Video of a Cow Eating a Baby Chick

Help Support CattleToday:

GotMyHandsFull

Reaction score
Below is a link to a video that shows a cow eating a baby chicken. Is this some sort of protein deficiency? I have geese that hatch out their goslings on my ponds each year, and something always seems to get the goslings. I was thinking coyotes, but maybe I have a herd of new suspects. The link is safe. It goes to Smithsonian Magazine.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...-poor-chicken-got-eaten-cow-180951115/?no-ist

They had that chick tied to a string!
I doubt that your cattle are eating goslings. But I think the author is correct, that cow did it because "it can." Probably learned it was a treat on a string.

My husband works at a poultry processing facility, where more than a half million birds are butchered each day. Lately, he has been working in waste water, helping fix blood lines and such, so he really stinks when he gets home. The cows think he is candy! When we go out and check cows (and he just got home from work), the cows will all flock to him, lick and bite his pants, and fight over him! We laugh all the time when it happens, and call him cow candy!!! But, on a serious note, there must be something in the blood smell that attracts them to him. They try to eat the clothes off his body, along with his rubber boots. They are in no way deficient.

GotMyHandsFull":3mqimemv said:
Below is a link to a video that shows a cow eating a baby chicken. Is this some sort of protein deficiency? I have geese that hatch out their goslings on my ponds each year, and something always seems to get the goslings. I was thinking coyotes, but maybe I have a herd of new suspects. The link is safe. It goes to Smithsonian Magazine.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...-poor-chicken-got-eaten-cow-180951115/?no-ist

Turtles are getting the goslings I suspect.

TennesseeTuxedo":7w01syzx said:
GotMyHandsFull":7w01syzx said:

Turtles are getting the goslings I suspect.
That would be my guess

branguscowgirl":ol3xbpyq said:
I doubt that your cattle are eating goslings. But I think the author is correct, that cow did it because "it can." Probably learned it was a treat on a string.
RABBIT-EATING-COW-1268785205_zpswd1ejqyk.jpeg

Muddy":isa70afx said:
branguscowgirl":isa70afx said:

Holsteins will seemingly eat anything but that photo looks photoshopped

Jake":jdtfraqw said:
Muddy":jdtfraqw said:
branguscowgirl":jdtfraqw said:

Holsteins will seemingly eat anything but that photo looks photoshopped

Nope it's real.
Seen it in a old vet manual. They put a bunch of steers out on a low phosphorus pasture, and they started eating rabbits to get their phosphorus.
Very crazy stuff, but shows cattle will find a way to survive.

Latest posts