Vets (again)

Help Support CattleToday:

dun

Reaction score
From beef cow calf weekly

Facing Up To A Brewing Rural Vet Crisis?
A recent article in the Wichita Eagle by Associated Press writer Roxana Hegeman reflects growing national concern that the U.S. livestock industry may be facing a crisis in the availability of rural veterinarians. The shortage of rural vets, writes Hegeman, has worsened in recent years as more old-timers have retired.

There's no question a shortage of rural vets, particularly those willing to burn up and down the roads and highways of the Midwest and West, makes things tough for the day-to-day needs of livestock producers. Yet, who can blame young vets for eschewing the helter-skelter, jack-of-all-trades pace needed to make a living in the country. Life becomes a lot easier (and more lucrative) for those who can settle in pet-rich suburbia or concentrate their efforts in specialized practices.

And while the path that vet medicine as an institution appears to be taking may leave many ranchers high and dry, as pointed out by Hageman, there's more to the story. With increased concern about the emerging issues of biosecurity and agroterrorism, the fear is livestock-producing states may become less capable in early detection of animal diseases.

"We need veterinarians to alert us if there's any sign of foreign animal disease (FAD)," Kansas Animal Health Commissioner George Teagarden tells Hegemen. "If a producer has a problem and can't get a vet until the next day that may be too late for us. ... If there is an unusual disease, we need to know about it."

Hegeman says the vet shortage also is affecting such government agencies as USDA's Veterinary Services branches that protect U.S. ag from FAD threats.

The shortage is expected to worsen in light of the national trend toward a higher vet school enrollment of city kids compared to students with livestock ag experience.

"The issue is: There aren't enough vets out there to serve, and many of our existing practitioners are getting to the age they want to retire and can't find anybody that wants to buy their practice and maintain their practice," Teagarden said. "We're running shorter and shorter of veterinarians."

The American Veterinary Medical Association says that just 4% of the nation's vets in private practice treated large animals exclusively in 2004, while slightly more than 5% treated mostly large animals.

This is a critical issue the livestock industry - in collaboration with the organized vet community - has to address the next several years. In fact, the cattle industry should plead with the organizations representing bovine practitioners, bovine consultants, state animal health officials, and universities with pre-vet and veterinary schools, for a plan to address the needs of rural livestock America. We sorely need this valuable resource -- our country vets -- to remain woven into the fabric of our small communities.

And, if the creation of a new paradigm in rural animal health care, and the related fields of livestock management and reproduction, including biosecurity, is in order, let's go to work sooner than later to address the realities we face.
-- Clint Peck

Yep, I knew that. Our family friend retired and moved to Alabama. His son (also a vet) took over his practice but it wasn't long before he told us he couldn't treat my cows or horses anymore. Like I said before, now I do it myself or they don't get treated. I'm not cheap, just can't get a vet...... :x

There are plans in the works for vet students that want to become large animal vets to only have 2 years of vet school instead of the 6 it takes to learn both small and large animals. Also for further incentive bush has already signed the first stage bill to have a program that if a vet student signs a contract to work in a rural area that needs a vet for a years time the gov't will pay for vet school. It's not all concrete yet, hopefully within the next year or so it will be, as my daughter wants to be a large animal vet.

Around here weve just got to doctor em ourselves cause most of the time you cant get the vets to even call you back much less come out. We do what we can for them and hope for the best. Kill em or cure em.

jersey lilly":26rq19nw said:
There are plans in the works for vet students that want to become large animal vets to only have 2 years of vet school instead of the 6 it takes to learn both small and large animals. Also for further incentive bush has already signed the first stage bill to have a program that if a vet student signs a contract to work in a rural area that needs a vet for a years time the gov't will pay for vet school. It's not all concrete yet, hopefully within the next year or so it will be, as my daughter wants to be a large animal vet.

I hope this works out lilly. My GF already has a CS degree but wants to go back and become a LA vet. I encourage her but she didn't want to do another 4 years. This might help a lot if it works out.

jersey lilly":2zv5g2ds said:

This is awesome if it works out. That would help me out tremendously. I knew I wanted to be a large animal vet ever since I started in FFA. No other career has crossed my mind. Ive heard it was a really tough program to get into at schools, but Ive been working my hardest so I can get accepted. Although, can you learn everything in 2 years? I would like to learn more about little critters too, but mostly big critters.

we had a female vet for 2 years --best vet we ever had she weighted about 115 lbs. but she had her own way of getting the job done she could go inside the cow with both ams put a calf bed in useing a 2 litre pepsi bottle -damn sorry to see her go

I would like to see the 2 year program take effect or possibly some type of "paravet" program developed. If we can do that with human medicine why can't we do it for animals. Or maybe have forgivable loans or grants for education like Iowa is doing for Nurses. Give the kids and incentive to get the education.

Anyway I want to go back to school for animal science and would love to go to vet school, but by the time I would graduate I would be 44, kinda late to be trying to start a practice. (Guess I should have figured out that I loved cows and large animals sooner lol).

Anyway I want to go back to school for animal science and would love to go to vet school, but by the time I would graduate I would be 44, kinda late to be trying to start a practice. (Guess I should have figured out that I loved cows and large animals sooner lol).

Ok...how old will you be in 4 or 6 years if you DON'T go to Vet School?

Answer: 44

"How come the same?"

