Vet says cows open ? Advice

Help Support CattleToday:

Lrj505":3a1js8r7 said:
I was at auction yesterday. Going cows were going for .47 cents. Alfalfa actually goes for around $8-10 a 60-70 pound 2 string bale. I make as much money with the cows as I would if I just sold the alfalfa. If I sold the alfalfa and bought cow hay $120 a ton I could double the number of cows I have and make more. Just haven't got to that point. I am going to put them on pasture and have a vet check them oct 1 and put them back with bull.

At the money you have invested that is what I would do. I imagine they will breed right back as soon as they pick up a little. With what killer cows are bringing I wouldn't sell them unless they don't breed after you put a bull with them and they put on some weight.

With all the young cows being processed hopefully there will be a demand for bred and pairs soon. The bull was checked before I turned him out. Truck and fertility. The seller has about 100 cows and these ones were the only ones open. One cycled and my bull bred her. Waiting on the other ones to. I have had them 6 weeks.

Lrj505":fjjw2zri said:
With all the young cows being processed hopefully there will be a demand for bred and pairs soon. The bull was checked before I turned him out. Truck and fertility. The seller has about 100 cows and these ones were the only ones open. One cycled and my bull bred her. Waiting on the other ones to. I have had them 6 weeks.
I hope you missed something, those cows should of had 2 cycles by now.

That's why I got worried. I think either Vet missed it or they were to thin.

Lrj505":2m2jctqt said:
That's why I got worried. I think either Vet missed it or they were to thin.
I personally don't by the to thin breed thinking. I've seen and bought some really poor looking cows that were short bred. Last year I bought 20 very poor bred cows, in so bad of shape that we stopped at the Sheriff dept. to report the guy for animal abuse. But we ended up with 20 live calves, and kept 6 nice pairs out of that deal.
Thin girls need loving too.

I am going to have them preg checked again. What else should I have them checked for? Also am going to love them to a separate place.

Lrj505":167mwe3x said:
Recently picked up 4 Herefords (3 year olds) from a guy I know for $1,100. He said the vet preg checked them and they were open. I figured for the price I could wait on my return. I put them in with my black angus bull. He definitely bred one I saw it with my own eyes. He hasn't even looked at the cows. They were a little thin. My question is. Could the vet have missed an early pregnancy ? I don't have any vets close that preg check. Or could they just need some more weight? They all had calf's last year. Thanks. I was thinking of taking them away from the bull and putting them in a foot tall grass pasture I have for a couple months and then putting them back.

I skimmed over everything but from personal experience ive had/bought thin cows get bred preg check and then not have a calf when expected bit were bred. My recipe was control the worms give good minerals give a lot of feed and grain to put weight on them then when they bred it seems to work out better. :2cents:

When you get them in, for preg ck or whatever, give them a lepto shot also if you are going to keep them.If they are open again, and have put on a few pounds, then they ought to sell decent unless the bottom falls out of the market. Killed virus, will not cause abortion. It is very prevalant here and we find that if we don't keep up with it will have a few that are open at preg ck time. Carried by nearly all mammals; dogs, cats, coyotes, deer, foxes...

If I had them I'd winter them and put some weight on them. Preg check in the spring and if they aren't bred send them to the sale. You'll come out ahead whether they are bred or not.

Ended up selling them and made $1300 bought me a young pair.

Lrj505":2gc4hjr9 said:
Ended up selling them and made $1300 bought me a young pair.
Nice! Now don't forget to have the bull tested..