.

Yep, bring back the hanging judges and less rehabilitation.

Caustic Burno":1mrv6ira said:

It is sad that we don't feel safe unless armed in a place like an institute of higher learning. My husband's workplace locks the breakroom now because of this. My classroom is next to the front door of the school and it worries me. We get angry parents and students here all the time.

I don't think the media should have broadcast that nut's rants. I think that knowing his identity was important to healing, but now that we know, we should just let him die anonymously. His poor parents. Those poor families. It is just too sad.

Caustic Burno":3mf7t6bn said:

Swift public execution: It just might help.

aplusmnt":282uj22y said:
Alice":282uj22y said:
MillIronQH":282uj22y said:

Alice

I say lets not say the sky is falling so quickly! I believe in the right of choice for people to carry a cancelled gun. So if a teacher wish to have one they should be able to because its their constitutional right. But no reason to mandate it or even push for it.

Currently our kids are more likely to be struck by lightening than killed by a killer at any level of school. There is no place safer for our kids than at school. The 9 months they are in school they are safer than the 3 months that they are not.

Liberal Media just turns these things into chicken little. I have no fear of my kids being in school, rather it is elementary, High school or College. I know they are safer there than if they were almost anywhere else.

In reality the sheer fact of how horrendous such acts are make most loose sight of really how little they really happen, when comparing them to the scope and size of the U.S.

There is a reason these sickos pick schools, and day cares and the Amish to pick on. No guns to fight back. They can walk around shooting innocent unarmed kids.

Ok, so which is it?

Alice

Alice":uszs6dm8 said:
aplusmnt":uszs6dm8 said:
Alice":uszs6dm8 said:
MillIronQH":uszs6dm8 said:

Alice

There is a reason these sickos pick schools, and day cares and the Amish to pick on. No guns to fight back. They can walk around shooting innocent unarmed kids.

Ok, so which is it?

Alice

Guess I do not see a contradiction??

Yes people do pick soft targets that are gun free zones to go on their killing rampages.

But yes our kids are safer at school than most any other place including home! And yes a person kid or otherwise is more likely to get struck by lightening than killed by a gun in a school.

There is a reason teachers are not listed on dangerous occupations, that is because schools are one of the safest places to be.

My children are way more likely to die here on the farm during summer break than they are to die at school, and the odds really go up when you say being shot and killed at school.

Schools are generally speaking very safe places for our children!

Just a thought, folks, but do you really think that the threat of public excecutions, armed profs or students, or any type of punishment would deter someone who plans to kill as many as possible and then turn the gun on themselves?

Maybe, but if they are already planning to die by their own hands I doubt they are very concerned about what you are going to do to them afterward. I dunno, maybe I'm applying more logic to these people than what they are capable of.

I am a convert on this one. I once favored gun control but I changed over a few years ago.
Gun free environments are like fly paper to the disturbed. They get a gun, and they become like little gods because no one else has that. The Colorado kids evidently targeted several athletes they felt had dissed them. Power. For as long as it lasts.
We need to tighten up our ability to have these folks insitutionalized. Several profs, roomates, etc recognized this guy as disturbed, but no one could do anything.

john250":bxselw0i said:
I am a convert on this one. I once favored gun control but I changed over a few years ago.
Gun free environments are like fly paper to the disturbed. They get a gun, and they become like little gods because no one else has that. The Colorado kids evidently targeted several athletes they felt had dissed them. Power. For as long as it lasts.
We need to tighten up our ability to have these folks insitutionalized. Several profs, roomates, etc recognized this guy as disturbed, but no one could do anything.

We need to tighten up our ability to have these folks insitutionalized. Several profs, roomates, etc recognized this guy as disturbed, but no one could do anything

Exactly...yet everyone is so afraid of privacy issues and lawsuits. AND, everyone is concerned...who's gonna foot the bill!

Alice

Hasbeen":4uhb0jmo said:
Maybe, but if they are already planning to die by their own hands I doubt they are very concerned about what you are going to do to them afterward. I dunno, maybe I'm applying more logic to these people than what they are capable of.

I am no psychologist but i think it has lots to do with the cowardly approach. They are cowards for picking on innocent people that can not fight back such as kids. And then they choose on their own grounds to take the cowardly way out by a quick and painless shot to the head.

Almost always the gunmen do not keep shooting and fighting once someone shows up with weapons to fight them. They want that cowardly no pain way to die.

I think it is in their make up not to be able to stand against an opponent, otherwise some of them would keep shooting at the cops. So anything that would challenge them might do some good.

You people are talking like they picked these places because they were gun free, They picked these places because they were the places the people they blamed occupied. Everybody wants to right these shooters off as stuoid, that is a huge mistake and if you really wanted to help prevent thing like this you wouldn't say aomething so stupid. Everyone saying the cowardly approach isn't looking at this in a realistic way. Is it cowardly to step out of the way when a car is driving at you? It is just a stupid thing to say.

Some years ago, the Isreali school system had problems with a certain group of people targeting their school children - in the schools.

Certain school teachers are now at all times armed and present on the grounds - firearms not visible - but they are there.

Many will say this is something they do not want to see - but there has not been one attack on a school that I can think of since they initiated this policy - nearly 10 or possibly more years ago.

Despite initial misgivings, the program worked.

No matter what one thinks about firearms control - all you have to do is look at countries that have it - and how it has not made a real difference.

Canada has had problems despite the system they imposed. The UK is growing more and more violent - and now has higher crime stats in some areas than the U.S. of A - in fact this has been confirmed by the British Home Office - information available on the web and several firearms sites. And the beat goes on.

All in all it boils down to this:

There are good people and there are bad people. If the good do not act, the bad will do as they please. Sometimes the good cannot act because they are hindered by law.

Ie: Canada - if your life is in serious danger - do not kill the criminal - you will go to jail and if lucky will get a suspended sentence or a short sentence.

In the UK - do not kill someone if your life is in danger - you will go to jail.

Finally anytime someone says let the police handle it, I like to bring up something an RCMP Staff Sergeant once told me at his wedding - I was the best man:

The police seldom if ever show up in time to prevent the crime.

They almost always show up after the fact and conduct the investigation!

I wish more people would remember this.

Bez>