:D

Absolutely fantastic. Great to see the USA is making some headway on this issue. We have known about this major problem in Canada for about a decade and nothing seems to be done. An article a couple years ago in the Canadian Cattlemen's magazine suggested that there should be a 2 year program for those students wanting to go into a specific large animal field, ie specifically cows or horses or sheep/goats or pigs. I always wanted to be a vet, but the time and money involved doesn't make sense, being that I only wanted to be a cow vet. I would love a 2 year course for beef and dairy vet. I have met many other young farmers who have also wanted to do the same, but even though they may have done half of the things a cow vet has, they don't have the academic marks. It should be installed in a college type of setting, rather than an university-type deal.

I also just heard recently that our vets are also pulling out of the large animal practice & only doing small animals where they can make more money & not travel to farms. We are in a pretty rural where they have been the only vet practice here for years.

There's no way that a two year course would be adequate to learn large animal medicine and surgery, even if you only did cattle. I've done it in the standard time and frankly there's more information now than there was then for the new grad to learn. Should there be another option in streaming large or small animal? Yes. It could possibly be done in 3 years IF only small or large animal is done.

Just my opinion,

V

Vicky the vet":m92992cn said:
There's no way that a two year course would be adequate to learn large animal medicine and surgery, even if you only did cattle.
I've been wondering how they were going to do the 2 year deal since it presently takes two years to get an auto mechanics or welding or whatever degree from your local junior college. Nothing wrong with that. I've got one of those. But I'm glad my vet went the distance.
Cheyenne, I like your paravet idea. One of the vets here has a tech in his practice that has been around for a long time and she does an excellent job. 2 years of school, a lot of OJT and many years of self education. On some things she is better than he is and he will tell you that. But she will be the first one to tell you that she is not a vet.

Vicky the vet":11dxiveg said:
There's no way that a two year course would be adequate to learn large animal medicine and surgery, even if you only did cattle. I've done it in the standard time and frankly there's more information now than there was then for the new grad to learn. Should there be another option in streaming large or small animal? Yes. It could possibly be done in 3 years IF only small or large animal is done.

Just my opinion,

V

Vicky, a two year course in my mind, would go from January to December. No summer break. Alot of farm kids want to go into it, but don't want to spend a huge amount of time away from home. Streaming is available at the U of Saskatchewan, but even that isn't enough to entice kids. The entrance requirements are ridiculous and the bureaucracy of the entire veterinary education system plays a large part in the failure to attract large animal vets. After you spend the 6 years doing the program, even if you wanted to do large animals, you can't afford it and need the cash that small animals bring.

It was in the land and livestock post......a few months ago. I saved it. (somewhere) I'll try to find it and give you the edition so you can look it up online

if they do do that i'd go back to school. i majored in animal science planning to go to vet school and specialize in large animal. at the time i couldnt see myself going 4 more years but i could of handled 2. of course i would be in my 3rd year of vet school now if had gone on.. like Aaron alluded to, the requirements are out of control. i have good friends with emaculate grades that still cant into vet school 3 years later having tried each time they could apply. i think another thing is having to go so far away to a vet school, a lot of farm kids it seems like have a really hard time leaving home and their responsibilities (animals) that long. not to mention financial requirements. i know while i was in college i battled overwhelming guilt being 3.5 hours away from home and not being able to help out. coupled with the entrance requirements being so competitive, the time requirement, the money, etc i decided not to go (plus i'd have to take more chemistries, lol). you dont have to have a MD to doctor animals. what you do need is experience. of course getting prescriptions drugs is a different story and its nice to have a good relationship with a vet anyway.

I know that our junior college here used to have a Vet Assistant program, but I don't see that course listed anymore only animal science courses. Even that vet assistant program was probably only for small animals seen in the office. So maybe with an animal science degree and a willing vet MAYBE I could get to be an "on farm" assistant. I may have to check into that.

And yes in 8 years I will still be 44, but a big part of the problem is that all the schools that I would need to attend are hours away and with kids etc, it would be difficult but could be done. I would also would bet that I still would not be accepted into the program even if I pulled straight A's, our state vet school is very difficult to get into. So I will use all the above excuses plus finances to justify getting an animal science degree only. Who knows maybe after the kids are gone I will be one of thos 80 year old grandma's you hear about that finally finish their college education. lol

Our vet is kinda a dummy :oops:

They call him Doc Killm Quick.

Somehow when he de-nuts something he tends to kill the animal.

Can't figure out whats wrong with our dog. Took a horse to him with some back hip trouble so he gave him a mussle relaxer. He said give him the mussle relaxer every time I rode him. Bad thing was it made him feel good and he just stood there looking real happy and drooled everywhere and didn't wanna go no where :p

Ends up he had some bone trouble. Started giving hima supplement and took care of him good.

We have had some other trouble with him I just can't remember everything. :idea:

He is a good guy and he tries as hard as he can to help its just he is a little slow on the draw. :roll:

We found a good vet in Cherokee. Think we will start going there just as soon as I get my dog back from this guy in Anthony. If she don't get no better by Friday I will just go get her and take her to Cherokee.

:cboy:

Our vet is kinda a dummy :oops:

They call him Doc Killm Quick.

Somehow when he de-nuts something he tends to kill the animal.

Can't figure out whats wrong with our dog. Took a horse to him with some back hip trouble so he gave him a mussle relaxer. He said give him the mussle relaxer every time I rode him. Bad thing was it made him feel good and he just stood there looking real happy and drooled everywhere and didn't wanna go no where :p

Ends up he had some bone trouble. Started giving hima supplement and took care of him good.

We have had some other trouble with him I just can't remember everything. :idea:

He is a good guy and he tries as hard as he can to help its just he is a little slow on the draw. :roll:

We found a good vet in Cherokee. Think we will start going there just as soon as I get my dog back from this guy in Anthony. If she don't get no better by Friday I will just go get her and take her to Cherokee.

:cboy:

Latest posts