Very interesting hybrid.....

Help Support CattleToday:

Muddy

Reaction score
Found them on Facebook. They're hybrids of Indian Gaur and commercial cattle. They're in Texas
Screenshot_2015-12-21-20-50-16_zpsjmucfody.png

Screenshot_2015-12-21-20-50-33_zpsrngudfxt.png
Screenshot_2015-12-21-20-51-02_zpsgccfyipm.png
Screenshot_2015-12-21-20-51-10_zpspzvvcjtl.png
Screenshot_2015-12-21-20-49-58_zps6huyosb5.png

I agree with you,TT. I don't know what is their goals with Gaur hybrids. I thought they were interesting.

Gyr are some very hardy cattle as well have super mothering abilities.
They are in the American Brahman ancestry that Shanghai Pierce started.
Those Gyrs just haven't been cleaned up.

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fpi08

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/atb01

The Brahman or Brahma is a breed of Zebu cattle that was first bred in United States from cattle breeds imported from India. Brahma cattle were produced by cross-breeding Kankrej, Gujarat, Ongole, and the Gir strains

Caustic Burno these isn't Gyr. We're talking about the Indian Gaur, world's the largest bovine. These are just Gaur hybrids.

Caustic Burno":3878gs7x said:
Muddy":3878gs7x said:
Caustic Burno these isn't Gyr. We're talking about the Indian Gaur, world's the largest bovine. These are just Gaur hybrids.

Pardon me I misread continue on as I know absolutely nothing about them.
. Don't think you'd be any better off if you did...

I've had a low percentage gaur hybrid before...

She was a sweet heifer, but not all are. They can be VERY athletic.

VERY hardy cattle. Heat adapted and slick haired.

Walnutcrest, where did you got your Gaur hybrid from? I've seen few Gaur hybrids being advertised on Texas game hunting ranches. They looks like they can thriving in bushy environments and still have plenty of muscle without any help from humans.

It was an interesting deal ... I never owned her; she was owned by a friend of mine. She was on our pastures for a year or so as a part of a trade of sorts I did when I was first getting started. He had some cattle I wanted and he was short on grass ... so ... I traded him grass, management and live cover with my bull for the cattle I was wanting. He sent me a bunch of heifers he wanted bred to the Aubrac bull I had at the time and one of the heifers that arrived (actually two of them now that I think about it) were 1/4 Gaur. The other 3/4 was some version of "who knows what" but I believe that part of the "who knows what" was bison. He had quite a herd. If I remember correctly, one of the heifers was 1/8 or 1/16 yak.

Also, they are finer boned with good/high yields. The flesh was good eating ... if I'm remembering correctly ... one of the two heifers refused to stay in our pastures and after a dozen or so times getting out, this friend of mine agreed to let me butcher her. It's been a while ... so I may be misremembering which heifer of his we butchered ... but ... if I have it right, she was yummy.

Your friend remind me of someone lives next town with odd looking bovines. I'm not sure what they are but they're either bison or yak hybrids or maybe yakkalo. Very interesting critters that's for sure. Did he got calves out of his heifers and your bull?

Latest posts