Vet says cows open ? Advice

Help Support CattleToday:

Lrj505

Reaction score
Recently picked up 4 Herefords (3 year olds) from a guy I know for $1,100. He said the vet preg checked them and they were open. I figured for the price I could wait on my return. I put them in with my black angus bull. He definitely bred one I saw it with my own eyes. He hasn't even looked at the cows. They were a little thin. My question is. Could the vet have missed an early pregnancy ? I don't have any vets close that preg check. Or could they just need some more weight? They all had calf's last year. Thanks. I was thinking of taking them away from the bull and putting them in a foot tall grass pasture I have for a couple months and then putting them back.

What is their BCS?
Are they vaccinated for lepto?
If they have calved in the last 3 to 4 months good BCS and been exposed to a hot bull they should be bred back.

I'd say if the vet palp actually took place they were open of very short bred.

If they were mine I would have my vet recheck them just for the peace of mind. Nothing worse than feeding hay all winter to open cows with no calf on them.

Yes the Vet could miss an early pregnancy. Even more likely the bull bred the other 3 unobserved after sundown or
before sunrise. All the cows are proven breeders and the vet checked them open and normal/cycling.
Any reason to question your bull's fertility?
IF not, get ready to post pictures of the cows and calves next spring.

BCS = Body Condition Score
bcs = because

Do you know if they were pregnancy checked by palpation, ultrasound or blood work? If done by ultrasound or bloodwork, then I would believe the call of "open". If done by palpation, it is entirely possible to 'miss' early pregnancy.
If you saw the bull breed, for a 'standing' cow, then seems to me, she was open.

If you p11 hundred for the bunch, that's certainly cheap enough. If you can wait, put them on good pasture, with your bull, after about 45 days or so, pull blood on all 4 for a pregnancy test. and if they're still open, then I would be inclined to sell them.

Workinonit Farm":hg93i6b6 said:
If you p11 hundred for the bunch, that's certainly cheap enough. If you can wait, put them on good pasture, with your bull, after about 45 days or so, pull blood on all 4 for a pregnancy test. and if they're still open, then I would be inclined to sell them.
Or the Bull!!

Bull is ai son of Renown 3439. He gets the job done! These cows were open and were thin . They have been with bull about 40 days now. One is bred I witnessed it pic below

Son of Butch":3dk1wfwh said:
Workinonit Farm":3dk1wfwh said:
If you p11 hundred for the bunch, that's certainly cheap enough.
There is No Way anyone bought 4 healthy 1100+ lb cows for only $1,100.....that's only $275 head.

Well, clearly I've made a mistake, by assuming, when I read what was written, $1,100.00 for 4 Herefords, that were thin (no mention of actual weight) that he/she did not mean that they purchased them for $1,100.00 for all 4. But rather, that they purchased them for $1,100.00 each (even though it was not stated that way). I should have assumed what was NOT written in the original post. :lol2: :lol2:

Either way, they were vet-checked as open, they've been with a bull for about 40 days (according to a post), the OP witnesses & photographed 1 being bred. So, ultimately, if they do not get pregnant, or are not pregnant after 60, 80 (however many days) then either the cows are infertile or the bull is infertile.

I'm sure I've missed something else, or made another wrong assumption. :lol:

No 4 cows for $1100. Actually trades 140 bales of alfalfa For all not each

He wanted 225 bales. I told him no. And offered 125 We settled at 140.

That comes to 300 froghides a cow in this neck of the woods.
He could have gotten 12 tons of Hay here for that price along with a feather.
Your either an excellent horse trader or the other fellow failed the IQ test for the day.
Cause he could have sold those cows all day long at bottom of the barrel price for 6 bills in reality they would have fetched closer to 7 and put folding money in his pocket after he bought hay.